Tactically Inept

I got 10G

T1no

On topic:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?maxMileage=75000&searchRadius=50&listingTypes=USED&maxPrice=10000&startYear=2005&zip=92821&transmissionCodes=MAN

I see a 2013 MINI Cooper S Hardtop in that list that might be fun

2013 FIAT 500 Turbo Hatchback that might be fun

Off topic:

Is this thread just a mental exercise?

IMHO this is a poor use of money. If you just have 10G to burn, why not do something else? You don't have to save or invest it (even though that would make a lot of sense) but why not vacation or trip or something? You already have a nice car so a second car is just pure pure luxury. You will drive on the weekends?

umm the real talk is that my mom is selling kelvin 2006 gti to a relative. the car is working but it needs a lot of work. the headliner is sagging and the engine is eating oil. and its got about 125k miles. i think its on its last leg. we prob sell it for 3k for it.

honestly this thread should prob titled 7-8k. i would use this as a primary car. beater and im still in limbo if i wanted to sell my S3. i commute 50 miles a day. and the insurance is kinda expensive on it since i drive it so much. i would make this car as my commuter car and make the s3 secondary car it would cut down the insurance somewhat.

the other thing is that when my mom is here she can drive my car and i still have a car to use to go to work. also i would pay cash on this.

yea i saw cooper S / fiat 500 abarth / some mk6 gti / golf / jetta sportwagen TDI LOL / veloster

i thought i can find some frs or brz but nope.

speaking of investing i should have a chat with you guys in terms of what should i do or maximizing my CA$H MONEIII.

If you plan on making this care a daily driver, I'd be concerned that a $7-10k limit isn't going to get you much in the way of creature comforts, or at best you'll get something used that will eventually start needing more mechanical work done. 
I personally hate mini's right now, but mostly because the interior is one of the ugliest things I've seen on this earth.  I'd probably lean towards the FIAT 500 turbo but I'm not sure that's the best bet either.  The fact you want a manual/fun car that you'd be using for a 50 mile commute sounds a bit like you're not sure what you want.  If it's a beater/commuter car I'd just get the ugliest most boring model econobox you can live with, hopefully with low mileage and maybe some sort of pre-owned warranty.  If you're looking for something cheap/fun then you're going to have a bit harder time with that price range. 

For $10k you probably going to get one of these:

1. a fun car with very high mileage and/or has been driven really hard
  2. a really basic car that is going to be zero fun driving daily
  3. a salvage title or something that needs a lot of work
  4. all the above

1 hour ago, T1no said:

speaking of investing i should have a chat with you guys in terms of what should i do or maximizing my CA$H MONEIII.

I am not a financial professional. If we are talking stock market:

1. I do not have the time and knowledge to constantly manage my own portfolio.
  2. I want to stay in the stock market for a long time.
  3. I am OK with some risk but only so much.
  4. I don't mind my "gains" matching the general average (basically what the S&P500 does).

The way I invest takes all of that into account. My current portfolio looks like this:

Lazy portfolios - https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_portfolios

I know its way outside normal bounds, but just consider the following:

You can get a brand new 2019 Volt for ~$16-18k net after incentives if you can afford the initial purchase price and tax advantage of the tax credits ($7500).

Lowest Price (multiple colors) is at

$26,392 (before tax and fees)
- $7500 Federal Tax Rebate (expires 3/31)
- $1500 State Rebate (Volt)
- $1000 SCE rebate
= $16392
Tax+Reg (92831) = $2433
Net Cost = $18825

+ $500 SCE charger installation
+ CA HOV sticker

i would use it as my primary car the s3 can sit for the weekend use. i put mileage on the beater. when my mom here she can drive the s3 and i would still drive the beater.

i was looking @ the absolute shit and they can go around 4-5k that is worth driving and not explode if i put another 50-70k miles in them.

so i figure for another 2-3k i can get something more interesting. regardless if its 4 or 8k i would pay cash for this. 

lots of mini and chevy stuff.