Jump to content

Custom Battlestation Setups


Recommended Posts

I've been wanting a better desk for some time but I've never seen a perfect "pre-built" configuration so I might have to customize my own.

Watching this video gave me a lot of ideas that I might explore later down the road. My office is currently downstairs (11'x11' room), but I might consider bringing it back upstairs at some point (11'x14' room). Or the master.

Couple of ideas items right now:

Equipment Items:

  • Heavy Duty Monitor Arm (49") - Ergotron HX
  • Medium Duty Monitor Arm (27-32")Amazon Basics
    • Or VIVO (27" only)
    • I think the Amazon will be more necessary since my side monitors will be stretched out at a significant angle
  • Some type of RGB lighting
  • Some type of AC that isn't my current portable one. I really think a new house is better option than retrofitting ductless units in each room.....but that's a different story and something i'm actively thinking about.

Home Decor Items

 

More to come......

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been entertaining some ideas for a quite a while now to update my setup (not talking about the PC).

Please keep updating on your progress.

Maybe I can be inspired by something you do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen a few posts about having a TV over your computer monitor, I generally dislike mounting TVs high on the wall.  If you don't watch tv in a living room and consume most of your media at your desk, I can see the appeal, but I would probably invest in either an adjustable tv mount and/or a chair with serious recline and a high back or headrest. 

My personal setup really lacks proper desk space, and I like the idea of having a computer/workstation desk and then an entirely separate workspace.  However I personally dislike having drawer units for legs of a desk, I think it looks especially ugly with the standoffs on top of the drawer unit.  I feel a better solution would be to have the drawer unit on roller feet and have standard desk legs.  You could even buy adjustable sit/stand desk legs to mount the tabletop on. 

I think individual monitor arms are a significant upgrade for nearly everyone.  I've been super please with them for both my 34" ultrawide and my 27" secondary.  I believe these are the ones I went for: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15526

Finally, I wouldn't invest in acoustic foam.  I think a better microphone setup is by far the better investment, and if you really are getting a harsh eco / reverb on the microphone setup because of the walls you could add foam later - but none of us are professionally podcasting/streaming so I doubt that style of setup is needed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My primary issue is finding time to do this setup than any monetary limitation, so I don't know when I would go about moving ahead with the setup on top of the several other things I need to figure out (back yard renovation or etc.).

In regards to a couple of malaphax points:

  • The 55" TV serves multiple purposes:
    • A true media content display that is optimizes for media viewing vs. computer monitors which don't serve media as well. There's a lot of filters/tech in TVs that aren't present in monitors and I much prefer that. 
    • A 4K display for 4K content. It solves my current mismatch of 4K/5k/2k lack of uniformity on my displays by giving me a straight 1440p experience on my working displays but the TV would operate for any 4K content.
    • OLED for true HDR games like Division 2, and 4K type games.
    • Occasional couch surfing. This is how I do it now and its far from optimal.
    • I have a family room TV configuration, a bedroom TV configuration, but I don't use either of those very often since I prefer being next to my computer most of the time.
  • One thing I really like my current setup is that  I have a lot of space on the left of my desk to  do any type of writing or work simply by turning my chair. This is the benefit of having a corner configuration vs. a straight desk where monitor arms are absolutely necessary. (see diagram below)
  • The corner configuration removes the benefit of a monitor arm and is really a space reclamation tool but doesn't help the corner situation all that much. I also have a raised platform on my table which adds a lot of storage and space but does not help the clutter situation. 
  • Foam is not for microphone quality improvement. Its to prevent noise from my room from reaching the rest of the house or vice versa. It's also to remove echo from speakers, its as if everyone is always assuming  headphones 24/7.
  • Last note, my recliner is really awesome comfy but its somewhat worn out (i'm using leather tape to keep the pleather from peeling off), its also more space efficient than an actual sofa/couch. If I decide to change rooms, I might consider a sofa instead but it won't match the comfyness of a padded recliner or the space efficiency.

 

image.png

20200326_172656.jpg

Occasional couch work:

20200326_171200.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:
  • The 55" TV serves multiple purposes:
    • A true media content display that is optimizes for media viewing vs. computer monitors which don't serve media as well. There's a lot of filters/tech in TVs that aren't present in monitors and I much prefer that. 
    • A 4K display for 4K content. It solves my current mismatch of 4K/5k/2k lack of uniformity on my displays by giving me a straight 1440p experience on my working displays but the TV would operate for any 4K content.
    • OLED for true HDR games like Division 2, and 4K type games.
    • Occasional couch surfing. This is how I do it now and its far from optimal.
    • I have a family room TV configuration, a bedroom TV configuration, but I don't use either of those very often since I prefer being next to my computer most of the time.
  • One thing I really like my current setup is that  I have a lot of space on the left of my desk to  do any type of writing or work simply by turning my chair. This is the benefit of having a corner configuration vs. a straight desk where monitor arms are absolutely necessary. (see diagram below)
  • The corner configuration removes the benefit of a monitor arm and is really a space reclamation tool but doesn't help the corner situation all that much. I also have a raised platform on my table which adds a lot of storage and space but does not help the clutter situation. 
  • Foam is not for microphone quality improvement. Its to prevent noise from my room from reaching the rest of the house or vice versa. It's also to remove echo from speakers, its as if everyone is always assuming  headphones 24/7.
  • Last note, my recliner is really awesome comfy but its somewhat worn out (i'm using leather tape to keep the pleather from peeling off), its also more space efficient than an actual sofa/couch. If I decide to change rooms, I might consider a sofa instead but it won't match the comfyness of a padded recliner or the space efficiency.

