Custom Battlestation Setups

I honestly have no idea why the amazon arm is more expensive.  The monoprice arm's VESA mounting part is pretty basic, it does have an orientation, and you slide the monitor down into the arm-side of the latch. 

I did have to set the tension in the arm to max so it would handle my 34" ultrawide, but I think it handled my 27" with no adjustments.  It does have some slight wobble that I would attribute to the VESA connector on the arm, but it's not at all unstable.  Just expect if you bump the desk or poke the monitor that you'll see some minor wobble.  Both monitors hold their position well enough for my needs, although I do have both monitors leaning against one another, the bezels are touching. 
I rarely change the orientation or move them around, but when I have everything seems to work without issue. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Malaphax said:

I rarely change the orientation or move them around, but when I have everything seems to work without issue. 

Even though you do it rarely, when you do move them around, is it relatively effortless? Like, you just grab the monitor, move it to a new position and let go?

The Amazon Basics one is an Ergotron rebadge AFAIK, I haven't used one in person but supposedly they're top dog in terms of "Brand" so there must be finer details you wouldn't know until you test them side by side. The amazon basics was on sale during black friday for $93 but currently ~ $120-130.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1D03GQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this is what i have holds my 2x 27 acer + 1x 32 inch px329 vivo brand

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Monitor-Adjustable-Screens-STAND-V002/dp/B009S750LA?ref_=ast_sto_dp

i think if you set it and forget it, these are fine. but if you want the one with constant adjustment especially vertical adjustment then get more premium ones (gas strut).

10 hours ago, T1no said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1D03GQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this is what i have holds my 2x 27 acer + 1x 32 inch px329 vivo brand

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Monitor-Adjustable-Screens-STAND-V002/dp/B009S750LA?ref_=ast_sto_dp

i think if you set it and forget it, these are fine. but if you want the one with constant adjustment especially vertical adjustment then get more premium ones (gas strut).

I don't adjust constantly but I do adjust occasionally and I do not want to use tools to do that

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 1:28 PM, kuhla said:

http://www.planyourroom.com/

Free room planner I just found but it has kinda limited furniture.

What I have currently, all to scale:

image.png

Some ideas I have tossed around in my head:

image.png

Trying to execute on this idea I posted about back in July. Sit stand desk. More ergonomic for work from home. Phase 1 is done. Image below. Notes farther down below. So much more work to do.

image.png

image.png

1. Cable management. This is already looking like it is going to be difficult because I need to account a lot of slack for the desk at different heights. Need multiple longer cables. Found I had one displayport cable that is a little iffy.
  2. Monitor arms badly needed. Will buy soon. Need to recoup some of the desk space. May have to turn the secondary monitor to vertical orientation out of necessity.
  3. Kind of shocked how much desk space I appear to have lost. I did not want to but I will look into options for a small end table to shove against the wall. Something like 10-12"x25-30".
  4. Space between the desk and the wire rack is good. Not too much or too little. I would only hit it with my chair if I acted crazy.
  5. Will research DIY options to get the tower on a tray under the desk. Barely fits on top with 2x 27" monitors right now.
  6. The wire rack needs some organization. Poorly used space right now. .

ahh yes moving that tower out from that table and monitor arms should give space back. i use this for my tower. not great but at least its not on the ground. how come you're facing that way instead of the wall ? not enjoying the wall ?

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/lack-tv-unit-black-90243297/

old photos

PXL_20201208_042723864.jpg

1 hour ago, T1no said:

how come you're facing that way instead of the wall ? not enjoying the wall ?

If the desk was facing the wall my feet would hit the wall. I need more room for my legs which means either an L-shaped corner desk or a setup like this with nothing in front of my feet.

21 hours ago, kuhla said:
  1. Cable management. This is already looking like it is going to be difficult because I need to account a lot of slack for the desk at different heights. Need multiple longer cables. Found I had one displayport cable that is a little iffy.
  2. Monitor arms badly needed. Will buy soon. Need to recoup some of the desk space. May have to turn the secondary monitor to vertical orientation out of necessity.
  3. Kind of shocked how much desk space I appear to have lost. I did not want to but I will look into options for a small end table to shove against the wall. Something like 10-12"x25-30".
  4. Space between the desk and the wire rack is good. Not too much or too little. I would only hit it with my chair if I acted crazy.
  5. Will research DIY options to get the tower on a tray under the desk. Barely fits on top with 2x 27" monitors right now.
  6. The wire rack needs some organization. Poorly used space right now. .

