Sign in to follow this  
Malaphax

Destiny 2

Part 3 of the wall of text: https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/48072

I'm not thrilled with some of the stuff mentioned. 

• Changing ranked pvp to be 3 man instead of 4 - could be ok I guess
  • Adding a solo queue for ranked - that's great but that means that the 3 man pvp is going to be filled with mostly 3 stacks and the occasional poor solo getting stuck with a two stack.  Why would a solo ever queue for a regular ranked pvp match? Does the solo queue just populate the standard ranked pvp with better rewards?  Seems ultra confusing.
  • Nerfing super armor on roaming supers is a good start to fixing the pvp super problem.  Nerfing super gain is another good idea.
  • Communal Heavy ammo - but not in ranked.  Seems like you're making the team that's winning win even harder than they would be with a single person getting heavy, not sure why they think this is a good idea. 
  • "Retooling" damage  - yea honestly I don't mind them cutting numbers, I don't normally look at the numbers spitting out of mobs (and frankly I wish I could disable damage numbers entirely)
  • Buffs and Debuffs reworking is a good idea, I suspect this won't entirely fix the current meta but there's bound to be other nerfs/buffs that will shift things
  • Evolving World - This is a shitty idea, I've seen how this works previously and I know they're going to end up running into the same problems as Guild Wars 2, I hope they don't fuck this up the way it comes across in the bungie post.

The evolving world stuff sounds exactly like the mistakes they made in gw2 when Anet wanted to have "meaningful events" happen and if you missed them, tough shit.  That sounds like a cool way to maintain player engagement; gotta log in and participate in cool new stuff that won't last because of artificial scarcity!  But Anet quickly realized that you end up building content that only gets used once, that gets expensive, not to mention if you expand your player base the new players never get to see what went on outside of watching youtube videos.  Bungie mentioned that one of the first seasons will have vex outbreaks, which I hope means they'll just spawn in a bunch of vex in areas they wouldn't normally spawn, with maybe a few added roaming bosses or something.  But if they add content like a dungeon/strike/map and it gets removed after that season that's where it gets ugly.  The karka queen event in gw2 was kinda cool, and the fact that they brought back a smaller version of it after the fact made exploring that area even as a player that missed that event still interesting.  But on the flip side -the battle for lion's arch or the giant marionette encounters were one and done, and the entire playerbase desperately wants to replay some of those events.  Hell, Anet eventually re-released a different version of the tower of nightmares as a fractal.

I'm still interested in D2 and where it goes, I just hope I'm way off on how they do limited time events.   

There was a gameplay stream as well, if that gets uploaded I'll add it to this post. 

EDIT: Here's a thread breaking down some of the specific things shown on a very short stream.  There is a longer event later this evening and possibly additional videos that might come out of gamescom later this week. 
https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/csk5fz/breakdown_of_the_inside_xbox_stream/

EDIT2: Here's the upcoming season of the undying trailer.  It's vex focused and there will be "invasions" across multiple locations.  There will also be a raid focused on the black garden. 

https://www.bungie.net/7/en/Destiny/Shadowkeep?ciid=48001

Some minor/interesting bits. 
Power cap will be 960.  Remember everyone can reach 950, but only "pinnacle activities" drop weapons/gear over 950.  Also people are estimating that the seasonal artifact provides +40 max which would put the absolute maximum possible at an even 1000. 
Some minor rumors suggesting 999 is actually the absolute max because there's some weird lore/items in the game that talk about 999.  Either way, they've certainly extended the power cap for the next expansion/season.  I'm not sure how I feel about grinding 200 power out, or if each season will further increase the power cap, or just release a new artifact where you can grind up to +40.  Either way bungie have said they're trying a few new things with power and we'll see how this shakes out in October. 

You can now link your battle.net accounts to your steam accounts.  Tomorrow they will allow you to turn on cross-play if for some reason you feel like playing destiny 2 on a console/stadia. 
More info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/csyqht/d2_cross_save_faq_megathread/

1 hour ago, Malaphax said:

You can now link your battle.net accounts to your steam accounts.  Tomorrow they will allow you to turn on cross-play if for some reason you feel like playing destiny 2 on a console/stadia.

Actually the other way around, this is a client side option no? This could mean an influx or new players in crucible, gambit, etc.? If yes, I look forward to some fresh meat. Competitive crucible has been brutal (I think we can all attest to that).