 

My gut reaction about using a 4k tv as a display for gaming was "that's a terrible idea" but I think that's an outdated mindset.  If you can drive the game at native 4k, some of the newer TV's are using VRR, and have supported refresh rates of 120hz, which makes them far better for gaming than older tv's. 
I'd still recommend a pull down style mount to help drop the TV in front of your monitors when you want to watch media, having a TV mounted too high makes for a poor viewing experience, plus I imagine if you're actively using the TV then you won't be using your main display (maybe the secondary displays). 
Acoustic foam is only going to deaden so much sound, depending on the volume you run your speakers, I suspect it will still be clearly audible in other rooms of the house.  I would test the setup without any foam, and then try hanging some thick blankets on the walls to get an idea of what the foam might do about any echo the speakers are causing.  Also you have wood floors, which is going to add to the echo, an area rug might also help with echo.  Don't expect that type of acoustic foam to work miracles. 
Sidenote: I see you're using a floormat to help protect your wood floors.  I made the switch a while back to roller-skate style wheels on my chair.  I think it's a much better solution than a floor mat.  Just one thing to note, they do glide much more freely than regular caster style wheels, which takes some getting used to. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Malaphax said:

My gut reaction about using a 4k tv as a display for gaming was "that's a terrible idea" but I think that's an outdated mindset.  If you can drive the game at native 4k, some of the newer TV's are using VRR, and have supported refresh rates of 120hz, which makes them far better for gaming than older tv's. 
I'd still recommend a pull down style mount to help drop the TV in front of your monitors when you want to watch media, having a TV mounted too high makes for a poor viewing experience, plus I imagine if you're actively using the TV then you won't be using your main display (maybe the secondary displays). 
Acoustic foam is only going to deaden so much sound, depending on the volume you run your speakers, I suspect it will still be clearly audible in other rooms of the house.  I would test the setup without any foam, and then try hanging some thick blankets on the walls to get an idea of what the foam might do about any echo the speakers are causing.  Also you have wood floors, which is going to add to the echo, an area rug might also help with echo.  Don't expect that type of acoustic foam to work miracles. 
Sidenote: I see you're using a floormat to help protect your wood floors.  I made the switch a while back to roller-skate style wheels on my chair.  I think it's a much better solution than a floor mat.  Just one thing to note, they do glide much more freely than regular caster style wheels, which takes some getting used to. 

Regarding acoustics, my house is TERRIBLE. At the moment, I can clearly hear my room-volume mumble from the other side of the house through multiple hallways and both doors in my room closed about 30-40 feet away.

Absolutely agree with the wall-mount recommendation. Couple of options though, tilt vs. pull down.

A few tilt options:

Interesting suggestion on the roller skate wheels, definitely will look into it. The floor mats were originally due to noise complaints of my chair rolling around but I don't see why rolller skates can't serve the same purpose.

My wood floors also have terribly cheap underlayment (short story was they already started putting in the cheap stuff when i first bought the house and it was managed by my Mom before I caught wind of it and was too late to switch to a more expensive underlayment).

Also regarding the 4K, its primarily for games that don't do super-ultra wide well like Ace Combat 7 (console ports etc.) which are already optimized for TVs in the first place. Most games designed for PC don't have issues supporting super-ultra-wide.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this belongs more here or in monitor, but someone got a new Samsung Odyssey G9 and both the Ergotron HX and Humanscale M10 monitor arms could not handle the 49" G9 so I suspect a CRG9 would have a similar weight issue....

https://blog.naver.com/oldsmile/222008075470

Ergotron HX

https://serviceapi.nmv.naver.com/flash/convertIframeTag.nhn?vid=277F74B314BF3167B81C867410D28CDB1347&outKey=V129caba326b0c77554630c6d1b1808f8cced3c388083614d8eed0c6d1b1808f8cced&width=544&height=306

Humanscale M10

https://serviceapi.nmv.naver.com/flash/convertIframeTag.nhn?vid=A5BDAC75F74FC79E3CFFEF3CF477438902AF&outKey=V124a3508f32ffbaaec53b2a4c8208e786707566b6e0d3298c504b2a4c8208e786707&width=544&height=306

 

Size comparison is the LG 38" on the left and Odyssey G9 on the right:

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jedi2155 I think most "good" monitor arms support 34" without issue, but once you start hitting 38 let alone 49, you basically need a TV mount.  Especially since these aren't thin like an OLED tv.  I think ultrawides are already rather niche and 32:9 makes very little practical sense, media generally doesn't use that format and some games may not support the level of FoV required to really take advantage of it. 