Dear diary.....

1. I think I need to push this down in order of priority. As much as I don't like looking at the ugly cable mess, I should handle the monitor mounts and possible tower mount before going harder on the cable management which may change with each purchase.
  2. Monitor arms ordered. Went with these monoprice ones. $10 off today so I saved $20. Still not sure what exactly the benefit is of the $90+ monitor mounts out there outside of very heavy or awkward mount options (at the very limit of extension).
  3. After sleeping on it, I guess it's not as bad as I thought but I do need to be serious about not wasting any space top of the desk. This may a good thing motivationaly long term.
  4. -
  5. Quite a few options out there right now and not expensive but I still think DIY may be the better choice.
  6. -

i was going to make a new thread but i figure its appropriate here but i'll start.

PC:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core 3.7 GHz
Motherboard: TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI)
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) 
GPU: ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 AMP
Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB 3D NAND NVMe + Samsung SSD 860 Evo 1TB + Hitachi 1TB 7.2k
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact White Brushed Aluminum/Steel ATX
Windows 10 pro

Display:
2x 27" Acer XB271HU
1x 32" Pixio PX329

Peripherals (input/output):
Logitech G pro X Superlight (white)
Logitech G Pro X keyboard TKL Linear (black) + Numeric Keypad, Jelly Comb Portable Slim USB Number Pad Keyboard 23 keys
Logitech G 840 XL Mouse Pad
Logitech C920 WebCam
Logitech Z623 2.1 Speaker
Schiit Hel DAC/AMP combo
Sennheiser HD 6xx + HD 58x 
FIFINE Studio Condenser USB Microphone T669

Furniture:
Vari Electric Standing Desk 60x30 (black)
SecretLab Omega
VIVO Triple LCD Monitor Desk Mount
ADV. Dual Suspension Headphone Hanger
Ikea LACK

Ok so, for me, right at this moment, just focusing on the main PC, leaving out some possible DIY stuff, the list would be....

PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x 8-Core @ 3.8 GHz all core

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080

Storage: ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB

PSU: Corsair AX860

Case: Fractal Define Nano S

Windows 10 Pro

Display:

27" Acer Predator 1440p something I cannot remember

27" BenQ 1080p something I cannot remember

HAVIT low profile mechanical (Kailh blue) keyboard

Endgame XM1 mouse

Cooler Master MP510 mousemat

Sennheiser HD 558 headphones

Antlion Audio ModMic (old model)

Furniture:

Ikea GERTON table top [+] Monoprice Workstream Dual Motor Sit Stand desk frame

Herman Miller Aeron size C chair [+] elbow pads

Monoprice Workstream monitor mounts (soon™)

PC:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core
Cooler: Corsair H105 AIO Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra + WIFi
Ram: Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) (e-DIE)
GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC
Storage Internal: Samsung 960 Evo 1 TB (nVME), 840 Evo 500 GB, Seagate 3 TB, 4 TB, Western Digital 8 TB
Storage External: 2 TB eSATA FANTOM (Hitachi 2 TB from 2009), soon to add Synology DS1520+ with 4x14TB WD drives.
PSU: Seasonic Platinum Series SS-760 XP2, 760W 80+ Platinum
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T Artic White
Windows 10 pro
UPS: CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS System

Display:
1x Samsung CRG9 49" (soon to be swapped for a Samsung G9)
1x 27" Pixio PX7 Prime
1x 27" Dell P2720DC 
Soon to be added 55" OLED TV
Purchased Sanus Advanced Tilt Mount

Logitech G903 (Desktop), G903 SE (Laptop)
Logitech G613 Wireless Keyboard
Logitech C920 WebCam
Logitech Desktop Microphone USB
Logitech Z906 5.1 Desktop Home Theatre Speaker
Corsair MM300 Gaming Mouse Pad with Antifray Cloth
Creative Soundblaster Zx 
Audio Technica ATH-T400

Furniture:
Ikea Markus Chair (Black Leather)
YeMI 10MM Office Chair Caster Wheels

Soon To Be Added:
Monitor Mounts (for 27" either Amazon Basics or Monoprice, for 49" Ergotron HX mount + HX & G9 Tilt Piece)
- Ikea PINNARP (1x 98" + 1x 74")

House construction has been delayed until end of January and I have a lot of other things on my mind.