EDIT: Wait, cross PLAY or cross SAVE?

EDIT2: Ok. It's cross SAVE.

Sorry, that's my bad.  Yea it's cross-SAVE.  You could theoretically take your current PC progress and boot up the game on another platform.  Where it gets weird is licenses are platform specific.  While I could technically boot up my character on xbox/ps4/stadia on October 1st, I wouldn't have the lisence to play the forsaken content or shadowkeep, just the free bits that come with new light.  I still think we might see an uptick in the PC population, but we won't suddenly be matched against console players (ever since shadowrun, no one does that). 

Speaking to the crucible grind, I've certainly started to notice the issues.  I've started running into leavers, and I've also run into some real pubstompers, with 2x2stacks or a full 4 man, not to mention just way better players.  I genuinely believe that their matchmaking system is straight trash and I hope the supposed fixes they have planned for Shadowkeep include some serious updates to their matchmaker.  Honestly, this just proves to me that pvp is an afterthought, which is weird coming from the same developer that made the early halo series. 

1 hour ago, T1no said:

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/48097

lets bail the clan and join a casaul clan want to do some raiding. or just make another clan and LFG in discord or bungie.com want to get ONE THOUSAND VOICES

Some options https://old.reddit.com/r/Destiny2Clans/search?q=PST&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=year

This looks big: https://old.reddit.com/r/Destiny2Clans/comments/bzup0l/pc_us_21_whiskey_mafia_50_active_members_discord/

About shadowkeep. I have spent $30 so far on Destiny 2 and I feel like that was pretty decent value. I skipped the annual pass because it seemed like you were paying money just to get access to a handful activities and some guns. Now it seems like they asking for....

$35 for Shadowkeep + 1 season pass included
or
$60 for Shadowkeep + 4 season passes included
or
$35 + $30 for Shadowkeep + 1 season pass + 3 season passes individually

.....which is starting to feel like a cash grab. I'm not exactly thrilled about it. I may again stick to just the "base" expansion and skip the extra seasons. I hesitant to dump cash on this game. I'm putting hours into it but at any moment I could drop this and go to something else.

From a math standpoint you're only saving $5 if you buy base shadowkeep, and wait to see if you want to buy the other seasons individually.  Considering each season is going to be 10 weeks (or at least the first one is) I can totally understand waiting and seeing if something else is going to catch your attention between now and the season of undying ending (December 10th I think?)
I would look at the upcoming games releases for this holiday period, offhand there's: Greedfall, Doom: Eternal, Outer Worlds, Halo MCC, Call of Duty, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, and Indivisible.  While most of those are single player there's certainly other games that might come along and take up your time. 

As far as the clan stuff goes, I'm totally fine joining a larger clan.  I've technically jumped through the hoops to get setup on the destiny 2 LFG discord, but I haven't ever made use of it.  I'd like to eventually get the final missions for Thorn and Izanagi's Burden done, but I'm not really in a rush for either. 
I genuinely want to at least try raiding in this game - I've heard it's super fun.  I'd be willing to carve out some time on a Saturday to do that, but it'd probably work best with a clan or at least some Sherpas willing to guide us and walk us through the mechanics. 

assuming that the content we received in shadowkeep equivalent with forsaken + 3 annual pass. i think its much better deal now

for 60 bucks.

forsaken full price with 3 annual pass was 70 dollars and 80 for digital deluxe

forsaken standalone is 40

Random garbage I'd like to do at some point but isn't time sensitive. 

• Izanagi's burden - the mission is a slightly harder version of pyramidion and you can't wipe or it resets you, I'm willing to try and 2 man this but a full group would be best. 
  • Thorn - the mission is a slightly harder/different version of savathun's song and you can't wipe or it resets you.  Same as above basically. 
  • Outbreak Perfected Catalyst - I really enjoyed this mission and the catalyst is a harder version of it, I think you need to run it 5 times (once a week I think) it does provide a nice buff to the rifle and I'd be willing to try this out.

I'm willing to hop on and help out with forges or other stuff if you guys need me, but I'm probably going to be taking it easy until next week when shadowkeep launches. 

2 hours ago, Malaphax said:

......but I'm probably going to be taking it easy until next week when shadowkeep launches. 

I gamed a lot more than usual this weekend so I will probably slow it down a bit this week.

