Sign in to follow this  
Malaphax

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

I've been playing (and streaming) the game pretty steady since last Friday and I've already clocked 12 hours in (1 of which was dying repeatedly to a boss).  Overall the game is very solid but also very difficult.
Combat rewards aggression and plays out similarly to fighting games where you need to take your turn, switching from attacking to parrying/blocking.  Every boss seems to be beatable with just standard attacks and no gimmicks, but there are different prosthetic attachments and crazy sword attacks available in a rather extensive set of skill trees. 

Review thread from Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/b3q6wr/sekiro_shadows_die_twice_review_thread/

As a note, I would be very cautious to recommend the game because of the serious difficulty.  I bought this because I had always wanted to try a game in the Soulbourne genre but I was put off by the weird RPG elements.  This game is simpler with basic upgrades which actually leads to a much better sense of progression and difficulty curve.  Also the aesthetic of swords clashing before a final blow lands it pretty damn cool, when everything goes right it feels very cinematic. 

Sidenote: I've been playing this game on my steam controller rather than mouse and keyboard, I've heard the pc controls are decent but I haven't used them.  I haven't actually committed to using my steam controller on many games, mostly because even minor aiming with the right trackpad can be frustrating, but this game doesn't require much right stick aiming so it's not an issue. 

This video contains some super minor spoilers but it does a good job going over some tips and tricks in the game. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT35HWy_qvQ