Sign in to follow this  
kuhla

[Amazon][Series] Star Trek: Picard

imdb - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8806524/

Just watched the first episode.

This does not feel like the slow, thoughtful, exploration of utopia that I associate with what Star Trek used to be. It's a bit darker. It's a bit grittier. More action. There is more musical accompaniment to tell me how to feel. There is more lens flair and more purely aesthetic shots. More flashy tech.

I will keep watching it but generally speaking I'm disappointed.

Hot take - this is more of the same bullshit because Alex Kurtzman is still the lead guy heading up the current star trek franchises including Discovery. 

I suspect they'll lean very heavily on nostalgia in this show, with several cameos from TNG characters - especially in the middle episodes to keep people interested. 

Spoiler

This newly introduced character is a super important person, literally data's 'daughter' and totally the crux of the show - jk she ded lul.  Double jk, she's a twin cause we make these super androids in batches of two.

Truly the finest writing I've seen.  Bonus points for the straight up wonder woman style 50' leap she pulled off, which made zero sense. 

10 hours ago, Malaphax said:

....because Alex Kurtzman....

10 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

Alex Kurtzman list of film credits kinda anti-star trek:

Good point.

On 1/26/2020 at 9:00 PM, kuhla said:

Just watched the first episode.

This does not feel like the slow, thoughtful, exploration of utopia that I associate with what Star Trek used to be. It's a bit darker. It's a bit grittier. More action. There is more musical accompaniment to tell me how to feel. There is more lens flair and more purely aesthetic shots. More flashy tech.

I will keep watching it but generally speaking I'm disappointed.

.....and after 3 episodes in. Nothing has changed. I'm guessing the rest of the season will feel like this. I'm disappointed.