Sign in to follow this  
Malaphax

[Netflix] Love Death & Robots

A collection of animated short stories that span various genres including science fiction, fantasy, horror and comedy.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9561862/

This is a much more adult version of the animatrix.  The short stories are all over the place including 3dcgi, 2d, live action and different art styles, but nearly all of them are strongly adult rated.  It shifts from modern wearwolves, vampires, post apocalyptic, horror and comedy.  Honestly, the huge variety is hard to handle and some shorts definitely do a better job that others, but it's worth watching.  I'm a little surprised at the sheer volume of motion capture used in some of the 3d animation work but it's still impressive. 

Visually most of these shorts are rather impressive, with a couple standouts.  The storylines are always very short/simple but still entertaining.  I would caution, the serious levels of sexual content and violence are not to be understated, but the shorts generally do not suffer because of it.  I hope Netflix pushes more content like this because it's rather unique compared to much of the current animation work out there.

Loved this thing and re-watched it with the wife. My only complaint is too much furry in one of the episodes.

Finished this the other day. Took longer than expected because I somehow had it in my head that it was only 7-8 shorts. There were a couple of shorts I did not like but I enjoyed the majority of them. I'm glad Netflix is trying some different stuff and I will happily watch something like this again.

(not in order)

My least favorites are:

• Three Robots
  • Sucker of Souls
  • Blindspot
  • Alternate Histories

My favorites include:

• Beyond the Aquila Rift (reminds me of Deadspace a bunch)
  • Secret War
  • Sonnie's Edge
  • Suits
  • When the Yogurt Took Over
  • Zima Blue
  • Lucky 13

Really hope they make more of these.

*edit* apparently Alastair Reynolds made Zima Blue and Beyond the Aquila Rift which was really good IMO. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alastair_Reynolds