Tactically Inept

Black Friday 2018

kuhla

I am considering replacing my parents old 50" Panasonic Plasma (from Black Friday 2007) finally. The actual TV is working fine still which is a testament to old Panasonic quality (as they regularly use the device) but the power consumption is kinda outrageous between 400-600 watts regularly for a 50". I expect a modern 75" to draw about 150w by comparison despite providing 125% more screen area.  So probably going to spend around $500 for that paid by my sister.

Still enjoying my 75" LG IPS and its really good WebOS 3.5 but man, the vertical only local dimming is terrible since my wife always requires captions, the captions ruins the dark scene contrast constantly.

I think Kuhla paid $1199 for his B7A last year. C7 only had a slight audio quality bump so if you're going with a soundbar, the C class had zero impact. In fact I think not until the E class was there any visual changes on the panels (which is mostly a surface treatment as the technology itself is the same).

Regarding what I paid for by B7, I believe that is correct. Got to wait for that Fry's ad. Regarding availability, I would not be surprised if the same situation occurred where the <$1000 TVs go fast and the >$1000 TVs are still available well into the day since there are just less people going for them.

I believe the major difference between the LG C series and B series is a slightly more powerful processor, which basically improves the speed of the smart TV apps and supposedly helps with high framerate content (120hz programming). 
I'm more interested in the B (because it's cheaper) but technically the C is a slightly better deal because it's a bigger discount. 

If the TV's aren't on good sale then I'll just hold off, this is a purchase primarily for my parents, who have been using a very very old 37" 720p piece of shit for the last 10+ years.  They've been getting more use out Netflix and my local plex server recently and I'd like them to have something bigger and nicer - plus it might get me to watch a few movies on it instead of watching everything on my PC like I currently do.

got my monitor

no visible dead or stuck pixels so far looks perfect.

all the ips business; display is great, love it.

some issues with gsync.

the display would blink every now and then blinked black on and off with the windows found new driver sound.

soo i looked on the interwebs and its seems pretty common and i believe there are multiple problems. flickering and blinking.

i have my tv attached to the same video card using hdmi cable. i found that this is the culprit. im not sure why; but its only when i have gsync on. if i have gysnc off it works fine no blinking.

when i detach the hdmi cable the monitor works fine. gysnc on and off.

i have to do few more testing and looking around. but soo far im liking this display.

9 hours ago, T1no said:

i have my tv attached to the same video card using hdmi cable. i found that this is the culprit. im not sure why; but its only when i have gsync on. if i have gysnc off it works fine no blinking.

I have TV connected with HDMI cable and no issues with gsync enabled.

1) "Perform a clean installation" of the latest drivers (416.94 released on the 13th yesterday https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/139905/en-us )

2) In the nvidia control panel, test between "Enable G-Sync for fullscreen mode." and "Enable G-Sync for windowed and full screen mode."

3) Double check the settings on the monitor itself to see if ULMB is enabled (I don't think so).

1. check

2.check

3. this i have not done.

4.i have a feeling its electrical. when tv is off the predator blinks roughly every 30 sec. 2x blink to black.

when tv is on everything is fine.*(ON not even displaying anything. its just needs to be ON)

lots of thread regarding flickering. i think the correct explanations would be blink.

like this 

Pixel 3 - $650
Pixel 3XL - $700

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/11/14/google-store-black-friday-cyber-monday-deals-pixel-3/

That's a more reasonable price for the phones.  I guess that's why they launched the phones at sky high prices, since this is the first time in recent memory that Google has had substantial Black Friday sales on their phones. 

This is my tentative wishlist.  I still haven't committed to anything yet (although I've seen a few good deals that I've missed). 

• 55" OLED
  • Wall Mount - preferably something reputable with 20+ inches of extension. I did some mental math and I need around that much to allow for a 45 degree angle with a 55" tv (48" wide - my rough geometry works out)
  • Chromecast Ultra - I know this is going for $50 and I might pick it up regardless.