@ T1no Yea black bars suck a fat one.  I still come across trailers from major movie studios with baked in black bars on youtube, even though youtube supports different aspect ratios.  Overwatch and Valorant both notoriously do not support anything beyond 16:9 so you get to live with huge black bars on the sides - same with using a console like playstation 4 which is as least understandable. 
Honestly most content still doesn't really play nice with ultrawide - but when it works... it's glorious. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Yea black bars suck a fat one.  I still come across trailers from major movie studios with baked in black bars on youtube, even though youtube supports different aspect ratios.

Try ultrawidify if you haven't already. Its a built in zoom feature to autodetect baked in blackbar in video content to cut it out and stretch to your screen resolutions.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ultrawidify/dndehlekllfkaijdlokmmicgnlanfjbi?hl=en

 

As my main games (EVE, Warships, Division 2) all support 32:9 I haven't really had an issue very often. and when I do, I have secondary monitors I can utilize and change my game setup relatively easily (4K 32" on the left, 27" 1440p on the right). I almost never watch media for long periods of time on my PC (TV shows / movies) as for that I normally go to my couch/living room for watching actual content. I'm finding myself occasionally wanting to consume content on my PC though so I'm looking for the OLED addition (haven't decided on 55 or 65" right now but I think i'm pretty set on the CX configuration).

More importantly, my significant other is planning to go to medical school in in the Philippines for 4 years and she is leaving 7/19 which means I'm significantly rethinking my battle station plans and house plans etc as I might return to my master bedroom which she kicked me out of 4 years ago which has a window AC (thank goodness).

 

@kuhla IMO, I would try to find a configuration where you can view your 55" OLED even if its in a non-optimal angle while at your PC battlestation but of course leave it optimized for couch surfing. I think that is a goal I'm trying to have regarding my battlestation but I haven't found all the options yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

Try ultrawidify if you haven't already. Its a built in zoom feature to autodetect baked in blackbar in video content to cut it out and stretch to your screen resolutions.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ultrawidify/dndehlekllfkaijdlokmmicgnlanfjbi?hl=en

I've tried several plugins on firefox and most of them either didn't work, or caused significant issues with other content. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

@kuhla IMO, I would try to find a configuration where you can view your 55" OLED even if its in a non-optimal angle while at your PC battlestation but of course leave it optimized for couch surfing. I think that is a goal I'm trying to have regarding my battlestation but I haven't found all the options yet.

So I don't think I mix viewing/usage in the same way you do.

When I'm sitting at my PC then I might do anything, watching a movie, series, browsing, gaming, non-gaming, etc.

When I'm sitting on the sofa then I am 100% watching a movie or multiple episodes of a show (with the PC as the source device) and not doing anything else. No browsing, gaming, etc. The OLED TV sits there 99%+ of the time turned off.

That being said I do want to be able to at least see the screen when I'm sitting at my PC enough so that I can verify the content I want to see is displaying.

My main issue is that I don't want to use a corner desk setup anymore for a couple of different reasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Updated my new usage pattern based on a new laptop I received for work. It was a Dell Latitude 5400 (buisness) instead of the originally planned Precision 5540 (engineering) due to my recent role change.

image.png

Just ordered the P2020DC

image.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Another free planner tool:

https://www.homestyler.com/floorplan/

At some point I need to think about how I am going to setup my rooms. I still think my downstairs is the best office. I'm also uncertain regarding the best flooring material. If I want to stay cheap and stick with the carpet they provide ( better noise/sound isolation) or invest in laminate, luxury vinyl plank (LVP), or some other type of upstairs flooring material. I feel LVP is the current trend a and might offer some good noise isolation but also worried that it'll leave gaps on the doors preventing decent noise isolation.

I did end up getting the rollerblade wheels suggested by malaphax (stupid Ikea had 9mm wheels instead of industry common of 10mm) which makes carpet upstairs not as valuable.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there is much to debate here that has not already been brought up.

Carpet is definitely going to be quieter and feel nicer to most people who are barefoot (is this a valid/frequent use case?) and in your case is cheaper.

Any sort of hard flooring is going to be much easier to keep objectively clean and to be quickly cleaned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

After using a flat desk at my parents house that is 72" wide, I realize I need something at least 80" or longer because my monitors literally can barely fit on a 72' long desk. 

Will be setting up an L shape with the 2 pieces:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/pinnarp-countertop-walnut-veneer-00467475/

PINNARP
Countertop, walnut/veneer74x1 1/2 "
Countertop, walnut/veneer98x1 1/2 "
 
I kinda like the style to match the flooring I chosen for my home - Provenza - Uptown Chic - City Life
 
Will need to Visio this out at some point. Still not sure how I want to do the monitor stands the secondary displays need to be really centered due to the angle I'm trying to achieve with them.
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...