Update.

Pics below.

Phase 2 done. Still plenty more work to do.

• Monitor arms:
    • These were the ones I bought from Monoprice. They have definitely freed up some desk space and I have already moved my mousemat farther back already. I do need to figure out how I want to make better use of some of the desk top space by the wall.
    • Quick review of just the arms: They are OK but not great. The vertical adjustment (after adjustment) and rotate adjustment are fine and work as I imagined them to work but the tilt function is bad. It has only two settings, so loose that the monitor droops on its own or so tight that I don't like how much force I have to apply to tilt the monitor. This will likely not be a problem long term but I wish it was not an issue.
  • Computer cart:
    • EDIT: This is the exact one I bought. Multiple people encouraged me to consider a cart or stand of some kind instead of hanging the PC under the desk. I may still consider an under-desk mount long term but the problem is, outside of DIY, many of the available options had issues of one kind or another. Some obviously would have a tilting issue (backed up by user reviews), some had huge metal mounts that attached to the desk (not sure I would even have the space underneath), others had very low total weight capacity (which could affect future compatibility).  DIY is always a risk and takes more time. 
  • Cabling:
    • I checked multiple times but right now, with the cart, the cables do just barely have enough slack to deal with full height and sit height. This would not be a problem if the tower was mounted under the desk. The cart can be configured to be slightly taller but if I go any taller the tower will hit the desk underneath.
    • Using a combination of either USB extension cables or a USB hub and the wire management "cage" I took off my old desk I think I can tuck away a lot of the cables you can see from the back from the back of the desk. Maybe some black plastic tubing too to "clump" them up. MSpaint concept pic below.
    • Cleaned a little of the cabling in the raceways and put the covers back on.
    • Once I'm a little farther on the cabling portion of this project I will probably then mount the desk controls which are still hanging loose at the moment.

image.png

image.png

image.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 8:52 AM, kuhla said:

Update.

Pics below.

Phase 2 done. Still plenty more work to do.

• Monitor arms:
    • These were the ones I bought from Monoprice. They have definitely freed up some desk space and I have already moved my mousemat farther back already. I do need to figure out how I want to make better use of some of the desk top space by the wall.
    • Quick review of just the arms: They are OK but not great. The vertical adjustment (after adjustment) and rotate adjustment are fine and work as I imagined them to work but the tilt function is bad. It has only two settings, so loose that the monitor droops on its own or so tight that I don't like how much force I have to apply to tilt the monitor. This will likely not be a problem long term but I wish it was not an issue.
  • Computer cart:
    • EDIT: This is the exact one I bought. Multiple people encouraged me to consider a cart or stand of some kind instead of hanging the PC under the desk. I may still consider an under-desk mount long term but the problem is, outside of DIY, many of the available options had issues of one kind or another. Some obviously would have a tilting issue (backed up by user reviews), some had huge metal mounts that attached to the desk (not sure I would even have the space underneath), others had very low total weight capacity (which could affect future compatibility).  DIY is always a risk and takes more time. 
  • Cabling:
    • I checked multiple times but right now, with the cart, the cables do just barely have enough slack to deal with full height and sit height. This would not be a problem if the tower was mounted under the desk. The cart can be configured to be slightly taller but if I go any taller the tower will hit the desk underneath.
    • Using a combination of either USB extension cables or a USB hub and the wire management "cage" I took off my old desk I think I can tuck away a lot of the cables you can see from the back from the back of the desk. Maybe some black plastic tubing too to "clump" them up. MSpaint concept pic below.
    • Cleaned a little of the cabling in the raceways and put the covers back on.
    • Once I'm a little farther on the cabling portion of this project I will probably then mount the desk controls which are still hanging loose at the moment.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Update.

