Tactically Inept

Black Friday 2017

kuhla

I'm not quite sure if this is because of BF but....

$1400
LG OLED55B7A 55" 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV (2017)
newegg - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9KB6CS3565&cm_re=lg_oled_55-_-89-007-490-_-Product
rtings review - http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b7-b7a-oled

Jesus... I'm telling myself I don't need it because I don't watch enough movies/netflix/etc. to justify but that's a good deal. 4K, OLED, infinite contrast, perfect local dimming, good response time, good input lag (for a tv), HDR, judder free 24p, can do 120hz @ 1080p... it can do everything.

For the brave and stupid willing you can head over to aliexpress for their singles day sale 11/11.

I've bought a handful of things off of their site before and aside from much slower shipping I've been rather satisfied with my purchases.  Of course for people like me I have to buy XXL stuff, so you better double check the sizing. 

On 11/9/2017 at 11:16 AM, kuhla said:

Glanced at a couple of those ads and it would not be such a terrible idea for me to finally invest in a small printer ;)

I'm a big fan of my Canon MX922 series (~$60-80) and I buy ink off ebay ($15 for 15 cartridges, look up CLI 221 or MX922 ink). 

On 11/9/2017 at 3:59 PM, kuhla said:

I'm not quite sure if this is because of BF but....

$1400
LG OLED55B7A 55" 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV (2017)
newegg - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9KB6CS3565&cm_re=lg_oled_55-_-89-007-490-_-Product
rtings review - http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b7-b7a-oled

Jesus... I'm telling myself I don't need it because I don't watch enough movies/netflix/etc. to justify but that's a good deal. 4K, OLED, infinite contrast, perfect local dimming, good response time, good input lag (for a tv), HDR, judder free 24p, can do 120hz @ 1080p... it can do everything.

The refurbs were going for $1299, and $1999 for the 65". For you, its a great TV, but keep in mind that there is a fairly high early adopters tax for OLED still as pretty much only LG produces them which means monopolistic prices. I expect prices to drop at a reasonable rate for this TV so depending on how much you're willing to pay for how quickly you want it, I'd say wait. After doing the comparisons myself, I'd rather pay for a decent LCD larger display than a better quality OLED at a smaller size at this time. Seeing as you mentioned you don't "need" a TV, I'd wait if I were you. Unless you're just swimming in disposable income of course, then f-it.

I'm in the market for an additional TV as I've moved my 55" to the bedroom, and a new TV for the family room, but the funding for the additional TV is still missing....and I don't want to go into debt. I've determined that the distance between my island the and TV is approximately 14' which means the desired size is in the 80" territory for 1080p. At 4k, I definitely need projection level detail. Still there will be closer couches as well which will be approximately 8' so a 65" is sufficient at the upper limit of 4K. I'm still wondering if I should wait for more OLED price drops or just go for an 80"+ when funding permits. 

*Edit*

Some '16 vs. '17 OLED differences

Beyond some styling differences, the 2017 models offer the following improvements over the 2016 versions:

• 25 percent brighter in highlights
  • 2 percent better coverage of DCI/P3 color (from 97 to 99 percent)
  • Compatible with Technicolor and HLG HDR formats
  • "Active HDR" mode
  • Technicolor picture mode
  • Dolby Atmos sound

On 11/13/2017 at 11:21 AM, Jedi2155 said:

I'm a big fan of my Canon MX922 series (~$60-80) and I buy ink off ebay ($15 for 15 cartridges, look up CLI 221 or MX922 ink). 

The refurbs were going for $1299, and $1999 for the 65". For you, its a great TV, but keep in mind that there is a fairly high early adopters tax for OLED still as pretty much only LG produces them which means monopolistic prices. I expect prices to drop at a reasonable rate for this TV so depending on how much you're willing to pay for how quickly you want it, I'd say wait. After doing the comparisons myself, I'd rather pay for a decent LCD larger display than a better quality OLED at a smaller size at this time. Seeing as you mentioned you don't "need" a TV, I'd wait if I were you. Unless you're just swimming in disposable income of course, then f-it.

I'm in the market for an additional TV as I've moved my 55" to the bedroom, and a new TV for the family room, but the funding for the additional TV is still missing....and I don't want to go into debt. I've determined that the distance between my island the and TV is approximately 14' which means the desired size is in the 80" territory for 1080p. At 4k, I definitely need projection level detail. Still there will be closer couches as well which will be approximately 8' so a 65" is sufficient at the upper limit of 4K. I'm still wondering if I should wait for more OLED price drops or just go for an 80"+ when funding permits. 

