Sign in to follow this  
Jedi2155

Magnetic Storage

Seagate announced a 12 TB drive with an up and coming 16 TB drive by 2018.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11084/seagate-confirms-plans-for-12-tb-hdd-in-near-future-16-tb-hdd-due-in-2018

Presently, all my drives together only adds up to about 10.5 TB (2,2,3,4,0.5). One of these drives could backup all my drives. My wife is starting to create a lot of 4k content as well resulting in a new need for lots of storage. Finally seeing a big jump in large capacity storage is nice.

With HAMR tech which we've been hearing about for the past decade finally coming to fruition, I'm wondering how reliable and how fast they are. Compared with SMR, which I heard has some serious re-write speed issues, I hope it would be a little faster although with not sure how important it would be for bulk storage.

hmmm 4k content ehhh.

this is prob unrelated but do you guys have trouble having a 2ndary storage drive with slow start?

i have a 1tb storage drive but every time i try to access it there is a few second delay to get it going. or my hard drive busted ?

Tino if it's a WD Green or any drive with energy saving features, they often remain completely off until you access them. The initial spin up sometimes takes between 2-10 seconds.

I personally bought 4x4TB WD Reds for my NAS and I'm fairly happy with my Raid 5 setup, it provides me with 12TB of storage and I'm currently sitting around 7-8TB in usage. If I ever need to upgrade it's going to be a bit painful, but at this point I'm not super worried.

I also dislike the idea of buying 1 very large drive at this point. There's too much risk putting all that data in one place with zero redundancy.

I don't know what your current data setup and usage is Richard, but I would strongly suggest getting a dedicated NAS unit, a nice battery backup and centralizing your data, or at least all your backups, onto one device.

The alternative is to go buy S3 space and let amazon hold onto your data, but that's up to your individual usage needs.

Tino if it's a WD Green or any drive with energy saving features, they often remain completely off until you access them. The initial spin up sometimes takes between 2-10 seconds.

I personally bought 4x4TB WD Reds for my NAS and I'm fairly happy with my Raid 5 setup, it provides me with 12TB of storage and I'm currently sitting around 7-8TB in usage. If I ever need to upgrade it's going to be a bit painful, but at this point I'm not super worried.

I also dislike the idea of buying 1 very large drive at this point. There's too much risk putting all that data in one place with zero redundancy.

I don't know what your current data setup and usage is Richard, but I would strongly suggest getting a dedicated NAS unit, a nice battery backup and centralizing your data, or at least all your backups, onto one device.

The alternative is to go buy S3 space and let amazon hold onto your data, but that's up to your individual usage needs.

Even without energy saving features built into the drive, Windows has had the ability to spin down drives since at least '98 after some amount of inactivity. I experience it regularly (well, semi-regularly since I don't use it often enough to be a regular issue LOL).

As for my redundancy aspect, I was thinking of the 12 GB drive as a backup for all my existing data TBH. I actually don't have that much content that I'm afraid of losing, as I think i'm only around 50-60% utilization of my storage most of which I'm not afraid of losing. The stuff that I am concerned about I have it on, DVD-R, CD-RW, 2 flash drives, OneDrive, DropBox, disconnected external HDD, primary SSD, and secondary connected HDD, and other PCs these are the same files... old school work etc.). So yeah...redundancy....you don't need to tell me about that lol.

My storage presently is:

C: (500 GB) OS, Programs, Primary Games, Temporary Storage

G: (3 TB) - Games, Game Images

M: (4 TB) - Media (Movies, Shows, Photos)

S: (2 TB) - Software (Installers, ISOs, Programs, Secondary Backups)

N: (2 TB) - External Backup (powered on roughly once a month), Primary drive image, plus primary backups (this is my do not lose drive and 2nd thing I would grab in case of a fire or emergency).

Since most of my most important documents hasn't changed much since I finished school, a copy of them is on a flash drive I keep outside the house, one in the house, and I have a few burned DVD's with them on it as well for longer term storage.

My primary use of a 12 TB drive, would be a tertiary backup of my C,G,M,S drives for even further redundancy.

As much as I would love a 24/7 NAS system, I can't really justify it because any data I need regularly I just use the cloud. If I'm at home, I just keep my PC on and its on the network already. Since I don't live with my family, I haven't found a need to share my data with anyone else either (my wife doesn't use my files very much).

figure, maybe i can find out how to turn that feature off. cause i have some game on those drive; every time i hit my steam game list the whole thing froze for a bit.

i dont have a lot of data storage other than pictures and most of my pictures are on google photos.

• WD Greens have been discontinued: www.kitguru.net/components/hard-drives/anton-shilov/western-digital-to-abandon-green-brand-in-favour-of-blue-hdds/
  • Excuse me over here, I can't even fill one 4TB storage drive which also has backup data from my mom and phone(s)
  • WD Greens have head parking. Read some of the comments here: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/3htwwc/do_2015_western_digital_greenn_hard_drives_still/

• With PCs getting smaller, I expect external enclosures to become even more the norm with the primary drive (SSD in some form factor) to be the only thing inside.