Tactically Inept

[Movie] John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (2019)

kuhla

imdb - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6146586/

So the first movie was this strange world in which there were multiple really solid action scenes, without a million cuts, doing simple stuff, just a pro doing what he does best and it seemed like something maybe somehow a human being might actually be capable of doing.

The second movie started to deviate from this by making everything a bit bigger, more stunts, more crazy. I didn't like it as much.

This third movie has gone fully off the rails. Ninjas. Motorcycle fights. Some fight scenes don't even seen to have a reason. Even the gunplay felt weaker, more flashy. At times I started getting bored.

This is basically fast and furious franchise now. I expect the next movie to involve a plane fight, genetically engineered ninjas (or maybe cybernetic vikings? you never know...) and some excuse to use flamethrowers.

I think the main issue I had with this movie was the complete lack of consistency.  There first half has mostly realistic standard hollywood action with the odd exception, the second half goes full coconuts.  I could maybe buy into the crazy ninja clan wiping out entire bases worth of assassins, but once the bad guys all had magical body armor that just deflects anything short of a 12gauge slug (they really hammed up the gun references in this movie) I really lost interest.  I still think the melee fights were interesting, and the set design was solid, but they've clearly jumped the shark and are obviously setting this up as a long running series of increasing silly scenarios that John Wick will somehow headshot and judo his way through a long list of faceless enemies. 

While it seems unfair to critique this film on it's story, I really disliked how they're building their universe.  There are people under the table, at the high table, but also an elder that rules above the table and a random group of internal police/judges that only exist to slowly slide black coins across a table to other people.