Tactically Inept

Custom Battlestation Setups

Jedi2155

In terms of weight I'm a bit concerned.

• 20 lbs of random junk (speakers / keyboards etc.)
  • 15 lb printer
  • 49"  - 35 lbs display + 15 lb arm = 50 lbs
  • 27" - 2x 15 lb display + 2 x 7.5 lb arm = 45 lbs
  • PC - 40-50 lbs
  • Table Main - 56 lb (25"), 85 lbs (40")
  • Table L - 42 lbs (25"), 68 lbs (40") 

Total weight = 265 lbs awfully close to the weight limit of the the stand WITHOUT the L. With the L its 333 lbs.

Also monoprice only suggests 6'x4' maximum due to overhang risks. Which is true for most sit-stands I've seen.

image.png

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, kuhla said:

https://www.upliftdesk.com/uplift-v2-l-shaped-standing-desk-frame/

This is another brand I was looking at that I saw recommended multiple times. Again it visually looks extremely similar (OEMs I'm guessing). It also has a much higher weight capacity (motors?). You pay for it though.

I was looking at it too. 

The other concern is what is a good width for my given display situation. Also with the 55" mounted ABOVE the 49" does a standing desk even make sense since it will be wall mounted and will impact how it is seen.

• 2 weeks later...

After checking out various desk sizes, I decided 30" is the optimal desk width. The 40" widths I looked above are FAR too wide after checking it out plus the weight of a real wood on top of the huge width makes it infeasible for me to manage readily. So in terms of sizes

• 25" standard counter-depth (Ikea blocks), way too narrow for my 27x49x27 monitor config.
  • 27" standard desk width (what I have now), still too narrow to fit a G9 curve nicely without the stand hitting the wall.
  • 30" largest standard width, size of Ikea standard desks (29.5")
  • 40" Island size butcher blocks, this is insanely wide.

A good mix for me would be between 30-34" but I haven't seen any decent options with that size.

Right now Monoprice has the best size option for price:

This is how I imagine the monoprice dimensions would play out:

image.png

The "Uplift V2" is insanely expensive:

• Around $2400
  • Better weight capacity (535 lbs vs. 265 lbs)
  • 1x 80"x30" + 1x 48x27.5"
  • This gives a 80:x78" (3720 square inches total)

Monoprice wins by far. I think I'm definitely going to go Monoprice except the white desk is out of stock for a whole month....

8 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

WARNING: This is not solid wood. This is particle board. Customer FAQ.

8 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

Monoprice wins by far.

I came to a similar conclusion. I am convinced there are nicer and better sit-stand setups than what I have but I could not find good justification (within reason) for the much higher prices. Similarly I passed on some of the cheapest options because they simply seemed just very poor quality (based on specs, reviews, etc.).

i think some one recommend me this brand. https://www.autonomous.ai/standing-desks/l-shaped-smartdesk?option1=1909&option2=7&option16=36&option17=1910

https://www.fully.com/standing-desks/jarvis/jarvis-l-shaped-standing-desk.html

that particle board gonna smile after a while but i guess the frame will hold it. and if youre gonna mount your monitor you def need a solid wood.

2 hours ago, kuhla said:

WARNING: This is not solid wood. This is particle board. Customer FAQ.

I came to a similar conclusion. I am convinced there are nicer and better sit-stand setups than what I have but I could not find good justification (within reason) for the much higher prices. Similarly I passed on some of the cheapest options because they simply seemed just very poor quality (based on specs, reviews, etc.).

Particle board is okay, as long as its not cardboard like the Ikea Limmon desks (I have one):

I realized another problem though....thankfully I haven't purchased it yet but with any Sit Stand design is that frame may get in the way of the really long "extension" table. Unfortunately the monoprice version is not reversible on the extension either.
image.png

Not sure if this is going to be an issue but I cannot reverse the extension from left side to right side

13 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

The "Uplift V2" is insanely expensive:

• Around $2400
  • Better weight capacity (535 lbs vs. 265 lbs)
  • 1x 80"x30" + 1x 48x27.5"
  • This gives a 80:x78" (3720 square inches total)

Hold on.

