Sign in to follow this  
kuhla

Meatless / Alternative Meats

I don't expect this to be a hot topic but I consider it a serious topic. We have kind of discussed this offline a few times. For a whole variety of reasons I'm 100% for the development of alternative meats, lab grown meat, pseudo-meat, etc. so this thread is dedicated to that.

article - https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/13/tyson-foods-meatless-alternative-proteins/

Tyson, one of the biggest food producers in the US, is getting into the alternative protein game, but it hasn't embraced entirely plant-based products just yet. Its chicken nugget alternative contains egg, while the burger patties in the Raised & Rooted lineup are a blend of lean Angus beef and pea protein.

Along with egg white, the chicken-less nuggets also use pea protein, in addition to flaxseed and bamboo fiber. Both products will go on sale later this year. Tyson says it's working on more alternative proteins, but it's not clear as to whether any of those will be entirely plant-based.

"Today's consumers are seeking more protein options, so we're creating new products for the growing number of people open to flexible diets that include both meat and plant-based protein," Noel White, president and CEO of Tyson Foods, said in a statement. He added that Tyson has no plans to move away from traditional meat, and will sell both types of products.

The move underscores a growing demand, and makes Tyson a direct competitor to Impossible Foods and Beyond Meat, both of which sell vegan plant-based proteins that are rapidly growing in popularity. Tyson was an investor in Beyond, but sold its holding before that company's IPO in April. When Beyond filed to go public in November, Tyson held a 6.5 percent ownership stake. By this week, Beyond's stock price had soared more than 600% since its IPO.

Cool! The competition from Beyond and Impossible must have kickstarted this and considering the investment, others must see the financial opportunities in this too.

One a technical sidenote, there are very good reasons why you keep seeing rice and peas being the sources of protein in the plant-based options. It has to do with providing the "complete" protein as it compares to meat and dairy (for the full explanation you would have to spend some time googling PDCAAS, PER and BV to put together the full picture).

"Impossible Foods Gets FDA Color Nod, Plans Output Expansion"
article - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-31/impossible-burger-s-color-gets-fda-nod-clearing-retail-hurdle

The Impossible Burger, so far only available at restaurants, could finally be making its way to U.S. grocery store shelves, giving chief rival Beyond Meat Inc. a new competitor inside retail. It also announced on Wednesday plans to produce more of the meat-free patties through a new collaboration.

In response to a petition submitted by Impossible Foods, the Silicon Valley-based maker of the eponymous burger, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has amended its rules to call the use of soy leghemoglobin safe as a color additive in imitation beef, clearing a key hurdle in the company’s push to sell raw product inside grocery stores.

The rule change is effective Sept. 4, though petitioners still have a chance to file objections. The original petition filed in December specified that heme could “not exceed 0.8% by weight” of the final product.

Nice.

I don't want to start a new topic for this and I feel it's probably close enough to this one that it's not totally out of place.

Over the last couple of years I have become more and more concerned about various environmental/climate change topics. Now I realize that many of these issues are huge in scale and beyond my ability as an individual to change but I have been looking into small things I can do so that I can feel a bit less like like I am contributing to the problem. Sidenote: This is also connected with some recent investment changes I made.

Because of articles like this I have been experimenting with different foods and diets for many weeks now. I am currently eating a vegan diet Monday through Thursday. Think of it as a bigger and better version of Meatless Mondays.

Details:

1. What about Friday, Saturday, Sunday? -- I am still eating whatever I want on those days including meat, dairy, etc. and I don't really have any plan to change this.
  2. Did you make this up or is there a fancy label for this? -- Since it's only part-time, it's not vegan or vegetarian. Technically it is called flexitarian but that's not a well known term. I like to think of it as a kind of middle ground option.
  3. You work out a lot. A vegan diet is low in protein isn't it? Is that an issue? -- Getting adequate protein on a vegan diet is possible but it requires careful planning. Unlike a meat heavy or vegetarian diet, you cannot realistically get all of your protein from one source (meat or whey) so it has to come from many sources to still get to the target number.
  4. You work out a lot. A vegan diet is low in calories isn't it? Is that an issue? -- Not at all. Olive oil, peanut butter, nuts, avocado, potatoes, etc. plenty of ways to pack on the carbs and fat. The famous example is that Oreos are vegan but that's not a healthy option.
  5. Have you tried beyond burgers/impossible meat? -- Yes. I tried eating beyond burgers for a whole week as a direct meat replacement. My stomach was not thrilled with them when eaten repeatedly. I'm a bit hesitant to try impossible meat in large quantities out of fear of a repeat. I'm still 100% for the development of alternative meats, lab grown meat, pseudo-meat, etc. The day they can do affordable, low environmental impact lab-grown meat I will be all-in on that.
  6. Are you going to start preaching about plant-based diets like some people I know? No but I have felt for quite some time that everyone could transition over to a vegetarian diet. Still having access to milk, cheese, butter, etc. makes that very easy. Vegan is harder. I will continue to post about interesting developments in the meatless market segment and health related topics in the other thread.
  7. How strict are you being with this? Flexible. If I'm preparing my own food, that is one thing, but if I am on vacation or at someone else's home then that changes things.
  8. Is this just related to the environmental/climate change? A lot of people, institutions, websites, etc. promote plant-based/vegan diets because of ethical/moral concerns related to farming and killing animals. I do not share those same concerns. Many of the items I am looking into, including these diet changes, are just related to environmental/climate change topics.
  9. So why are you telling me about this? Commitment. When you make something public there is a sort of additional accountability that comes with that.

thats good. lmk how it works out for you. 

im currently having food anxiety. i feel like everything i eat is bad.

I like Chipotle's sofritas. I prefer steak, but I consider the meatless alternative to be sufficient. I also go to KBBQ because I enjoy that. I hate the impact meat has to the environment/climate/animals but I'll transition slowly where I can.

I tried a beyond burger at Carl's and it was meh. More important it was outrageously expensive if I did not use a coupon at nearly $7 for what is normally a $3 burger. If I did not care for the the above reasons, why would I ever consider a lower quality, and less enjoyable option at twice the price? That's the stumble that the alternative options need to be.

Elon/Tesla succeeded in making EV's viable to the masses not because it was the right thing to do, but because it was the better/cool thing to do that everyone wants. We will never get widespread acceptance until either economics or quality trumps (preferably both) the existing options.