Sign in to follow this  
kuhla

Playstation 5

article - https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/08/the-playstation-5-launch-date-holiday-2020/

Some details at this point:

1. Will launch late 2020.
  2. New controllers will have adaptive triggers that have dynamic tension/feedback.
  3. Ray-tracing will somehow be included in the hardware.
  4. CPU will use a third-gen AMD Ryzen with eight cores and a custom GPU built on AMD's Radeon Navi family.
  5. "Fast" SSD
  6. 100GB optical bluray disks

From what little I understand, AMD is responsible for both the Xbox Scarlet and PS5 hardware (both CPU & GPU), and they're rumored to have very similar specs.  There are other minor things that have been announced are HDMI 2.1 support, but considering the current TV market, I'm not sure how many people will be able to take advantage of that. 
I think Microsoft's broad strategy of focusing on both Xbox and windows, as well as their upcoming streaming platform is a better long-term plan compared to Playstation and Nintendo's more traditional exclusive games driving hardware sales.  But that being said, it seems to still be working for both Sony and Nintendo. 

I've debated getting a Playstation 4 (and a Switch to a lesser extent) for certain console exclusives, but I've generally decided against it.  There is the option of using Playstation's streaming service, but I've heard the graphical quality from the stream isn't great, and the delay is rather noticeable - both of which detract from the experience. 

I'm curious to see how Playstation handles backwards compatability moving forward, since their exclusive catalog is their most valuable asset.  I suspect the Last of Us 2 will end up being either re-released/remastered as a launch title for PS5, similar to how the original was.