Sign in to follow this  
kuhla

[Amazon] Carnival Row

First impressions.

Strong meh.

Most scenes feel really mechanical. The dialogue has already made me cringe a few times. The story is pretty basic so far.

For now I'm going to keep watching because I want to see where this goes, if it gets better, but I'm only going to watch it casually.

I'm six episodes in (so only two more to go). I'm going to finish it but I have a lot of problems with this show.

Take all the fantasy races and replace them with "foreign, poor people". Take the evil monster (it's in the trailer) and replace it with "jack the ripper". Take the half-magic enemy nation and replace it with "generic faceless enemy nation". You can do all those replacements very easily because none of the core story elements seem to rely on any of them being special/fantasy. I think it's good for fantasy stories to borrow from reality, to make good drama using things we know, but the fantasy elements in this are practically inconsequential.

Regarding the story itself, I'm completely bored with the two main characters. The side characters have a bit more interesting stories.

I already mentioned the dialogue not being good. It does not get better.

I am already going to say that unless you find the trailer really exciting, skip this.

I finished the show, it's mostly garbage. 

Spoiler

There are some "twists" and reveals that are supposed to be interesting but they're not handled well and feel crammed into the finale to create drama and intrigue for the next season - of course you get a standard tv cliffhanger ending, which feels even more forced than usual.  There are like 5 different storylines and at least 1 of them is purely for flavor/background.  I'm willing to suspend a great deal of disbelief but the show has several mechanical issues that don't work: [the secret library is sealed off and was captured by the enemy military, just kidding the friendly military managed to find the secret library, buried under rocks, in enemy territory and transport a large portion of it back... just so a main character can get mad and end up in prison... wow that's fucking convoluted]  The weird ass political system that allows heirs to inherit an elected position - including party leadership positions? wut?  They even reference standard / non-magical racism in one specific scene but every other element of the show displays the opposite, including women and minority representation in the nobility and parliament - did we suddenly move past normal racism when fantasy racism happened?

I feel like there are cool elements to this universe but the writers couldn't figure out what the hell they wanted to do with them, so they went with a shitty mystery/detective story and then realized it was so mediocre they needed to prop it up with multiple side stories and plot hooks for other seasons.