Sign in to follow this  
Malaphax

Destiny 2

I have a few things I've been working on in game.

At some point if kuhla manages to level up a bit, I'd like to run some of the harder content as a group.  Nightfall strikes and the dungeon Last Wish. 
I'm still enjoying the game quite a bit. 

Current status and recent thoughts. 

I'm ~620 power level.  Yesterday I smashed through a ton of iron banner (pvp) and used malfeasance most of the time. 
Speaking of malfeasance - the hand cannon is good, but not amazing.  It's perk is that if you land 5 shots on an enemy it causes a big explosion.  This means if you're outside your range and you land 5 shots you still kill people in pvp.  That being said, if you're outside of range you're probably getting dumpstered by someone with a pulse rifle.  I might swap back to ace of spades since it has one of the longest ranges of any handcannon in the game, most people say this thing is fantastic in pve and still great in pvp. 

General thoughts on pvp remain the same.  I think the pvp in this game is mediocre, while I rarely run into players with bad connections, the team balance is atrocious and the weapon balance gets very silly.  Also since I'm not a huge fan of shotguns I get somewhat frustrated with the current meta being very shotgun focused.

I bought black armory and managed to do the first forge and get the hammerhead machine gun.  I haven't really used it yet but it does give me a decent MG to use instead of thunderlord if I'd like to use a different exotic weapon.  I still think thunderlord is overtuned and needs a slight rebalance, but this game seems to have 2 weapon categories - busted and garbage.  I'll slowly work on some of the forges since I've seen stats on those weapons and they seem solid - the pulse rifle in particular I've heard is good. 

In general I'm still really happy with the game, most questlines are a little bit long but the gameplay loop combined with the constant goal for the next thing has been surprisingly enjoyable.  I honestly didn't understand why people liked loot focused games but I think this game has finally given me a bit more perspective.  I still don't see myself grinding hard for a specific "god roll" on a weapon but I've definitely done my fair share of playing different modes or using different weapons to go for unlocks. 

To counterbalance all the positive stuff.  I think this game has some glaring flaws, notably the lack of customization options (stats & visuals should be separate), lack of token system for some high end gear (exotics, legendary/masterwork equipment) and the daily/weekly system being "go to the tower and talk to everyone... oh you only have so much room for quests lul" is utter garbage - at least most of the weekly stuff is tracked without needing to talk to npcs. 

Sidenote.  The more I play this game the more I wish I had rolled a titan as my main, I feel like the higher health pool and stronger melee fits my playstyle better.  But the thought of having to level up another character in this game isn't something I'm really interested in.  I just really dislike how alts are handled in nearly every game I've played.

Current status and recent thoughts. 

1. I'm at 590 power level with weapons I feel comfortable using that cover most ranges and uses (pve and pvp).
  2. I got Sleeper Simulant last night and I'm very glad that is done. I did not enjoy that.
  3. I've got about 60 hours in the game and the feeling of burn out is starting to creep in. I feel like I have put a lot of hours (for me) into this game in the last 7 days. I'm still not sure what kind of future the game has for me so I have not bought annual pass and will hold off on it for now.
  4. I'm happy with the class I chose and my current armor+super setup I feel is fun but does need a little team coordination to shine (*watches people stand in the rift and then run out of it to kill stuff wtf*).
  5. As much as the shotguns do feel amazing strong in pvp (I use one) I have a special hatred for thunderlord. There are definitely other instances of weapons that feel out-of-balance (very weak or very strong).
  6. I have noticed that pvp team balance really requires you to sit out for a bit unless you want to be teamed up with the same/similar people round after round.
  7. Loading times are very annoying. I think running this game windowed so I can alt tab to a browser is almost mandatory for my sanity. If FPS is taking a hit, it is not enough to matter.

iron banner 5x and lost all of them. keep getting regroup with a 3 man shitter. eventho it says regrouping with better match.

thx bungo

I've taken the advice of a few people, if the matchmaking is terrible, just go to orbit and take 2-3 minutes before requeuing.  I've also tried focusing on my individual play more than the wins/losses - that's not a perfect system but I do try that.

I'd like to try and group up this weekend and do the whisper of the worm quest - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-08-03-destiny-2-whisper-quest-whisper-of-the-worm-5382

I swapped out my exotic armor to a helmet that gives me hp/shield when I dodge, it seems slightly better in pvp and for some pve when I need a panic heal - it saved my ass in the first forge a couple times.  I'm also going to try out the arcstrider subclass in pvp again to see if the added melee bonuses are worth it.  If I'm feeling extra lame I'll embrace the garbage and try running a shotgun. 

