Sign in to follow this  
kuhla

"Human embryos edited to stop disease" (BBC)

article - http://www.bbc.com/news/health-40802147

Scientists have, for the first time, successfully freed embryos of a piece of faulty DNA that causes deadly heart disease to run in families.

It potentially opens the door to preventing 10,000 disorders that are passed down the generations.

The US and South Korean team allowed the embryos to develop for five days before stopping the experiment.

The study hints at the future of medicine, but also provokes deep questions about what is morally right.

Seems like fairly big news. I am pretty firmly on the pro-editing side of this debate.

Gattaca-Best-Sci-Fi-Movie.png

While I am firmly on the pro-editing side, I'm curious how long it will be before we really start seeing genetically designed humans and how quickly that will lead to discrimination. 

Technically congress was inspired by the movie gattaca and passed the Genetic Nondiscrimination Act way back in 2008.  But considering how slowly legislation moves, I do worry about either undue burdens being placed on research or no oversight/regulation leading to a wild west that leaves our government struggling to catch up.  But that's nothing new.