I went back to double check this.

You can buy just the frame for $650 - https://www.upliftdesk.com/uplift-v2-l-shaped-standing-desk-frame/

3 hours ago, kuhla said:

Hold on.

I went back to double check this.

You can buy just the frame for $650 - https://www.upliftdesk.com/uplift-v2-l-shaped-standing-desk-frame/

I could, the frame would be a bit better than the MonoPrice model in that it 

• 83" L vs 70.9"  L
  • 76.5" W vs. 70.9" W
  • 535 lb vs. 265 lb
  • 50 db vs. 55 db??
  • $700* vs. $300 with *programmable  controller

One other thing....I only started looking at sit stands because my back started hurting. I may not really even want a sit stand TBH....

Thinking of dropping the whole sit-stand idea and going back to a fixed table setup. The monoprice 6 foot tables are really attractive at price and size (70x29.5") @ $65 each. My big concern is weight and stability.

My thoughts are put an 3x Alex Drawers, + 4 Adlis Legs (see diagram) and put a  Monoprice seat drawer in the back between the Adlis legs.

Main problem is that I really want the white tops that won't be in stock for another 2 months...I'll just use my existing desk setup until then.

I can always upgrade the drawer units into a sit stand frame if it still really bothers me. This setup is relatively cheap, has the dimensions I generally want (would prefer a 7-8 feet on the long side but 6 feet is good enough).

image.png

3 hours ago, kuhla said:

Would the right hand portion of the desk be used as a desk or just storage? With that "middle" Alex Drawer you would not be able to just swivel+slide to the right because of your legs.

My thoughts on the right side wlll generally be desk storage and an extra workstation.

• Tower
  • Printer
  • Paper documents to work through
  • Extra gear

I have not found the need to swivel / move my desk to that general area in my existing L shape desk.

14 hours ago, T1no said:

why don't you just get a 60X30 stand up and get a normal table on the right ? rearrange them as you wish left right. go hit up ben. or go kuhla route. 

That's actually my current thought right now. Standard desk on the the "extension side" while the main desk will be sit stand. I'm also really questioning if I want a sit stand in the first place. 

As mentioned earlier, the main reason I was mainly considering a standing desk was due to back pain but it seems trying to motorized a desk is a clear over-engineering solution to other options. 

I had an exercise ball laying around and i'm using it now its a perfect height. Way better than spending thousands over to try to get a standing desk to fit my needs.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 8:09 AM, kuhla said:

Is the table top going to be fixed to the cabinet tops?

At the time its just sitting with clear bumpers. I dont' see a need at the moment to add additional fixings.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/everbilt%20clear%20bumper?NCNI-5

I want to purchase another one, and I also want to use that 2nd table top but i need table legs. I also don't want to do anything permenent yet due to a lot things being flux.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

These workstream rolling file cabinets are on sale at a huge discount. Will be ordering 2 for ~ $190. Still need 2 more Alex drawers and 2 more Monoprice desks. I haven't figured out what I want to do about wall paint color. I'm feeling shades of blue + gray.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=37881

I commonly have desks come by and I lack seating for them so this would be a good way to manage that.

image.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Finally got my battlestation started but there are still many things to do. Saw an interesting case for future upgrade (Fractal North) that looks like it would match well:
https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/north/north/chalk-white/

image.jpeg

In terms of next upgrades in terms of priority includes:

• Getting a new speaker setup since I sold my previous Logitech Z906.
  • Another big question is how I plan to place said speakers, wall mount, corner mount, or desk mount, and then that also jumps into the what OLED screen I plan to put above the desk.
    • Original plan was a 55" OLED on a full motion mount directly above a CRG9. However with the additional curve of the G9, the 55's are now considered significantly wider (like 4 inches) than a G9. I'm wondering if I should just pay the extra $200-400 for a 65" to put above the setup. 

55 vs. 65" in the office what do you guys think?