I really don't follow all the news or read all the guides but I need some advice on the new gear system before I poorly use up a bunch of materials. The game itself has not exactly been the most helpful in giving a clear upgrade path.

Armor: So should I be slowly deprecating all my old armor and re-pull-from-collections, remake, get new stuff, etc? I'm guessing the answer is yes I should not just continue to "upgrade" (infuse) since it armor 1.0 without the slots and never will become 2.0 on its own.

Weapons: Pretty much same story. Should I just re-pull-from-collections or re-forge instead of infusing?

ive been doing the lazy way and use a lot of material because i was refusing to use weapons and armor that the game drop. i even dismantle the pre 2.0 armor stuff eventho the replacement 2.0 armor is worst (at the time). i figure i am going to set how i wanted to look and then i start unlocking shit on the armor slowly.

weapons; unfortunately you have to grind them and get it as a drop unless its exotics

same with exotics armor. cause if you pull from collection its guarantee 2.0 armor.

not exactly the most efficient but i usually pick up materials and do public events and trade them with spider.

If you're below 900, don't bother with any sort of infusing, just suffer with garbage until you hit 900.  You can talk to shaxx and dump materials on him when you have an uneven power level across gear, it will also slowly level up your gear (up to 900) but it's expensive.  I've also been hoarding the armor that you get in the season pass, so that when I have a piece that I need to bump, I can pull it specifically from the season pass, which helps make sure the next drop I receive is going to increase the level rather than just bump a lower power item up to what my other gear is. 

Weapons are a little different, I personally think you should take your favorite weapons and infuse them up to the highest level you can (especially once you hit 900), then every 5-10 power you should infuse them again.  You can scrape by with shitty gear, but shitty weapons make for a terrible experience.  Thankfully between vex offensive and all the other powerful gear you should always have something that's giving you better weapons to use for infusing.  Worst case hit up shaxx or zavala and they'll give you weapons/armor at your current power level. 

I personally have been trying very diligently to keep my armor inventory very clean.  I keep exotics (almost entirely 2.0) and whatever the highest power gear I have either equipped or if it's a 1-2 power difference blue, I might keep wearing a lower power purple if I've put some mods on it and upgraded it up to 5 energy.  Normally that means I only have 1-2 pieces of each armor (barring exotics) which helps me easily track what power my armor is at and what I need to upgrade or keep. 
Speaking of energy, I don't push anything past 5 energy because it starts using enhancement cores, everything up to level 5 only uses glimmer an a few legendary shards, which I have a reasonable supply of.  All the special armor mods are 4 or under so you can still take advantage of the seasonal artifact stuff, especially dealing with barrier/overload/unstoppable champs. 

Because I've been playing two characters, I've noticed that leveling a 2nd or third character is actually easier and cheaper than the first.  Right now I"m trying to leapfrog in a sort of A>B>B>A setup.  Because you can transfer higher power weapons easily between characters and help boost up your other characters quickly.  For one character, I would just focus on doing every possible powerful quest you can, and knocking out the few random exotic quests like risk/reward and the deathbringer exotic quest that eris gives you. 

I'm over 900.

EDIT: To provide an example two examples:

1) Do I re-pull an exotic chest piece from collection, making it armor 2.0, from collection and then infuse it up to my current level or do I take my current exotic chest piece, which is armor 1.0, and infuse it up my current level or is that a waste?

2) For my pulse rifle, do I go and forge a new one or infuse my old one?

for exotics armors i end up pulling the 2.0 ones and just suffer w.o the additional bonus till im more comfortable upgrading my armors.

for the blast furnace i think you can get better rolls with it. the one you have seems just alrite. reforge it.

Depends on how you plan to use the exotic.  If you're using them in PvP or Gambit, there's no reason to even infuse an older exotic because the power levels are normalized, just continue to use your existing 750 exotics if they have good rolls.  If you're using them in PvE, then you should pull from collections and infuse it up.  I would hesitate to infuse an exotic 1.0 up to current light levels unless it has really crazy rolls that don't exist - see this cheatsheet

Weapons with random rolls cannot be re-pulled.  If you have something you really like you need to infuse it.  If you have something you only sorta like, you can attempt to farm a specific weapon from the vex offensive or from the moon quests, or other activities. 
Exotic weapons can safely be infused.