Tracking

Jedi2155

6 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

I really want to go to the track with my car at some point.....btw all that rendered data from the video is now recorded via Track Mode on the Model 3 performances.

I did a sort of mini driving school, that also involved some short "races" on a pro race track, through this business:

https://www.hookedondriving.com/

It was fun, educational and a very unique experience. I learned that my car is capable of much more than I am. I am glad I did it but I also learned very quickly that auto racing is a hobby for rich people.

I did make a video of one of the "races" and I can email you a link to that if you want to see an example.

It was fun, educational and a very unique experience. I learned that my car is capable of much more than I am. I am glad I did it but I also learned very quickly that auto racing is a hobby for rich people.

That's been my biggest fear as well. I think we brought this up somewhere else, but the wear tear stress placed on the vehicle will be tremendous.

22 hours ago, T1no said:

not sure if i want to do that to my car.

8 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

but the wear tear stress placed on the vehicle will be tremendous.

Just to clarify, other than some visible wear on the tires, my car did not experience any issues during or after the event (both short term and long term).

Personally, I would feel uneasy about a "performance oriented" vehicle (not just sports cars) that could not even handle one day of hard driving.

3 hours ago, kuhla said:

Just to clarify, other than some visible wear on the tires, my car did not experience any issues during or after the event (both short term and long term).

Personally, I would feel uneasy about a "performance oriented" vehicle (not just sports cars) that could not even handle one day of hard driving.

sure. i agree. its more like i dont want to deal with check engine light and buying new tires after. 

and im sure there are some hidden stuff that take some toll after hammering down your car. bushing, linkage, etc.

speaking of driving. do you guys wanna take like a half day trip to drive somewhere? 

im talking about these https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/southern-california/scenic-drive-backroads-so-cal/ 

maybe not driving @ 10/10 but more like 6-7/10

like leave early morning then come back for breakfas bruncht or something.

21 hours ago, T1no said:

do you guys wanna take like a half day trip to drive somewhere? 

im talking about these https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/southern-california/scenic-drive-backroads-so-cal/ 

maybe not driving @ 10/10 but more like 6-7/10

like leave early morning then come back for breakfas bruncht or something.

Hmmm. I would be willing to try it sometime but I don't know how I feel. Some of the locations in your list just describe them as leisure drives. PCH is often a traffic fest. Isn't Angeles Crest the one where all the bros do their crazy sport driving? I would rather drive somewhere and do something at that location and if it is scenic along the way then that is a nice bonus.

sure i agree with that point. i rather not drive where the other crazy bros are around aniway. that list mostly for getting the point across as an example. but yeah gotta find that spot. drive to big bear also somewhat fun in some part.hill climb type.

When I meant is, when I looked up angeles crest, it was like 30 miles of straight through and I suspect they're might be some more "advanced" turns. I was wondering if there was somewhere smaller/shorter where I could practice taking my car at tighter limits. 

I'm NOT officially joining this yet but I am thinking about it.

Carbon Canyon is too short, too simple and does not even have a lot of turns.

image.png

On the other hand, the route offers a lot more turns to get familiar/practice with.

image.png

A possible outline?

1. Everyone packs their own lunch/brunch/snack.
  2. Sync up at Richard's house.
  3. Be on the road at 9:00-9:15am.
  4. Sync up at Del Taco @ 272 E 40th St, San Bernardino, CA 92404.
  5. Everyone can take their own pace and style going up the mountain.
  6. Sync up at Mackay Park, 321 Rouse Ranch Rd, San Bernardino, CA 92402 where we practice social distancing while eating the lunch/brunch/snack we packed. Some picnic tables there I think. This should be somewhere close to 11:00am.
  7. By 11:30ish drive back down the mountain.
  8. Everyone can take their own pace and style going down the mountain.
  9. (Optional) Sync up at Del Taco @ 272 E 40th St, San Bernardino, CA 92404.
  10. Everyone is back home by about 1:00pm (assuming about 1½ hour drive in both directions).

I assume we meet at my place by 8:30 AM give us about 30-45 minutes to synchronize everything. Sounds like a plan. no activities up there other than lunch? Any interest in a hike in the area?

Is there any recommendations or spirited driving? Any guides or anything? I have my own understanding of course but feel safer if there is a set of expected rules when doing things like this which I've never done before.

*Edit*

I googled a few things:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/videos/a25235/this-is-why-you-dont-screw-around-on-public-roads/

The main thing I know about driving is to always expect the unexpected....I use to be a professional test driver and have seen things I didn't know were possible. Definitely would be interesting.

