Tactically Inept

Coronavirus / COVID-19

kuhla

The difference between a government mandated mask order and a government mandated vaccine is body autonomy.  The government can mandate that you wear something (public nudity is generally frowned upon) or participate in various safety measures (seat-belts).  But the government cannot force you to become an organ donor (some countries heavily incentivize this) or how your body will be disposed of.  Body autonomy is a pretty big deal, which is why when forced sterilization comes up people take it very seriously, and the UN classifies this as a type of genocide.  Another example would be prisoners can't be used to test medical treatments without their express consent, even when you're incarcerated you're given a certain amount of body autonomy and nearly every industrial nation takes that very seriously. 

I doubt that the government will ever force people to be vaccinated, even today we have measles or TB infections that spread, partly because there's a certain subset of people who refuse to get vaccinated and some people who cannot be vaccinated (specific medical reasons).  I suspect that the government will do what it did with the Polio vaccine, which is a propaganda campaign.  There's the famous campaign of Elvis Presley getting a polio vaccine helped push the vaccination rate up dramatically.  I suspect we'll see some celebrities getting vaccinated or major politicians getting vaccinated.
Honestly I'm more concerned that the vaccine(s) will be in very high demand and relatively short supply, we might end up with a lottery type system or have people pay large out of pocket expenses for vaccines.  The massive logistics of making the vaccine widely available in this country alone will be a tremendous undertaking. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083

1, ‘Surgical’ *    Surgical mask, 3-layer
2, ‘Valved N95’    N95 mask with exhalation valve
3, ‘Knitted’    Knitted mask
4, ‘PolyProp’    2-layer polypropylene apron mask
5, ‘Poly/Cotton’    Cotton-polypropylene-cotton mask
6, ‘MaxAT’    1-layer Maxima AT mask
7, ‘Cotton2’    2-layer cotton, pleated style mask
8, ‘Cotton4’    2-layer cotton, Olson style mask
9, ‘Cotton3′    2-layer cotton, pleated style mask
10, ‘Cotton1’    1-layer cotton, pleated style mask
11, ‘Fleece’    Gaiter type neck fleece
12, ‘Bandana’ *    Double-layer bandana
13, ‘Cotton5′ *    2-layer cotton, pleated style mask
14, ‘Fitted N95’    N95 mask, no exhalation valve, fitted
‘Swath’    Swath of mask material, polypropylene
‘None’ *    Control experiment, no mask

image.png

image.png

Bandana, knitted and fleece are garbage.

The possible explanation of T cell response for some asymptomatic people from similar viruses in the past was an interesting idea but also, AGAIN it is being stated that the size of the virus load matters and wearing masks can make a big difference.

1 hour ago, kuhla said:

The possible explanation of T cell response for some asymptomatic people from similar viruses in the past was an interesting idea but also, AGAIN it is being stated that the size of the virus load matters and wearing masks can make a big difference.

indeed

• 2 months later...

article - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/27/world/we-believe-in-science-washington-oregon-and-nevada-join-californias-vaccine-review-plan.html

A week after Gov. Gavin Newsom of California announced that a panel of experts from his state would independently review any federally approved coronavirus vaccines before they were administered to residents, the governors of Washington, Oregon and Nevada announced they’d join California’s effort.

West coast united.

Also all democrat governors so that probably helped.

• 4 weeks later...

So you got

1. Moderna/NIH (USA). Must be shipped at 2 C. Can be 1 dose (70%+ effective) but will probably be administered as 2 doses (90%+ effective). "Old-fashioned" adenovirus.
  2. AstraZeneca/Oxford (UK) - Must be shipped at -20 C. Requires 2 doses (90%+ effective). Fancy mRNA.
  3. Pfizer/BioNTech (Germany) - Must be shipped at -70 C. Requires 2 doses (90%+ effective). Fancy mRNA.

That is just typical isn't it. The German engineered solution is good but expensive, complicated and requires tight tolerances.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Robert Redfield said Tuesday that a COVID-19 vaccine would be released “by the end of the second week of December.”

article - https://thehill.com/homenews/news/527408-cdc-director-covid-19-vaccine-will-be-rolled-out-second-week-in-december

Timeline seems to fit with most estimates I have seen from other sources.

Conclusion Greater proportion of vitamin D-deficient individuals with SARS-CoV-2 infection turned SARS-CoV-2 RNA negative with a significant decrease in fibrinogen on high-dose cholecalciferol supplementation.

article - https://pmj.bmj.com/content/early/2020/11/12/postgradmedj-2020-139065

It has already been pretty universally agreed upon in the health and fitness community that just about everyone should be supplementing vit D3 and this is just another reason. There have also been multiple articles already talking about certain common vitamin and mineral deficiencies causing additional issues.

article - https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/uk-vaccine-covid-19-restaurants-bars-blocked-1.5822648

The British minister responsible for vaccine rollout, Nadhim Zahawi, said getting vaccinated should be voluntary but that Google, Facebook and Twitter should do more to fact-check opposing views of vaccines.

