Tactically Inept

AMD Ryzen 2 (Pinnacle Ridge)

Jedi2155

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3022776/amds-ryzen-2-processors-are-reportedly-arriving-in-early-2018

ETA end of Q1 early Q2. It'll be called the 2x00 series to compete with the Intel 8th and 9th gen CPUs. Here's hoping to single core performance parity!!! If that was the case then Ryzen would be highly recommended...rather than go for it.

"The best thing about these CPUs is that even though AMD are launching a new chipset (A420/B450/X470?) to support the new CPUs, existing motherboards (A320/B350/X370) will only need a BIOS update to support them. ARE YOU LISTENING INTEL?"

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AMD committed to using the same socket AM4 through 2020.  I imagine that covers Ryzen, Ryzen+ (pinnacle ridge) and Ryzen 2.  The naming gets a bit murky with the Ryzen + or Ryzen 2 thing, I've seen both.  I think they'll probably end up calling it Ryzen 2 for simplicity but I expect this to be a smaller revision and performance bump than the next release which will have a die shrink as well. 

big_matisse_picasso.jpg

I might consider upgrading once I see performance numbers of the new Ryzen release.  I've heard they also plan on increasing the memory clocks supported which might help a bit as well. 

Pinnacle Ridge definitely looks like a "Ryzen +" on the technical level if its utilizing the same architecture but the marketing folks always do whatever they want. It seems likely that it might have a few architectural changes (like between Broadwell/Skylake) or a pure optimization like (Skylake / Kaby Lake). Undoubtedly its a page out of intel's playbook for a while now (Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge, Haswell/Broadwell, etc.)

But I understand the marketing people on this front.  It's much easier to track changes that don't have +'s and other half steps.  It's easy to compare a 980 to a 1080 it's one generation to another.  It gets complicated when you're comparing a 1070ti to a 1080 because they're not really the same generation. 

AMD is just going to call this ryzen 2 and use the 2XXX series naming scheme to keep it simple and I'm alright with that.  I'm also ok with minor updates to the ryzen series and some better mobo/chipset support that a more incremental upgrade will bring.  Ryzen still stands as a very strong competitor and I have a feeling Ryzen 2 will make an even better showing. 

On 12/11/2017 at 2:44 PM, Jedi2155 said:

"The best thing about these CPUs is that even though AMD are launching a new chipset (A420/B450/X470?) to support the new CPUs, existing motherboards (A320/B350/X370) will only need a BIOS update to support them. ARE YOU LISTENING INTEL?"

This was one of the main reasons I went AMD for this build. I want a Zen 2 in 2019.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

article - https://www.anandtech.com/show/12233/amd-tech-day-at-ces-2018-roadmap-revealed-with-ryzen-apus-zen-on-12nm-vega-on-7nm/8

As announced at Tech Day, the update to 1st Generation Ryzen will be 2nd Generation Ryzen, coming in April 2018.

So first up along that line is Zen+. This will be the name of the core in the 2nd Generation Ryzen family, built on GlobalFoundries 12LP process.

To put this into context, this means we might see 4.3-4.5 GHz processors with the 2nd Generation Ryzen sticker where we used to see 4.0 GHz processors.

So it is going to be named "Zen+" and it will perform a few % higher but that will be because of higher clocks.

• 3 weeks later...

Today leaks are brought to you by the letter L. 

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5-2600-pinnacle-ridge-cpu-performance-leak/

Coming to the benchmark scores, the Ryzen 5 2600 scored 4269 points in the single-core test and 20102 points in the multi-core test. That’s around a 14.5% increase in single-thread 31.5% increase in multi-thread performance over the Ryzen 5 1600 in the same benchmark.

That seems pretty solid.  My only major issue is that last I checked, Pinnacle Ridge does not have on silicon fixes for Spectre/Meltdown.  While I think this is relatively minor (the newest Intel chips also don't have fixes and have more vulnerabilities), I wonder if it would be worthwhile to bide my time and wait for Zen 2. 

I also think the motherboard OEMs and chipset needs to show some improvements, I hope all the early issues that were present when Zen launched have been mostly cleaned up.  It would look pretty silly to see AMD and OEMs scrambling to release firmware updates left and right like they did with Zen's launch. 