Pics below.

Phase 3 done. Mostly focused on cables.

• USB cables cleaned up with a combo of USB hub and an extension cable.
  • Wire "cage" from the old desk has been attached underneath the new desk and serves to route cables from front to back. You can just barely see it in both pics below. MSpaint diagram in the last post shows roughly where it is.
  • Longer power cables for the monitors allow for more routing.

It does not feel done still but I don't think there is much left to do really. I do too much work on this desk for it ever to be "pretty".

image.png

image.png

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

That's what I already have and am using now. I transferred it over from my old desk.

On 1/6/2021 at 8:52 AM, kuhla said:
  • Cabling:

I would just caution that a lot of office desks I saw seem to standardize around 30in depth. Butcher blocks of 25in depth is going to be shallower than you might be used to and 40in is much deeper.

2 hours ago, kuhla said:

I would just caution that a lot of office desks I saw seem to standardize around 30in depth. Butcher blocks of 25in depth is going to be shallower than you might be used to and 40in is much deeper.

I'm starting to have ergonomic issues with my current desk at parents house with a 27" depth which was not what I had in my previous home due to the G9 1800R curve being much tight causing my 27" displays edges to be literally be at my 270/90 degree positions. 

The Ikea desk is 25 and 5/8" width which is going to be real issue. Will definitely want something in the 30in+ width range which makes need to throw ikea out of the window.

Still thinking of a 96" x 72" L shape configuration (8' by 6') for the main table. Apparently the standard depth is counter-depth (25"), while the islands can be a variety of widths. I'm looking at a 96x40x1 inch width now at $399: The 1.5" thickness is totally unnecessary but more than doubles the price.  For the shorter length the price is the same regardless of depth (this was wrong due to 1.5" thick vs 1", its $169 vs. $299) (72x40x1" or 72x25x1"). Looking at $700 just for the counters assuming I go this route.image.png

But gray floors + gray counter-top would match white Ikea cabinets pretty well and white walls without repainting the walls gray. The weight of the ikea 

Also found a heavy duty Sit-Stand frame that can handle the wider desk:

https://www.imovr.com/imovr-vigor-diy-standing-desk-base.html - $750

• Rated for 180 lb. lift capacity at full 1.7 inches-per-second travel speed
  • Advanced height control paddle that allows for up to four adjustable height presets 
  • One of the quietest electric bases on the market - only 42 decibels (measured with top on)
  • Maximum weight rating of 490 lbs makes it ideal for heavier table tops
  • Height adjustable stroke of 26" allows desktop heights from 25" to 51" (including 1" top)
  • Extraordinary width range, adjustable from 44" all the way out to 75" spacing between legs

Jarvis Extended - $434:

• 350 lb lifting capacity (inclusive of top weights)
  • Adjustable foot leveling studs for uneven flooring (0.25" adjustment)
  • Operating noise less than 50dB
38 minutes ago, Jedi2155 said:

Also found a heavy duty Sit-Stand frame that can handle the wider desk:

https://www.imovr.com/imovr-vigor-diy-standing-desk-base.html - $750

• Rated for 180 lb. lift capacity at full 1.7 inches-per-second travel speed
  • Advanced height control paddle that allows for up to four adjustable height presets 
  • One of the quietest electric bases on the market - only 42 decibels (measured with top on)
  • Maximum weight rating of 490 lbs makes it ideal for heavier table tops
  • Height adjustable stroke of 26" allows desktop heights from 25" to 51" (including 1" top)
  • Extraordinary width range, adjustable from 44" all the way out to 75" spacing between legs

Jarvis Extended - $434:

• 350 lb lifting capacity (inclusive of top weights)
  • Adjustable foot leveling studs for uneven flooring (0.25" adjustment)
  • Operating noise less than 50dB

That IMOVR looks exactly like mine which cost half as much: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=36078

You think it has different motors in it?

They also have an L-shape desk version too: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34827

I'm pretty sure a lot of the sit-stand desks are OEMed from the same Chinese factories.