*Edit*

Some '16 vs. '17 OLED differences

My eyeballs are about 9-10 feet from my current 47". I've tried to guesstimate that 55" is probably the largest I can go at that distance before it feels weird to me. That being said I might move my couch a bit farther away someday so 55" is probably going to be my sweet spot for the foreseeable future.

However, like I mentioned, there is no pressing need right now simply because I don't spend enough time on my couch watching media to justify dropping that kind of money. No I'm not swimming in disposable income....

One thing is I feel like TV prices this year did not seem to drop much and BF last year was the cheapest some models ever got to.

I always go with the idea that bigger is better (because I feel too wide of a view is not an issue with me). THX determined that 36° FOV is the optimal image, but at my current distance maximum distance (sink to TV), its only at 17° (55"). With an 82" display, that brings it up to 24° Having just laid out my old couch in position, I can say 7 feet is the closest distance I can position myself which then provides me 42° (82"), 37° (65"),  31° (55").

Keep in mind that with a larger TV you can reposition your layout for greater options effectively extending your couch to screen distances. Still as you said, limited functionality with a limited disposable budget are the key limiting factors here. If you were entertaining guests regularly, that would be also be a use case (as that is mine most of the time).

One thing is I feel like TV prices this year did not seem to drop much and BF last year was the cheapest some models ever got to.

https://www.bfads.net/stores/best-buy/ads/black-friday/page-1

I would disagree here. A 50" 4k for $179 seems significantly better than last year. I see price drops across the board. The 55 to 65" had the smallest amount of price drops ($50-100 drops in the $600 to $1200 models). The low and high ends had the biggest relative drops. What metric are you using your comparisons at?

20 minutes ago, Jedi2155 said:

I would disagree here. A 50" 4k for $179 seems significantly better than last year. I see price drops across the board. The 55 to 65" had the smallest amount of price drops ($50-100 drops in the $600 to $1200 models). The low and high ends had the biggest relative drops. What metric are you using your comparisons at?

Sorry. This was bad wording on my part. The way I wrote it sounded like I was comparing it to black friday 2017 prices.

Model XYZ on sale black friday 2016 for maybe $999 down from $1299. I think to myself that summer 2017 (6-7 months later) it will probably be down to $999, or maybe even less, just to move out old inventory. I feel that assumption was wrong. I occasionally checked prices on a few models and I did not see them dip back to their black friday 2016 prices at any time of the year even though they were definitely getting older.

Based on your comment above I'm actually considering getting the TV now rather than waiting because I'd have to wait a whole year for a better price. My options are below:

LG OLED 65" OLED65B7  - $2150 - Link
Tech:3 Size: 1 Price: 2 
Samsung 85"  UN85JU7100 - $3500 - Link
Tech:1 Size: 4 Price: 1 (2015 top end model)
Samsung 82"  UN82MU8000 - $2900-3100 - Link
Tech:2 Size: 3 Price: 1 (2017 top end non QLED)
Samsung 75" UN75MU8000 - $2200-2300 - Link
Tech:2 Size: 2 Price: 2
Samsung 75" UN75MU630D - $2000 - Link + Sound Bar
Tech:2 Size: 2 Price: 3
Sony 75" XBR75X850E  - $2000 - Link 
Tech:2 Size: 2 Price: 2 
Vizio 80" E80-E3 - $2500 - Link 
Tech:1 Size: 3 Price: 2
Samsung 65" UN65MU6070FXZA  - $750 - Link 
Tech:1 Size: 1 Price: 3 

Fry's Black Friday throughout November sales still coming through:

Dummy Cameras lol...

https://www.frys.com/search?query_string=9241309&nearbyStoreName=false&site=96premail111717

New option for 65" low end:

Samsung 65" UN65MU6290FXZA  - $788 - Link
Tech:1 Size: 1 Price: 3 

Similar to the Best Buy model but it clearly states HDR Pro, and 3 HDMI ports rather than 2. Both models appear to Black Friday specials.

Based on rtings reviews (black friday special list) The Samsung MU8000 looks like a pretty decent option but it's kinda $$$.

Sidenote: rtings filter looked like it was gone/removed but it's still around you just have to drill down to a specific test and then modify the table filters from there as desired: http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion has just one column so easy to add more.

$900 for this 55" is pretty good.... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WVH9T2D

EDIT: Looks like BH has this for same price and no tax.... https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1320403-REG/samsung_un55mu8000fxza_mu8000_55_4k_hdr.html

EDIT: And Dell: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/samsung-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-un55mu8000f-uhd-tv/apd/a9662824/tv-home-theater?prg=1&VEN1=12578053-227502-27292e2d-88de-4d24-a167-ada0462ca056&AID=227502&dgc=CJ&DGSeg=DHS&c=us&s=dhs&cid=198375&lid=45846&acd=12309198375458460&VEN3=112204143242432782

This is just on sale everywhere?