I've definitely been grinding this game far more than I expected and I'm sure if I'm not careful I'll experience burnout but I have a few games and media waiting in the wings if I ever feel the need for a break. 

Sidenote - I mentioned this back when I first tried out Destiny 2, there's no games coming out in the next few months that have my attention (anthem lel) so I feel like Destiny gets to occupy the niche of "that game I'm just playing when I've got nothing else to play"  We did that a bit with overwatch (which is why I'm sorta burned out on that) and for now I'll just play this or a few single player games I have in my back catalog.  D2 has enough grind and long term goals that have kept me entertained.  If they drip out content over the next 5 months I'd probably be happy to make this a regular game I log into. 

This is a very detailed multi-thread that covers a ton of info about weapons and recommended rolls/traits.  Keep in mind there is some pvp bias in this, but he does mention pve content as well in his individual breakdown threads. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/aa0a8z/merculess_massive_breakdown_of_destiny_2_massive/

1 hour ago, Malaphax said:

This is a very detailed multi-thread that covers a ton of info about weapons and recommended rolls/traits.  Keep in mind there is some pvp bias in this, but he does mention pve content as well in his individual breakdown threads. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/aa0a8z/merculess_massive_breakdown_of_destiny_2_massive/

Definitely seeing a lot of sections discouraging the use of autorifles, scout rifles and smg. Apparently I should be using more hand cannons and sniper rifles in all game modes.

Keep in mind that there's a large difference between what's good in PvP and what's good in PvE.  The ttk values are for PvP, but the differences in burst or sustained dps can make things in PvE complicated.  Most autorifles are mediocre, with breakneak being the major exception.  In general pulse rifles are slightly overtuned in both PvE and PvP.  Shotguns are mediocre in PvE with the exception of the ikelos SG, but in PvP they're super good.  Hand cannons are good but lack range (ace of spades is the exception) so they're map dependent in PvP but in PvE they're great.  To provide a counterpoint, I have the ikelos SMG and have used that in PvP with decent success, you just can't take long range engagements. 

My limited understanding of this game is the PvP is going to require some changes based on the map selection.  Gambit generally utilizes longer range options (snipers, and pulse rifles instead of hand cannons and shotguns).  PvE is whatever you like, but hand cannons and pulse rifles seem to be top tier for most content. 

Overall strategy in PvE seems to be kinetic should be your red bar killing weapon, energy should be your yellow bar killing weapon and heavy is for bosses.  You should also have decent options at most ranges, or at least a backup long range weapon for encounters that need a bit more range.  I've got a bygons pulse rifle that I keep just for this reason - bows are a valid option as well.
I mentioned I use the fusion rifle Loaded Question for most PvE content because I've found it's very useful against yellow enemies and can be used to clear groups of enemies with the opening shot.  I've been trying different strategies but my main loadout seems to be breakneck (minor spec mod), loaded question (major spec mod), and either thunderlord or sleeper. 

Snipers are a tougher sell, they work great for clearing yellow bar mobs but you need decent aim, because bodyshots are worthless.  Unfortunately, the incoming damage flinch combined with mobs utilizing the Ben Rothwell brand of head movement, sometimes you can't land headshots to save your life.  In PvP I rarely see them used, in Gambit I see a fair amount of them. 

If you need a seed of light to unlock your subclass go bring an offering to mara sov in the observatory this week. 
The dungeon is also active again this week.  We could try getting the wishender bow sometime this weekend - but it is rather involved. 

We're getting another content drop for the season pass - the 4th forge should be unlocked sometime today after people solve a puzzle/riddle. 
People also datamined the new exotic hand cannon which also has a long questline you need to complete to get it.  It's designed to shoot quickly from the hip rather than aiming down sights, so I imagine it will be a close range monster. 

11 minutes ago, Malaphax said:

We could try getting the wishender bow sometime this weekend - but it is rather involved.

Am I missing something or this seems pretty simple but just kinda long? Kill mobs, get orb, place the orb, spawns boss with adds, kill, go to the next orb room, repeat, repeat?

@malaphax

i grind out that inzagi forge shit. im @ the part where you stuck on i think.

@kuhla - I can't tell if our previously clear will spawn that quest object or not - we may need to reclear the dungeon.  You then also have to do some additional work inside the dungeon.  Either way it's going to take at least 1 more dungeon clear with some additional bosses.  We have whisper of the worm now, and I guess I can break out the tractor cannon like we did last time.  Either way, we're all a bit more powerful and better equipped. 

@tino - Yea I'm up for doing that, just message me and we'll clear it.

Dear diary, I hit 650.

