Tactically Inept

Tracking

Jedi2155

• Sounds like Angeles Crest is the desired point, I'm fine with that.
  • I might want to supercharge (although not required, I expect only 30-50% battery usage) on the way back which also usually be a good location to have lunch. Just a suggestion.
  • Definitely will need coffee.

Not entirely sure if I had something else in mind on top of this.

On 7/23/2020 at 8:19 AM, Jedi2155 said:

Sounds like Angeles Crest is the desired point, I'm fine with that. I might want to supercharge (although not required, I expect only 30-50% battery usage) on the way back which also usually be a good location to have lunch. Just a suggestion. Definitely will need coffee. Sounds like Angeles Crest is the selected route, I'm fine with that. I might want to supercharge (although not required, I expect only 30-50% battery usage) on the way back which also usually be a good location to have lunch. Just a suggestion. Definitely will need coffee.

Richard, please review your post. I am not sure what happened but I think you I think you meant to include more and ended up with a typo.

Richard & Tino: Please be aware that I have set my alarm clock for 5:45am tomorrow with the intention of being in front of Richard's home at 7:00am.

I will wash my car and swap my wheels tonight. And charge my car to 95% SOC for maximum vroom.

Just confirming the following:

1. Everyone packs their own lunch/brunch/snack. (or eat by yourself on the way back)
  2. Sync up at Richard's house at 7 AM.
  3. Be on the road at 7:15-7:30 am.
  4. Sync up at 7-11 @ 1001 Foothill Blvd, La Cañada Flintridge, CA 91011 ~8 AM
  5. Everyone can take their own pace and style going up the mountain. 
  6. Sync up at Mountain High, 24510 CA-2, Wrightwood, CA 92397 where we practice social distancing while eating the lunch/brunch/snack we packed. Some picnic tables there I think. This should be somewhere close to 10:00am.
  7. By 11:00ish drive back down the mountain through the 15 freeway (1 hour or 1.5 hours reverse course).
  8. Everyone can take their own pace and style going down the mountain.
  9. (Optional) Sync up at Fontana Superchargers @ 15234 Summit Ave, Fontana, CA 92336
  10. (Optional) Sync up at Rancho Cucamonga Superchargers at Victoria Gardens @ Rancho Cucamonga, CA 12505 North Main St
  11. Everyone is back home by about 1:00pm (assuming about 3 hour drive total + 1 hour lunch + 1 hour drive from lunch to home).

https://goo.gl/maps/fhzSmXw4g9Fcm4di8

image.png

feedback

• morning is best.
  • the route we took yesterday was good but its honestly better for faster car / more power.
  • tire was doing fine honestly was driving 7/10. hardly pushing any limits on the michelins.
  • brakes were ok for me. i put a conscious decision to not brake as much. keeping them cool and not fade
  • some body roll that i would like to be less; noticeable when i transfer weight from one side to another. a nice coilover and sway bar should fix. i feel like the gti has much better suspension setup.
  • biker mostly respectful. they ride close to you but i can manage and let them pass most of the time.

19 hours ago, T1no said:

feedback

• morning is best.
  • the route we took yesterday was good but its honestly better for faster car / more power.
  • tire was doing fine honestly was driving 7/10. hardly pushing any limits on the michelins.
  • brakes were ok for me. i put a conscious decision to not brake as much. keeping them cool and not fade
  • some body roll that i would like to be less; noticeable when i transfer weight from one side to another. a nice coilover and sway bar should fix. i feel like the gti has much better suspension setup.
  • biker mostly respectful. they ride close to you but i can manage and let them pass most of the time.

• Morning is absolutely best (on the way there at 7:15am). I was really glad we were already on the way down when I saw that crowd of sports cars coming up the mountain.
  • The route we took (see image below) was everything I had in mind for this trip and had lots of turns at both upwards and downward inclines, including blind turns.
  • It crept up on me unaware but I should not have been surprised that my brakes started fading 2/3 of the way into the driving. I guess I do sometimes forget that I drive "the performance trim edition of a city car".
  • Other than the brakes, my car did absolutely fine in every other way as usual. There were a couple of straightaways I floored it on, and could have used a bit more power, but there were so few opportunities to do that and that was not where the fun was anyways.
  • There were plenty of bikers (both pedal powered and motored) and they generally did not cause me too many issues although there was one motorcycle driver who got awfully close to me while passing in the opposite lane.
  • Was what we did overall safe (driving)? Eh. Sorta. I was going as fast as I felt comfortable even though there was the occasional car in the opposite lane going the other direction. I never shot for the apex on any turns and only shifted in the other lane to get around bikers when I had clear view of any oncoming traffic.

For documentation purposes, the map of the route:

image.png

• Definitely would consider doing this route again.
  • Lead vs. follower: I definitely enjoyed being the follower more because it gave me confidence needed to push myself harder to the limits of the vehicle.
  • As a lead: I was almost never using my brakes (almost regen entirely) far less lateral g-forces which means I need to push myself harder as everything felt really smooth and easy (even at 50 mph). I was putting way too much safety margin (taking turns at 50 mph vs. 60-70 mph) vs. going in a turn at high speed then hitting brakes to improve turning.
  • Amazed at the efficiency of this "spirited drive" and the overall calmness of my vehicle. I have a LOT of headroom to grow into and the limit presently is definitely the driver. Would like to close this limit some more.
  • I'm definitely hit 90-100 mph on the Upper Big Tupunga Canyon drive. Felt a lot more g-forces when I was following Drew in the Angeles Forest why though.
  • Still shocked to see how many high powered vehicles were in the area.
  • I felt really bad about not giving space to the Porsche was who was tailing me. Not familiar with how to do that, what proper protocol was etc.

55 minutes ago, Jedi2155 said:

Felt a lot more g-forces when I was following Drew in the Angeles Forest why though.

Hmm. I'm not sure. I wonder how Tino and I compare when it came to speed when entering corners and if that was a factor in what you perceived. 

On 7/31/2020 at 12:02 AM, Jedi2155 said:

So when do we want to try this again? It was fun last time.

I don't want to leave you hanging.

Speaking for myself, I'm not sure is the straight answer. I'm probably going to get an oil change in the next couple of weeks.

I also am not sure if we will find a road that is much better than that. It basically had everything I think we were looking for. It did not have much straightaways but I that's a good thing because it forced us to keep our speed lower. All the turns allowed for a lot of opportunties to work with breaking, feel the cars roll and other behavior.

Again I would have to default to Tino if he has other destinations in mind for spirited driving.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a big race competition right now on Pike's Peak 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikes_Peak_International_Hill_Climb
http://ppihc.org/competitors/

Whats most interesting is that 3 model 3's entered the race, and 2 have already crashed.

Mountain Pass Performance is a Tesla Tuner for Tracking

Randy Probst is a famed driver who holds several records in various tracks (Laguna Seca / Buttonwillow) for top time over various vehicles. He's a journalist for Motor Trend as their main driver. He also helped design Tesla's Track mode specifically allowing it to better customized to real world needs.

From the wiki as well " He is currently a Mazda, Volvo, Audi and Porsche factory supported driver." If you want to understand driving dynamics you usually go to Randy is what I hear his reputation is like:
https://www.randypobst.com/

Him crashing is a major big deal because of that.