Sign in to follow this  
kuhla

AMD Vega (GPU)

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Radeon-Vega-Frontier-Edition-16GB-Air-Cooled-Review

Performance is roughly between a GTX1080 and GTX1070 when it comes to gaming.  It does have some minor advantages from a professional usage perspective. 

If this is indicative of the performance we'll see for the consumer cards, then I don't expect them to release anything that matches the 1080 let alone a 1080ti.  I guess we'll see if they can compete on price instead. 

Good link.

I like the aesthetics of the card.

I like the rear IO.

Then I get to the second page ("Answering Questions Before you Ask") and, just like the rest of this launch, it's a dumpster fire.

I want to like AMD. My next PC will probably have an AMD CPU but jesus.... I just keep getting surprised by how bad they are handling all of these launches....

I think it's two-fold issue.  They clearly are trying as hard as possible for a first mover advantage - which worked against Intel.  They're still garbage at the "software" side of things.  AMD drivers are still updated very infrequently and as the review mentions they're using some branch from a January driver build.  I think AMD is an engineer focused company (for better and worse) they have decent hardware, but they're shitting on board partners, and practically paper launching everything.  They sincerely need some better high level project management to provide board partners with enough time as well as create enough stock to launch successfully.  The software thing will probably never get truly fixed - it's one of the major reasons why I can't ever consider buying an AMD card.  I don't always enjoy that Nvidia releases 2-3 drivers in a month depending on games releases and other stuff, but I'd rather have it that way than AMD's driver release schedule. 

I think it's more accurate to consider this card somewhere between Nvidia's quadro line and their titan lines.  Unfortunately that doesn't really excuse the middling performance or the fact that they're choosing to launch the professional card first rather than the flagship cards.  The only rationale I can think of for this is that this card was ready to be released first and they need to do a bit more cleanup before launching the consumer Vega cards.

Reviews are out.  Looks like it's fairly comparable to a gtx1080 which is rather surprising to me.  Anandtech has it slightly beating the 1080 and hardocp shows it slightly losing to a 1080, could be a difference the 1080's that they were testing with. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11717/the-amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-and-56-review

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/08/14/amd_radeon_rx_vega_64_video_card_review/1

Yeah, HardOCP was a little harsher on the card than Anandtech but I think their final conclusion ended up being fair.

I think for the most part most people agree Vega 64 = 1080 (non-TI) on average for performance but at a bit higher power, noise and heat.

It sounds like the Vega 56 will probably beat the 1070 in price and performance so the battle is probably a bit more interesting at that price point.

I know anandtech specifically mentions using a 1080 Founder's Edition, but the Hardocp article just says it's a 1080 and 1070.

I think this actually leaves both companies in a solid position.  Nvidia clearly beat AMD to market by 15 months, and because of the 1080ti (and Titan X) they retain the single card performance crown.  I think AMD is also pricing their cards rather aggressively to try and capture a bigger share of the high end GPU market.  Nvidia doesn't have to rush to market with the 1180 (or whatever it will be called) they can sit pretty and milk their current gen sales for roughly another year.  It also means that people who pay for the nvidia high end cards at launch can still feel fantastic about their purchase, they'll likely sit at the relative top of performance for 2 years, only losing to the 1080ti and titan X.  The AMD fanboys finally get a card they can be proud of that legitimately competes with one of the top end nvidia cards and as usual their mid to upper range cards offer a better price/performance ratio. 

I wonder if the all in one watercooled GPUs will become a new standard, I'd like to see that especially since I believe they're quite a bit cooler/quieter than the standard blower fans.  Although I did see a review mention coil whine being an issue. 

26 minutes ago, Malaphax said:

Although I did see a review mention coil whine being an issue. 

When I first got the GTX 980 I had some pretty loud coil whine coming from it and I was sure it was the card. I RMA'ed and still had a whine. Support told me to change my PSU and I thought it was just BS because I already had a decent PSU but I said screw it and did change it and all the coil whine went away. I was completely wrong. Nowadays I'm a little curious about posts when people talk about coil whine if changing the PSU would fix the issue.