Sign in to follow this  
Malaphax

[Netflix] Mindhunter

An agent in the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit tracks down serial killers and rapists.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5290382/

I think this series is fantastic.  I'm not normally a fan of "true crime" type of series but this... docudrama(?) is really solid.  It conveys the right level of creepiness, criminology, psychology and pathology to give it just enough science and facts to make you think while amping up the drama to keep you hooked.  I strongly recommend if you're at all intrigued by the trailer this is a really good series, slow burn but solid as hell. 

It's also partially directed by David Fincher who I consider a very strong director. 

Watched 2 episodes. I hesitate to call it a docu-drama vs just drama. They are building a whole story around it in the non-documented time. I'll keep watching though. Well made.

While I agree that it leans heavily on the drama side with the two FBI agents and their relationships, because the subject matter is so heavily based in reality it's hard for me to ignore the documentary elements.  I think it's similar to Netflix's series "The Crown" where obviously some of the show has been dramatized but the basic facts and events are still grounded in actual reality/history.  I agree it's not perfect to call it a docudrama, but that's the closest description I can find. 

I finished the second season.  I think this season was weaker overall, but still interesting.  The primary focus was on the Altlanta child murders - which technically still remain largely unsolved, because they could not prove the murderer committed all the crimes.  They also show bureaucratic meddling and severe incompetence on the part of the police and FBI, which is refreshing - considering most crime dramas only show the heroic detectives saving the day.  I think the show again leaned heavily on the characters' personal stories and  relationships, which this season felt unresolved.

Sidenote - Netflix usually provides a button to skip the opening credits, but the final episode of this season they changed the opening credits from a piano melody to a boy's choir, and they placed a bunch of single frame cuts of crime scenes and dead bodies throughout the standard opening.  Most western shows don't tend to mess with the opening credits, in fact I normally only see that in anime, but it worked really well in this series.