Sign in to follow this  
Malaphax

My New Car: 2018 VW GTI

I bought a 2018 VW GTI. 

My current to do list:

• Tint Windows - I'm probably going to go with a very slight tint, either 40% or 50% depending on how that looks.  I also need a sunstrip because the built in visor is absolutely useless for people my height. 
  • Install Dashcam - I've had the dashcam for a while and have ordered the specific hardwire parts.  Installation looks easy enough, I'll call around to a couple of places just to see what it might cost to get it done professionally, but I will most likely be doing this myself. 
  • OBDEleven Stuff
  • Finish setup - This is pretty nebulous but I do still need to look through the electronics and probably play around with some settings.  I also need to do some cleanup like storing my cloth floor mats and cargo organizer blocks.  I also need to make sure I have my emergency kit in the car and some other minor stuff.

Initial thoughts on the car - mostly copied from the VW/Audi thread (new info in bold ):

• I consider the driving characteristics of this car to be roughly between my 2006 Subaru WRX and my mother's 2008 BMW 328i
    • The suspension isn't nearly as harsh as the WRX but it's not as soft as the BMW
    • It's harder to track my speed, which is similar to the BMW. This is partially due to not having to keep track of what gear I'm in and partially because the power feels less raw than the Subaru.  You don't feel like you're going that fast in the GTI/BMW there's less road noise and engine noise.  The GTI has more engine noise than the BMW but I wouldn't call it noisy. 
    • I haven't A/B tested this against Kuhla's GTI but I feel like the exhaust note is different - I know the exhaust tips are larger and I think that gives it a slightly deeper sound? I could just be full of shit.
  • The last time I drove a late model vehicle was when subaru loaned me a crosstrek for a week.  I'm still getting used to all the electronics.  It's a little bit overwhelming right at the moment, but I'm sure in a month I'll be used to it. 
    I can already appreciate the blindspot warning indicators and the backup camera.  I suppose I should make more use of stuff like android Auto and bluetooth pairing but I haven't had much of a chance yet. 
  • The auto engine shutoff is weird as hell.  I totally understand it but it feels a little bit too quick for my taste.  You basically need to california roll or that thing is going to shut off your engine.  I have a feeling I'll need to disable this in really bad stop/go traffic on the freeway.  I will admit the startup is much faster than I expected, there's almost no lag when you take your foot off the brake, and it does do the hill hold if you're on a slope. 
    I did find out there's a sweetspot to have your foot on the brakes but not have the auto shutoff occur, but it's very small.  I did in fact turn this off when I was in stop/go traffic on the freeway - I personally feel this system is too aggressive and I'd like to see it take an extra 1-2 seconds before deploying - The OBDEleven has settings to disable the system permanently, but I'd ideally like the option of either defaulting it to off (on initial startup) so it's still usable.  It doesn't bother me right now, but I can totally understand people who hate it. 
  • I had the somewhat scary experience of having the auto-braking deploy on me.  Some asshat almost sideswiped me on the way home from the dealer.  My foot was already moving towards the brakes but I could tell the autobraking deployed because it was about 0.75 seconds of full ABS braking just as I was starting to hit the brakes.  I'm glad this system works since it was a rather close call, it also gave me an idea of how aggressive the system is and what to expect.  I hope this system isn't put to much use...
  • Kessy is weird and getting use to that will take a while.  I guess I'll eventually get used to driving the car with the keys still in my pocket. 
    I'm getting more used to this, but it feels like some futuristic bullshit when I just walk up to my car and open the door, or how it responds once I sit in it and put on my seatbelt, the steering wheel does a little wiggle and the steering unlocks as a sort of cue that the car is ready to be started. The fact that my keyfob has a physical key on it that is basically useless is both amusing and silly in equal measure. 

Minor updates

I have noticed that the color shows dust/dirt much more than white, but I'm not super concerned about that at the moment.  I still need to play with the center display a bit since I don't quite understand some of what's being shown. 

regarding the jerk. is it lurching when it comes to stop? cause thats not supposed to do that. my a3 has this issues and the dealer replace the mechatronic. i doubt its this.

and in standard drive it should not rev hang if you are not on the gas or on the brake. (it should feel naturally falls into the lower gears).

yeah, i was gonna ask you about the pucks but the height looks alrite and you have not complain with shitty ride. but yeah double check.

cam install. the only hard part is taking off the a pillar liner. you need proper interior removal tools. running it into the center is easy and there is enough room on the front headliner. no major modifications needed.

49 minutes ago, kuhla said:

you know I didn't

yes, i was referring specifically to the A pillar liner. essentially that whole thing needs to come off to hide the cable from the pillar to the top front headliner. (which i dont think we did on your car.)

When I'm trying to come to a stop slowly if I maintain a small but even level on the brake pedal it does lurch a bit when it shifts down.  It's mostly noticeable when I'm trying to come to a slow stop.  If one of you wants to test drive it and tell me if it's ok or not, feel free. 

I don't think the pucks are there, but it's mostly just for my own sanity.  I've heard bad things about them either not being removed or only 1/2 being removed instead of all 3 on both sides.  Anyone have a jack I can borrow?

As far as the dash cam cabling goes.  I'm actually more concerned about making sure the wire isn't in the way of the airbag than I am about using proper removal tools to take off the panels.  I know kuhla did this himself and I'm confident I could do the install myself as well, but if a professional can do it for a reasonable cost, I'd lean towards that.

43 minutes ago, Malaphax said:

When I'm trying to come to a stop slowly if I maintain a small but even level on the brake pedal it does lurch a bit when it shifts down.  It's mostly noticeable when I'm trying to come to a slow stop.  If one of you wants to test drive it and tell me if it's ok or not, feel free. 

I don't think the pucks are there, but it's mostly just for my own sanity.  I've heard bad things about them either not being removed or only 1/2 being removed instead of all 3 on both sides.  Anyone have a jack I can borrow?

As far as the dash cam cabling goes.  I'm actually more concerned about making sure the wire isn't in the way of the airbag than I am about using proper removal tools to take off the panels.  I know kuhla did this himself and I'm confident I could do the install myself as well, but if a professional can do it for a reasonable cost, I'd lean towards that.

pay attention on the RPM when it does the lurch. does it dip and rise?

or they fall naturally til you stop.

does it do it all the time. every time consistently ? only when the engine is warm/only when its cold etc.

but honestly you would know if its busted. it was kinda annoying when it happen to my old A3.