Asked if the U.K. would introduce an immunity passport, Zahawi said a person's COVID-19 vaccine status might be included in a phone app, similar to the Test and Trace app used by the National Health Service, that would inform local doctors of a person's status.  

"I think you'd probably find that restaurants and bars and cinemas and other venues, sports venues, will probably also use that system as they've done with the [Test and Trace] app," he said.

"The sort of pressure will come both ways: from service providers — who will say 'look, demonstrate to us that you have been vaccinated' — but also, we will make the technology as easy and accessible as possible."

This is in reference to the UK and I think the chances of something like a "vaccine passport" is really low but this is starting to get into more complicated territory. You have to incentivize vaccination right? How far can you push that without infringing on body autonomy?

34 minutes ago, Jedi2155 said:

Pretty sure vaccination was a requirement for a long time, I had to get vaccinated to go to high school for example etc.

Certain immunizations have been needed for entry into this country, although that was mostly back in the Ellis island days of immigration.  You're correct that vaccinations are required by schools, but not all school's will require those vaccinations (there was also a big fight in California regarding medical exemptions), private schools may elect not to require that, or you could homeschool your kids (please don't). 

The difference is that now we're potentially tying freedom of movement or patronage to vaccines, and that's a whole different level of restriction.  I think for entry into different countries we will see some form of vaccination requirement, and there's very little you can do to get around that (barring illegally forging documents).  You do run into the issue of, who is tracking this information?  Do you provide it to the US passport office that you have had the vaccine?  How is that communicated to other countries?  Is there a centralized database somewhere?

Where it gets more complicated - is travel inside the US and accessing various businesses.  I guarantee that will result in a lawsuit that will eventually reach the supreme court. 

Does a private business have the authority to access that type of medical information?  If a business can require proof of vaccination, how do they verify this information; where is that being stored?  What happens if "essential" businesses require a vaccination?

From a medical angle there's also the concern that a vaccine may not eliminate the spread of the virus - we still don't know if you can shed the virus after being vaccinated.  Not to mention the vaccine may not provide permanent immunity.  There's also the staggered rollout - which means there will be a point in time when a large portion of the population will be vaccinated and a small portion will not, is it fair to discriminate against people who have not been vaccinated?  Can a grocery store turn you away?  Public transport?  Government facilities? 

I'm not trying to be a doomsayer, but I feel like people are so sick of 2020 they don't realize we're going to be facing different problems in 2021. 

yea 2021 is gonna be interesting.

i think i posted this before but i like this idea. while we know that rapidtest is somewhat unreliable, but they were saying if we do it enough like twice-three times a week and people can do it at the comfort at their own home and reasonably priced. it should help containing this mess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok so...

1. If you go here https://occovid19.ochealthinfo.com/
  2. There is a link to this http://www.othena.com/
  3. The "first time" link takes you to this https://covid19.othena.com/patient-registration/agreement
  4. but if you look on the subreddit for OC there is a more direct link to this https://covid19.othena.com/patient-registration/register

I'm not sure how #3 differs from #4. Is #4 bypassing #3? It's the same domain.

I will talk with my mom about this since she now qualifies for the current phase because of the new guidelines about age for this phase.

Maybe she can get vaccinated this month? Would make me feel better.

nice.

i guess since this is in serious discussion. regarding the vaccine.

we got 2 main ones here in the us that are heavily distributed.

PfizerBiontec https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine

PDF: https://www.fda.gov/media/144414/download

The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is administered as a 2-dose series, 3 weeks apart, into the muscle.

-----------------------------------------------------

Moderna https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/moderna-covid-19-vaccine

PDF: https://www.fda.gov/media/144638/download

The Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine is administered as a 2-dose series, 1 month apart, into the muscle.

Some stuff that i pull out from the pdf on both of these vaccine

Tell the vaccination provider about all of your medical conditions, including if you:

• have any allergies
• have a fever
• have a bleeding disorder or are on a blood thinner
• are immunocompromised or are on a medicine that affects your immune system
• are pregnant or plan to become pregnant
• are breastfeeding
• have received another COVID-19 vaccine

WHO SHOULD NOT GET THE PFIZER-BIONTECH/MODERNA COVID-19 VACCINE?
You should not get the Pfizer-BioNTech/Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine if you:
• had a severe allergic reaction after a previous dose of this vaccine
• had a severe allergic reaction to any ingredient of this vaccine.

what's everyone sentiments for vaccination right now?
do you prefer one over the other if you had to choose?
do you have concern in the long run ?

1. sentiments for vaccination right now?
  2. do you prefer one over the other if you had to choose?
    • Between moderna and pfizer? Not really no. If there was more "left out of freezer intentionally" events occurring then I would probably prefer the moderna because less chance of it being ruined (does not require extreme cold storage) but that is not happening that we know of. I have no idea where the Oxford one is at.
  3. do you have concern in the long run ?