Tactically Inept

Black Friday 2018

kuhla

16 hours ago, kuhla said:

2700 or 2700x or either?

Looks like I'd be wanting a 2700X at a minimum. I do stress out my CPU pretty hard on my daily tasks.

Now that I'm using my laptop regularly which is a i7 7700 HQ running two screens (2.8 GHz base, 3.8 Turbo), it feels tremendously slower than my old i7 4790k (4 GHz base, 4.4 GHz turbo), and with many tasks I could not do previously. It would not be uncommon for me to run (3-8 HTML5, Flash streams, and running a game simultaneously).

Part of the reason why Ryzen was intriguing to me, but I also need a good base clock for each the cores rather than turbo because they will all be loaded pretty hard. I liquid metaled my laptop as it was hitting 90C+ on the CPU after an hour or 2 (80C regularly).

17 hours ago, T1no said:

a monitor 1440p 27" 144hz

less than 500

There are plenty of options like this available right now if IPS/VA/TN does not matter to you.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&N=100898493 600338123 601115272 601191223 600417886 600255030 600030620 601303041 600030631 600077224 600338096 600030621 600490937 601191718 601311179 600555155 600338098 601110198 600012694 600554755 601297247 600338147 4814 8000&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

2 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

2700X

So I've seen it for $280 with additional bundle savings for multiple times now from Microcenter. I have seen it on ebay (from official store sellers) for $290. I guess the hope would be for $250?

Are you going to overclock?

3 minutes ago, T1no said:

prob would be wise to wait til blackfriday no ? or those good ones prob never go on insane sale ?

too many to choose from.

Wait until BF but start looking at models and options now. Something like the Acer Predator XB271HU has come down to $500 or close multiple times on sale and that is still one of the best out there overall period (27", IPS, 1440p, 144Hz, G-Sync, full stand adjustment). That is what I have.

19 minutes ago, T1no said:

is there a downside for Gsync ? if you are coming from vsync off?

visually or performance ?

other than my monitor cost 100 daulas ~ more 

Other than cost, there are no downsides to gsync. It is superior to vsync in every way. If you are not using vsync, and tearing does not bother you at all, gsync may not be that valuable to you.

This appears to be the same/similar screen (27", IPS, 1440p, 144Hz) but without gsync. Looks like the stand does not have any adjustment.

Still no good reason to buy before black friday. EDIT: That Acer Nitro in the reviews people are saying they bought it on sale under $400. Maybe that comes back?

15 minutes ago, T1no said:

would be nice honestly and i think im willing to pay that extra benji

tearing doesn't bother me much tbh. 

im assuming tearing bug you ? if you had to do it again was it worth it ?

I got it for around $500. Yes I would do it again. It has been in the "top 10" gaming monitors for a long time now. One of the things I think about with some of the newer ultra-wide 34" screens out there is that they are the same height. Tearing does bother me a bit, more in some games than in others, and I like the tech behind gsync although I think fast-sync is pretty cool too.

47 minutes ago, T1no said:

never heard of fast-sync. is that new ?

might turn that shit on now

Nvidia introduced it a couple of years ago but they did not make a big deal out of it which is understandable because it is not for everyone and not everyone likes it. I think it is a cool idea but I wish they would go "all the way" and pair it with some logic so that it would hold the last frame if the fps drops below the refresh rate. Right now it mainly helps if your fps is higher than the monitor's refresh rate (which you can imagine is much more common if your refresh rate is 60Hz).

The whole tearing topic is less of an issue with very high refresh rate monitors (100+) because the tearing is only visible for a short period of time but there are definitely still some people (like myself) that don't like seeing it so I use gsync.

got it thanks for the input. ill wait for black friday.

im actually also concerned that my gtx 1080 cant output the frames and the quality that i need(want) to play natively @ 1440p.

i enjoyed my max settings on my games. 

5 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

a lot of games still work well at 1440p with a GTX 1080, its just the occasional game that doesn't.

I should have mentioned this too. Good reminder. Yeah, I have 1440p and GTX1080. I play everything pretty much maxed out and I'm fine.

So  I got my Alienware Graphics Amplifier last thursday and set it up Saturday. I'm amazed at the performance and now I can run all 4 screens (1070 on Laptop, 1080 on 4K, 1440P UW, 1440P). Pretty happy with the performance too as I can barely tell the difference compared to my desktop.

Only issue is that I get occasional mouse lag when my CPU is hunting heavy....but I was getting that with the onboard GPU as well. I blame windows and/or spectre/meltdown.

I'm sorta interested in a decent sized 4k OLED TV.  I know kuhla got a great deal on his 55" LG OLED and I've been very impressed by the quality the few times I've watched something on it.  I'll be on the lookout for something similar. 

To complicate matters, I would need to look at mounting solutions, a wall mount with some height/swivel adjustment would probably be what I need.  What I'm concerned with is that the mounting needs to be done on a stone fireplace, which probably involves some rather serious anchors being placed.  I'd also be mildly interested in a sound bar to go along with the TV, but I'm not sure I've seen mounting solutions that accommodate both a TV and sound bar.
This is one of the few times I'd consider just hiring a professional to do the mounting/cable routing.  I'm decently confident in my handyman skills but drilling anchor points in a stone/mortar fireplace are right at the limit of my confidence level. 

7 hours ago, Malaphax said:

I'm sorta interested in a decent sized 4k OLED TV.  I know kuhla got a great deal on his 55" LG OLED and I've been very impressed by the quality the few times I've watched something on it.  I'll be on the lookout for something similar.

On of the better OLED ones I have seen so far is Best Buy

this one https://www.bfads.net/stores/best-buy/ads/black-friday/page-6

LG 55" OLED C8 for $1700

C series is higher end then what I have (B series) so that is why it costs a bit more

EDIT: Honestly though.... we need the Fry's ad.... but that releases late...

EDIT 2: Searchable: https://www.bfads.net/Search?search=OLED

15 hours ago, kuhla said:

I was not happy with this search. Could not get all the filters to stick that I wanted. Made a different one. See link below.

https://www.bfads.net/Search?search=55"&adtype=blackfriday&category=Televisions&t=items&p=1

Adjust green for desired size or OLED text and adjust yellow for page number.