Tactically Inept

[Netflix] Love Death & Robots

Malaphax

A collection of animated short stories that span various genres including science fiction, fantasy, horror and comedy.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9561862/

This is a much more adult version of the animatrix.  The short stories are all over the place including 3dcgi, 2d, live action and different art styles, but nearly all of them are strongly adult rated.  It shifts from modern wearwolves, vampires, post apocalyptic, horror and comedy.  Honestly, the huge variety is hard to handle and some shorts definitely do a better job that others, but it's worth watching.  I'm a little surprised at the sheer volume of motion capture used in some of the 3d animation work but it's still impressive. 

Visually most of these shorts are rather impressive, with a couple standouts.  The storylines are always very short/simple but still entertaining.  I would caution, the serious levels of sexual content and violence are not to be understated, but the shorts generally do not suffer because of it.  I hope Netflix pushes more content like this because it's rather unique compared to much of the current animation work out there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished this the other day. Took longer than expected because I somehow had it in my head that it was only 7-8 shorts. There were a couple of shorts I did not like but I enjoyed the majority of them. I'm glad Netflix is trying some different stuff and I will happily watch something like this again.

(not in order)

My least favorites are:

• Three Robots
  • Sucker of Souls
  • Blindspot
  • Alternate Histories

My favorites include:

• Beyond the Aquila Rift (reminds me of Deadspace a bunch)
  • Secret War
  • Sonnie's Edge
  • Suits
  • When the Yogurt Took Over
  • Zima Blue
  • Lucky 13

Really hope they make more of these.

*edit* apparently Alastair Reynolds made Zima Blue and Beyond the Aquila Rift which was really good IMO. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alastair_Reynolds

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So volume 2 definitely isn't as good, but I have substantial disagreements with Jedi2155's rankings.  In fact your bottom 2 ranked episodes are my top 2. 

I was also disappointed that we only had 2 non-cgi shorts, one being hand drawn and the other stop-motion.  I also had some issues with fluctuating quality of the character models, I'm not sure if they used some live action or facial capture for some of the shorts but I suspect that might be the case. 

• 3 months later...

I finally watched this last night so I can participate.

1. "Automated Customer Service" - Boring. Not funny. Story has been done so many times.
  2. "Ice" - OK. Animation style felt unique. Had some story to it.
  3. "Pop Squad" - OK but it feels like this could have been better if they expanded or explained the world a little bit. That does not mean it has to be longer but just explain the setting a little bit. CGI was very good but it felt a little inconsistent.
  4. "Snow in the Desert" - Same exact problem as the last one. OK but this could have been a lot more. You get such a tiny snippet of the universe and almost nothing explained so it ends up feeling very arbitrary. Beautiful CGI.
  5. "The Tall Grass" - Boring and even a little aggravating. Here is this super crazy thing but uhhh let us just not talk about it or warn anyone.
  6. "All Through the House" - Boring. Not funny. Story has been done many times.
  7. "Life Hutch" - Another maintenence-robot-goes-psycho short? Beautiful CGI but why this story again?
  8. "The Drowned Giant" - I think I actually enjoyed this one the most. There was some opportunity to think. There is this extraordinary event and yet the mundane aspects of life and time seem to always triumph.

• 7 months later...

The new season is decent, very short but decent.  I feel like they had some better art styles than the last season.  I don't think anything was good enough to stand out but I'm glad a series like this exists because I almost feel like it's a sizzle real for animation studios and I can appreciate that there's a ton of creativity and talent that goes into the various types of animation. 

Big fan of Bad Travelling and Jibaro as my two favorite so far, with Swarm being a worth mention. I still need to watch Ep 3 (Very Pulse of the Machine),  and 7 (Masons Rats) but the rest is just okay but every episode so far is better than the terrible Volume 2.

• 4 months later...

wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love,_Death_%26_Robots#Volume_III_(2022)

welp just started season 3

only 2 episodes in

1. "Three Robots: Exit Strategies"
    1. Regardless of the message, that felt a bit force-fed. Not a fan.
  2. "Bad Travelling"
    1. Main character was pretty smart I guess with the vote but I'm not sure why they couldn't just execute the final plan from the beginning. Seems like a big plot hole.

On 10/21/2022 at 11:02 AM, kuhla said:

wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love,_Death_%26_Robots#Volume_III_(2022)

welp just started season 3

only 2 episodes in

2. "Bad Travelling"
    1. Main character was pretty smart I guess with the vote but I'm not sure why they couldn't just execute the final plan from the beginning. Seems like a big plot hole.

Finished it.

1. -
  2. -
  3. "The Very Pulse of the Machine"
    1. Ok I guess. I feel like if the ending had been a bit more ambiguous, that would have been more interesting.
  4. "Night of the Mini Dead"
    1. Alrighty then.
  5. "Kill Team Kill"
    1. That was something. Didn't do much for me.
  6. "Swarm"
    1. Fun idea I guess but really has that old trope of scientists acting wildly irresponsible.
  7. "Mason's Rats"
    1. Those rats are dumb. Maybe a connection to Rats of NIMH?
  8. "In Vaulted Halls Entombed"
    1. This was my favorite of the season. I could have done without yet another scene of soldiers continuously shooting ineffectively at some kind of swarm.
  9. "Jibaro"
    1. Visually interesting.

On 10/21/2022 at 11:02 AM, kuhla said:
  2. "Bad Travelling"

I agree with you that Bad Travelling had a huge plot hole.

My favorite is:

1. Jibaro
  2. Bad Travelling
  3. Very Pulse of the Machine
  4. In Vaulted Halls Entombed
  5. Swarm
  6. Kill Team Kill
  7. Masons Rats
  8. Night of the Mini Dead
  9. Three Robots: Exit Strategies