I suspect most of the improvements could be due to a better Turbo management strategy. I.e. run at a higher frequency single core performance more often or generally how to manage the various states. It was mentioned that "Precision boost 2.0" was one of the selling point optimizations.

38 minutes ago, Jedi2155 said:

I suspect most of the improvements could be due to a better Turbo management strategy. I.e. run at a higher frequency single core performance more often or generally how to manage the various states. It was mentioned that "Precision boost 2.0" was one of the selling point optimizations.

That is a good point. If it hangs on to a higher clock on a higher number of cores, even if it's just for a little longer, that could push out a few more % performance.

Of course the easy way to do this is MOAR COOLING AND THEN JUST OVERCLOCK EVERY CORE TO THE HIGHEST TURBO CLOCK ALL THE TIME (which is what I did and many other people).

29 minutes ago, kuhla said:

That is a good point. If it hangs on to a higher clock on a higher number of cores, even if it's just for a little longer, that could push out a few more % performance.

Of course the easy way to do this is MOAR COOLING AND THEN JUST OVERCLOCK EVERY CORE TO THE HIGHEST TURBO CLOCK ALL THE TIME (which is what I did and many other people).

I was thinking your exact scenario whether or not this would make any difference for overclockers. IMO, I think it does because just increasing cooling doesn't mean there are power limits on the silicon. YOU CAN ONLY PUSH SO MANY PENSOS BEFORE IT MELTS. Essentially, more intelligent management of the power budget whatever it may be (65w, 125w, 200+ penkakas), better management of that budget can bring you closer to the silicon/architectural limits. Unless Ryzen isn't a power limited design in the 1st place.

• 2 weeks later...

Leaks! Get your leaks here!
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/full-amd-ryzen-2000-lineup-and-x470-chipset-details-leak.html

7sDdwJK.png

It looks like there's almost no difference between an X470 and B450 right now. Also it looks like they're staggering the release of the B450 chipset slightly, I guess that makes sense since they want to push people buying high end processors into buying high end motherboards. 

I wish people would calm down a bit with the citing the turbo numbers. Especially looking at that 2700x with it's 3.7Ghz base clock. I'm very suspicious of that XFR2 slide with the freq-vs-cores that never gets to base. That looks like someone in marketing made it. I bet by the time you get to load just half the cores it's already dropped any turbo.

I'm especially interested in the 2700x vs. 1700x comparison as it is a significant increase in base clock, and it has 10w more of TDP combined with the 12nm manufacturing bonus it has a good amount of headroom to work with. Its the CPU I'd be most interested in.

• 2 weeks later...

An early leaked review for the 2700x and 2600x.  Here's the part I found the most interesting. 

AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X-Core-Frequency-740x555

Looks like AMD really did figure out a way to keep multiple core clocks higher, that's rather impressive.  I also wonder if the dropoff in clock speed is purely a thermal constraint or if there are other factors. 

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-ryzen-5-2600x-cpu-review-published-online/

That looks nice. If that graph ends up being true, then the % performance increase that was mentioned earlier would make sense since we are talking about higher clock in just about all scenarios. I wonder if it is going to run a bit hotter because of that or not.

Seems to me their previous incarnation of Turbo was entirely half baked. In the sense that the design team said we don't have time to finish testing and developing a detailed operational plan for this feature so they just went full blast and a f*** it and ship it. Thus they were able to advertise the values without anyone really caring too much. 

The feature we see now is more likely a real attempt at turbo but I still wonder if its anywhere near the complexity Intel put into their turbo architectures which is quite advanced and silicon intensive (a large amount of silicon die was used to manage the turbo logic/power management circuits).

• 3 weeks later...

Preorders are up for Ryzen 2 CPUs and mobos.
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-costs-329-dollars.html

Asus Mobo offerings: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/asus-launches-amd-x470-series-motherboards.html

Just one point I want to make.  There are no m-atx offerings currently available.  But I do see a few m-itx offerings.

2 hours ago, Malaphax said:

Yea, that's a prerequisite for me because of my current setup.

Mine too.

2 hours ago, Malaphax said:

Here's the asrock board which does have optical out and is AC1220.  I think it's lacking the special audio driver SupremeFX that Asus puts on their higher end boards though. 
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157837

As usual. Leave it to asrock to come to the table with the slightly less nice, slightly less polished, feature packed alternative for a little less $$$.