Sign in to follow this  
T1no

Indonesia (sea) Trip 2019

https://step.state.gov/

What is STEP?    
The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

I will probably take care of this in the next couple of days.

I actually just saw this thread now since you guys are on the trip. Funny thing is I'm still getting STEP notifications from my travels in 2012 to the Philippines mostly warning about Islamist activities in Mindanao. 

Hope travels in Indo remain's safe and fun for you guys!

12 hours ago, T1no said:

THE QUESTION?

would you visit BALI again?

I think it is unlikely that I will go back to Bali mainly because it was not an especially cheap vacation in both cost (quick head math, around $2500?) and time (14-15 days) and there are plenty of other places I want to see in the future which will probably take my time and money.

If I were to go back to Bali, which is not impossible, I would probably plan the trip differently. Stuff like:

> Now that I know that walking or public transportation are not options I would look at staying at very specific locations that required limited amounts of moving around.

> More time in the water to help with the weather (humidity especially was rough for me on some days).

> Higher end airbnb/hotel/villa.

12 hours ago, T1no said:

THE QUESTION?

would you visit BALI again?

Highly unlikely. 

The travel time is steep ~24 hours each way - with limited layovers, which is one of the biggest issues for me personally.  Also the travel time in/around Bali/Lombok is a huge issue as well, the 100km drive from Denpasar up to Amed was 3 hours, the fastboat from Amed to Gili Air was over an hour but the waiting time surrounding it was another 1-2 hours.  I'm not going to sit down and calculate how long I sat in passenger vans driving from place to place when we were with the group, but I estimate it was substantial. 
While the beaches and diving were good, they weren't outstanding enough to make up for the long travel times. 

I've been comparing my Bali trip to my vacation last year in Turks & Caicos, and while they were two substantially different trips, I can absolutely see myself going back to the Bahamas/Caribbean again. 

honestly yeah the getting around part is prob the worst part about it. traffic waste soo much time.

you're better off staying in one spot and explore surrounding. like traveling for one hour radius is prob as much im willing to do in most days of my stays.

well i hope it was well worth of your time and money.

1 hour ago, T1no said:

well i hope it was well worth of your time and money.

I do not regret going.

2 hours ago, kuhla said:

I do not regret going.

nice good to hear. we should chat next time i see you guys.