AMD Radeon 6000 series

• 1 month later...

If AMD's charts are to be believed (I mostly believe them) the 6800XT is very comparable to the 3080.  Of course it's also $50 cheaper with an MSRP of $650.  I actually don't give a shit about the 6900 XT or the 3090, both of them are halo products that make no sense. 

Hot take: AMD could be extremely competitive with Nvidia and even slightly cheaper, but I'm still worried about AMDs drivers.  There's also the slow adoption of ray tracing, I'm not sure if games that currently support RTX will support AMD's DX12 implementation or what the performance will be like.  AMD generally has an answer for Nvidia's special sauce: gsync - adaptive sync | DLSS - CAS | Reflex - Antilag/Boost.  I'm curious how all of that compares but it's very encouraging to see AMD doing so well. 
There's also the consoles to consider, AMD supplies that hardware as well and I'm curious if that means they could see some advantages on the PC side because of it. 

• 2 weeks later...

list of reviews - https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-rx-6800-series-review-roundup

Quickly skimmed through 3 reviews and it seems like in terms of.....

1. power usage
  2. temps
  3. noise
  4. "basic" performance at 1080p, 1440p, 4k

....the 6800 XT is absolutely competitive with the 3080 but as soon as you also factor in....

• ray tracing
  • DLSS (AMD will have their own version of this soon)
  • NVENC for streaming

.....then Nvidia stays on top. Also apparently Nvidia will have their own Smart Access Memory equivalent soon.

I think I'm going to stick with Nvidia for now. Nice to see AMD competing again though. I'm not sure if it will be enough to push Nvidia a bit but I hope so.

The "smart access memory" is AMD marketing for resizable base address register.  It's a microsoft initiative and is expected to come to Nvidia at some point in the future.  AMD has the advantage of owning both the CPU and GPU side which is why they're rolling it out on 5000 series CPUs and 6000 series GPUs right now, but I believe the eventual release will be more widespread. 

Ray Tracing performance isn't surprising, AMD is on gen1 and nvidia is on gen2, I suspect the ray tracing support will get better over time, and DLSS is doing some heavy lifting to help boost the Nvidia numbers on that front as well.  The AMD super sampling (I thought it was going to be CAS, guess that's a different upscaling tech?) is supposed to be releasing in December with the launch of the 6900XT, which I suspect won't do quite as well as DLSS, but it also won't require developers to send in their game to Nvidia's supercomputer to get support. 

NVENC competition is funny to mention because AMD's GPU streaming/rendering tech has been straight up broken for a long time.  It's terrible image quality (when you can get it to work) for the bitrate and even on the productivity side Linus showed some serious issues with various rendering tests.  Basically CUDA is the current industry standard and AMD would need to dedicate some time/engineers to try and fix these issues. 

It's clear AMD spent their GPU R&D budget on getting as close in rasterized performance to nvidia as they could manage - and they succeeded.  But as kuhla mentioned, all the various value adds that Nvidia has spent the last few years introducing, push it over the edge. 
Of course none of that matters if you can't buy a 3080...

I also think that this is clearly enough to push nvidia, there were rumors in the last month or so about a 3080ti already, and I suspect that was nvidia covering their ass in case the performance of the 6800XT flat out beat the 3080, they would quickly announce they have a "new" fastest gaming card and drop that to maintain market dominance.  They might still release a 3080ti early in their product lifecycle is they think the 6900XT blows up the new titan 3090 in gaming performance. 

I really dislike the current trend of mid-cycle refreshes and petty bickering over minor performance increases.  I wish Nvidia was content to just let the 3000 series sit on it's own and maybe release the ti's in a year, instead we're probably going to have 3080 "super" cards at some point so Nvidia marketing can point to better performance and release even more skus to confuse the hell out of people and muddy generational performance comparisons. 

I'm particularly interesting DLSS from nVidia, but ray tracing and NVENC are both nice to have but not critical for me. I might stick with a 3080 due to the sheer performance "meh" from the 3090. Or 3080 Ti / 6800 XT. Those are my 3 contenders. 3090 is like 100% the price for 10-15% perf. in most 4K cases

My 32:9 ultra wide is basically 4k

3840*2160
5120*1440

I'm not in a hurry for a new GPU since i game so little

"resizeable base address register" thats sounds like a  hardware thing.....nVidia likely won't be able to add it to the 3xxx unless they've already took that capability into account during the hardware design phase. I mean pre-designed for it but just haven't enabled it yet due to software.

From Drew:
According to Steve at Gamers Nexus, Nvidia told him they will be adding it with software to all 3000 cards let me get the twitter link.......
Makes sense to me since it's a PCI standard.

""""From NVIDIA, re:SAM: “The capability for resizable BAR is part of the PCI Express spec. NVIDIA hardware supports this functionality and will enable it on Ampere GPUs through future software updates. We have it working internally and are seeing similar performance results."""""

I was thinking more about the importance of DLSS / NVENC / RT on the broad range of cards.

DLSS makes a much bigger impact on improving IQ on the lower end cards because you're much more performance constrained compared to the horsepower on the higher end cards. So a 3070 / 3060 Ti would be a better buy than a 6800 etc. card because those features make up a larger difference in performance.

RT is less of a impact on the lower end cards because face it, the performance is still crap.

NVENC makes a bigger impact on the lower end cards as well since you have less spare horsepower on your system compared to a high end system.

22 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

DLSS makes a much bigger impact on improving IQ on the lower end cards because you're much more performance constrained compared to the horsepower on the higher end cards. So a 3070 / 3060 Ti would be a better buy than a 6800 etc. card because those features make up a larger difference in performance.

My perspective on DLSS is that it helps mid-range card owners push into high-end monitor territory. If you can take a game running at 1440p and DLSS-upscale it to 4k or something ultrawide like you have then you suddenly have more monitors available to shop for. Especially for mixed usage where 4k would be useful for work but it would be difficult to drive a game at that res.

EDIT: I should probably provide the context that 4k monitors have come down a lot in price: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?Submit=Property&Subcategory=20&N=100161617 8000 4814 600338147 600560547&IsPowerSearch=1&Order=1