I'm still NOT officially joining this yet but I am thinking about it.

21 hours ago, T1no said:

sounds like fun but i was thinking earlier. like 7am ish to avoid traffic.

I can understand the reason.... that's just so early.... that would mean waking up at like 5:30am to get ready which is way earlier than I even get up for work during the week.....

8 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

I assume we meet at my place by 8:30 AM give us about 30-45 minutes to synchronize everything. Sounds like a plan. no activities up there other than lunch? Any interest in a hike in the area?

Is there any recommendations or spirited driving? Any guides or anything? I have my own understanding of course but feel safer if there is a set of expected rules when doing things like this which I've never done before.

*Edit*

I googled a few things:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/videos/a25235/this-is-why-you-dont-screw-around-on-public-roads/

The main thing I know about driving is to always expect the unexpected....I use to be a professional test driver and have seen things I didn't know were possible. Definitely would be interesting.

I would consider that video to be reckless driving and not spirited driving. To me spirited driving means frequent rapid acceleration and a lot less or no slowing for turns.

I would not be interested in dedicating an entire day to this, and it is a long enough drive one way, so I would not want to add on an additional activity while up there. I also want to continue to respect social distancing rules.

Also please note Tino's post and time proposal.

1. It is really hard to keep up with group chat sometimes so I would really appreciate if planning conversation is kept inside this thread.
  2. I may regret this later but I guess I will throw in and officially join this if all of 3 of us do it.
  3. I have seen like 5 different locations proposed. We need to settle on just one ASAP. I feel that Tino is an authority on where the best route would be so I am going to ask that he please pick the route. I do not feel that "easy" vs "hard" is even a variable. Everyone will take their own time going up. Some of us may just have a chill drive.
  4. I hate myself but if I have to get up at 5:30am to do this then I guess I will.... but if we do then please remember sunglasses! The sun rises at 5:45am and if we are driving east then we are driving straight into the sun.

that road to lake arrowhead; highway 18 only works or enjoyable if there are barely any cars cause some section are only 1 lane. mostly towards the top.

im not 100% comfortable picking that one. is NOT one of those road that was suggested on best driving roads on threads etc...

jacking this from reddit

LA

Mulholland Highway is always fun. I like to start on Mulholland from Las Virgenes Road headed west. More open and sweeping, then slow down for the spot where the motorcycle folks like to meet up (20-50+ bikes). After that Mulholland tightens up and this portion is known as the snake. Real fun, but also popular by both enthusiasts and authorities. Never go on Sunday 9AM-2PM, pretty much guaranteed busy, unless you are looking for people to chat with. You can continue and get down to the 1 Highway.

Several roads touching the 1 Highway are fun. Decker has a couple hairpins. It is semi-technical and if you keep following it, leads to Westlake Blvd.

Latigo is probably the most consistently technical roads off the 1 Highway that is quite enjoyable. It drops you off in the middle of the next road.

Kanan is a road with nice views of a couple vineyards and 3 tunnels good to hear some revs in. Leads to Agoura Hills.

Stunt Road is a blend of some sweepers, straights, and semi-technical portions that lead to one of the best views at the end. From here it is only another 15 min or so to Tuna Canyon Road.

Tuna Canyon Road is a one way road that is a bit of a drive to get to but is really fun and spits you out onto the 1 Highway. I do want to warn you, as I mentioned in another comment here, just because it is one way doesn't mean any fool can't come up the road. I had it happen once and the guy looked high and did not listen to me wavy my hands trying to stop him. Also, make sure you stay in lower gears for engine braking and have your brakes in good condition if you drive it spiritedly downward. Lastly, sometimes people walk this road, especially at the bottom where there are a lot of trees, be careful.

lol they all north west of LA XD

Santiago Canyon from Santiago Canyon College to Cooks Corner, thats 10 miles of 2-way highway w/o stop lights with only 1 chance of passing

Ortega Highway from San Clemente to Lake Elsinor is even better albeit more dangerous

we dont have to go that early honestly just be on the road @ 7.

I am still just going to leave it up to you to pick but I will say those 2 OC options you posted are pretttttttttttty straight.

The LA options are 1½ hour drive one way so 3 hours of driving just there and back. If you are willing to do that much driving then why not just go to Angeles Crest which was the first option you wanted to do?

It's only 45 minutes to get to the start spot in the morning and you avoid downtown LA.

And about 1 hour to get back in the late-morning again avoiding downtown LA.