Currently working on the following:

• Jotun - You get 2 chances at this per week, by forging powerful weapon frames in Bergusia forge.  I've run into a handful of people with this, it's really strong - especially in gambit. 
  • Blast Furnace farming - I really want to try and farm one of these since it's available this week.  Ideal rolls I'm looking for are: feeding frenzy, kill clip. 
    Alternatively, I'd be ok with farming gambit weapons in the forges - hoping for a better roll on my bygones (current roll is high impact reserves, outlaw - ideal would be rampage/killclip & outlaw)
  • Various Min Maxing - My gear is sorta hodgepodge and I'd like to try and fix that a bit.  I'd also like to start using weapon and armor mods where appropriate. 
  • Izanagi's Burden - This requires quite a bit of work including running the Shattered throne dungeon (which will not be available for another 2 weeks) but I'd like to do what I can. 
    We might be able to wrap this into getting the wishender bow - which might be cool. 

We should also try and do a few nightfalls with higher multipliers.  I think considering our current levels/gear we could easily crush through the weekly assignment of 100,000 score. 

i want that blast furnace pulse rifle its super strong in pvp.

It's an option for this week, along with the machinegun which are the two powerful frames I'll do.  I'm happy enough with my bygones but on paper the blast furnace can roll with better perks and range. 
Weekly reset: https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/agam8k/d2_weekly_reset_thread_20190115/

Pulse Rifle Comparison: https://www.light.gg/db/items/compare/?h=ChqZIF;DlFs9A;h4tyv;D2p4co;vQH0w;_3nKC;DGOtcS;DJP9-S;BSpdyM

My hammerhead isn't the greatest roll either (feeding frenzy, genesis) but I'm not super worried about it. 

So I got the blast furnace with feeding frenzy/kill clip and yes it's almost broken how good it is.  I wish I had a lower zoom scope on it but that's fairly minor compared to the main rolls being correct. 
I'll still work towards Jotun, although I'm seeing less people use it than I expected, I wonder if people posting about how "broken" it is are mostly on console where they can't easily strafe away from the projectiles. 

Since we played plenty iron banner, I ended up using the Gwisin Vest which is really strong for pvp, but mostly garbage for gambit and pve.  I'd still like to get Shards of Gallanor, but with the upcoming changes to blade barrage and golden gun I have no idea how balance will change, and I might want to wait to see what people recommend.  Honestly hunter exotic armor seems fairly lame, with very few good options. 

nice

i got another hammerhead but shitty rolls.

got le monarque and its honestly its prob one bow that is somewhat useable on crucible (to me at least). but then to be fair the previous bows ive use its not 650.

1 hour ago, T1no said:

.....its honestly its prob one bow that is somewhat useable on crucible (to me at least)......

I think I mentioned this previously but I had one night where I decided to use Arsenic Bite-4b (explosive head/rampage) in crucible and I did way better than I expected

Yea, I've pulled one more blast furnace just to giggles and it also had feeding frenzy/kill clip but also accurized rounds and a slightly better scope (but still not amazing) and a range masterwork.  Right now the range stat is maxed out, which I've heard is what you want on PC. 
I also randomly got 2 more exotics the last couple days - The Prospector and Cerberes +1.  I don't have any intention of using either of them right now but, I'll keep them in my bank since they're 650. 

I still need to get a better shotgun for PvP because my current one is mediocre, but it's not really a high priority.  I'd rather manage to get a Jotun to drop and try using that. 

I've been enjoying the PvP modes more now that I'm properly maxed and have decent weapons.  Last night a played a couple rounds of iron banner and it was just blast furnace all day - I'm mildly tempted to try playing some ranked PvP because there are some reward tracks associated with it, but I've heard you run into a bunch of 6 stacks and high ranked players.  I'll see what happens. 

Big patch - lots of changes:
https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/47595

Overall everything was buffed except: Hunter - Blade Barrage, Warlock - Novawarp, Telesto (in PvP) and some exotic hunter armors that provided super energy back after damage/kills. 

Over the next few days we'll see a few youtube videos discussing the various nerfs/buffs and what the new meta is.  For right now I might try going back to the golden gun super - I just wish there were some better/cool exotic armors for hunters because the ones I have are so uninspiring it's almost not worth using them.

Edit: The 40% damage increase to Celestial Nighthawk is basically this: https://giant.gfycat.com/InfamousJoyfulKronosaurus.webm

EDIT #2: Whisper of the Worm quest is now available at all times.  Including the hard mode version.  That's actually pretty cool - I suspect that this is a precursor to having the Shattered Throne dungeon available at all times as well.