Charles Tyrwhitt sale currently going on 3 shirts for $30/each and free shipping. 

http://www.ctshirts.com/us/USOT29

I'm debating going a bit ham on this sale, mostly because I need to retire a couple shirts and I should really get a pair of gray slacks.  I might also consider getting a more business casual sweater like this.  

I was also considering getting a few usb C cables and possibly a power pack.  I also really need to just bite the bullet and get a proper briefcase/bag and upgrade my lunchbox for work. 

1 hour ago, Malaphax said:

Charles Tyrwhitt sale currently going on 3 shirts for $30 and free shipping. 

http://www.ctshirts.com/us/USOT29

I'm debating going a bit ham on this sale, mostly because I need to retire a couple shirts and I should really get a pair of gray slacks.  I might also consider getting a more business casual sweater like this.  

I was also considering getting a few usb C cables and possibly a power pack.  I also really need to just bite the bullet and get a proper briefcase/bag and upgrade my lunchbox for work. 

So $30 per shirt or $30 for 3 shirts? Either way I have not been super satisfied with my CT shirts (baggy needs tailoring and creases super easily). I'm slowly migrating over to jcrew factory slim oxford which are also not perfect but are a small improvement for me overall. I will probably end up blow out the elbows on these too considering I have done that to like 4+ shirts over the last 3+ years from multiple brands.

It's $30 per shirt.  I've edited the above comment for clarity. 

Their shirts do crease, you need to iron them semi-frequently.  Every shirt I've ever worn, no matter how "non-iron" they claim it to be always creases, this is inevitable.
I find their fitting to be pretty decent and have not tailored their shirts, I've had good luck with 17" neck and 36" sleeves.  Everyone has a different body type so what works for me may not work for you. 

Did you mean J Crew or J Crew Factory?  I've bought some J Crew factory suits, which I think are pretty decent.  I haven't tried their dress shirts mostly because they're too casual for my tastes, I've been trying to buy shirts that lean slightly more on the formal/business side rather than the casual side of business casual. 

I'd consider trying to find some sport jackets/blazers but all the ones I've found are rather expensive.  I need to do some more digging. 

Aww man, missed the price mistake of the week so far. Sony XBR75X850E 75" (slightly better than the MU8000 for only $1298 (price mistake from $2000. If I wasn't so busy playing warships I probably would've caught this....

*edit*
Updated list with additional options new prices from Fry's

Link here -> https://www.bfads.net/stores/frys-electronics/ads/black-friday/page-15#viewer

LG OLED 65" B6A  - $1800 / 55" $1200
LG OLED 65" C7P - $2700 / 55" $1700
Samsung Q7F 65" - $2200 / 55" - $1500
Samsung 75" UN75MU6290 - $1500 / 65" $700
Samsung 75" UN75MU630D - $2000 - Link + Sound Bar
Samsung 82" UN82MU8000 - $3300 / $2300 / 65" $1300
Samsung 85"  UN85JU7100 - $3000
Sony 75" XBR75X850E  - $2000 / 65" $1000( 75" above at Amazon price mistake, only up for 2 hours)

Unknown 55" - $598
Unknown 70" - $999
Unknown 75" - $1599 (Suspect 2015 Samsung Ultra High End)

Great chart on Samsung 2017 TV models:

http://cdn.techandhouse.com/UN49J5200AHXPA/SamsungTVs2017ComparisonChart.pdf

I love their confusing names for Color/Black and Accurate Color features lol.

4K HDR Pro /  Extreme / Elite / Elite+ with Infinite Array

Essential Black Pro / Triple Black / Triple Black Extreme / 4k Elite Black / 4K Elite Black+ with Infinite Array

4K  Color Drive / Pro / Extreme / Elite

8 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

Great chart on Samsung 2017 TV models:

http://cdn.techandhouse.com/UN49J5200AHXPA/SamsungTVs2017ComparisonChart.pdf

I love their confusing names for Color/Black and Accurate Color features lol.

4K HDR Pro /  Extreme / Elite / Elite+ with Infinite Array

Essential Black Pro / Triple Black / Triple Black Extreme / 4k Elite Black / 4K Elite Black+ with Infinite Array

4K  Color Drive / Pro / Extreme / Elite

Triple Definition Clarity Pro with Infinite Accuracy Contrasting Array Defuser