Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Not everything deserves it's own forum post, feel free to dump here with whatever random show/movie you watched recently 

The Crown season 4 - I binged the 4th season and felt a bit mixed about it.  I was disappointed they didn't do more with margaret thatcher because she served as PM for 11.5 years and was incredibly divisive (severe understatement).  There's a fairly big focus on princess diana (understandable), and the actress that plays her does a great job and really looks the part.  But they're still glossing over huge swaths of conflict surrounding her marriage to prince charles and at times seem to make the royals look much better than reality, which is funny because they still look like major assholes most of the time.  I think they're recasting the actors again for the next seasons, which will be interesting to see.  I'm also curious just how "modern" they'll get, I feel like a large portion of the appeal of the show has to do with it being a docudrama/period piece and showing modern times might take away from some of the uniqueness of the show. 
I saw a post on reddit that recommended a podcast called "You're Wrong About" which has 5 episodes regarding princess Diana that goes into much more detail.  It's been fairly well rounded and does mention that basically every person involved is shitty in their own way.  I'm not done with the podcast episodes (they're 1.5 hours each) but it's been eye opening to compared to the show and see what parts were glossed over and which were given justice. 

Blood of Zeus - I'm a few episodes into this, it's the same animation studio as castlevania and the style even looks very similar.  It's based on greek mythology but they upfront say that this is their alternate version (with demons).  The story is mostly garbage, not nearly as good as castlevania and the characters haven't done much to impress me.  There's mention of the olympian pantheon following strict rules regarding meddling with the mortals, and it brought back very strong memories of an animorphs spinoff I read as a teenager - the ellimist chronicles, which basically pits a good vs evil "game" on a universe scale but each "player" can only make minor adjustments like changing weather or increasing birth rates, the rest is outside of their control.  The greek gods sometimes follow this same style of rules, where direct intervention is not allowed but minor influence is considered within bounds, other times they straight up get involved - mostly zeus fucking around constantly. 
I'm always surprised just how easily media dismisses zeus fucking around.  In greek mythos he basically fucks anything and everything, but somehow other gods (including his wife) mostly let this slide by.  I guess it's a product of a different age. 

Archer season 11 - I've watched this show, especially from season 3 onwards and generally enjoyed it.  They did a few seasons of "what if" storylines that they played off as the main character in a coma/dream.  They've gone back to the main storyline and it didn't feel as fun or interesting. 

Fargo season 4 - Same writer/showrunner and he's been damn consistent.  This season is just as solid as before and still enjoyable.  I admit chris rock doesn't do a great job being convincing, but the other acting has been solid and fits in their slightly weird mold. 

Star Trek: The Undiscoverd Country - At kuhla's insistence, he recommended I watch this film.  I'd only ever seen bits and pieces of the original series and the associated movies, so much like when I watched TNG as an adult a while back it was interesting to watch this with new perspectives.  The main plot is pretty basic, but reasonably well done - there's absolutely some tropes and usual bullshit: kirk making out with a hot alien, bones trying his best to be a real doctor, a shittload of shakespeare and classic literary references - including by the klingons (what the fuck is that about).  There are also some elements of proper star trek: the klingons call out the federation for being human centric and using terms like human rights, xenophobia on both sides, and even thinly veiled critiques of the cold war and the military industrial complex.  Overall the film is decent but not great. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2020 at 9:34 PM, Malaphax said:

Star Trek: The Undiscoverd Country - At kuhla's insistence, he recommended I watch this film.  I'd only ever seen bits and pieces of the original series and the associated movies, so much like when I watched TNG as an adult a while back it was interesting to watch this with new perspectives.  The main plot is pretty basic, but reasonably well done - there's absolutely some tropes and usual bullshit: kirk making out with a hot alien, bones trying his best to be a real doctor, a shittload of shakespeare and classic literary references - including by the klingons (what the fuck is that about).  There are also some elements of proper star trek: the klingons call out the federation for being human centric and using terms like human rights, xenophobia on both sides, and even thinly veiled critiques of the cold war and the military industrial complex.  Overall the film is decent but not great. 

So I have a lot of to add to this. I first saw this movie  20+ years ago on VHS so I do have some nostalgia bias.

The Shakespeare stuff is definitely overdone but I liked it from the perspective that it gave the Klingon's some depth; showing they have a culture that at least is complex enough to enjoy theater. So many other times they are portrayed as just a bunch of bloodthirsty warriors with nothing else on their minds. The movie goes farther on this point talking about the different factions vying for control in the Klingon empire with some not even wanting to prolong conflict.

The xenophobia is the real star of the film. So often Starfleet is portrayed as this shining utopia of idealism but this movie presents that not everyone is like this and sometimes for very understandable reasons.

Still head and shoulders above any recent Star Trek content.

On 11/18/2020 at 9:34 PM, Malaphax said:

Fargo season 4 - Same writer/showrunner and he's been damn consistent.  This season is just as solid as before and still enjoyable.  I admit chris rock doesn't do a great job being convincing, but the other acting has been solid and fits in their slightly weird mold.

I feel like this season has been less consistent than the others. Less "fun". More serious. Chris Rock does feel authentic when he gets animated/angry/agitated (which has mostly only happened in the most recent episodes) but when he is just calm I feel like he is just too flat and as the biggest name in this season (I think) that is not great. Still a decent show but I'm not quite hooked on it like the previous seasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, kuhla said:

The Shakespeare stuff is definitely overdone but I liked it from the perspective that it gave the Klingon's some depth; showing they have a culture that at least is complex enough to enjoy theater. So many other times they are portrayed as just a bunch of bloodthirsty warriors with nothing else on their minds. The movie goes farther on this point talking about the different factions vying for control in the Klingon empire with some not even wanting to prolong conflict.

The xenophobia is the real star of the film. So often Starfleet is portrayed as this shining utopia of idealism but this movie presents that not everyone is like this and sometimes for very understandable reasons.

Still head and shoulders above any recent Star Trek content.

I'm sure we'll discuss more of this offline, but I think my issue is that the way they try and expand the Klingon empire's culture is incredibly - dated.  I think a more modern style of worldbuilding would have the Klingons talking about Klingon opera (mentioned later in TNG/DS9) or something unique to their arts and culture.  Klingon's being aware of major human culture makes some sense, but I feel like Sun Tzu's Art of War would fit better than quoting Shakepeare, or maybe set up more of a dichotomy with the diplomat being aware of Shakespeare but the general quoting Sun Tzu. 

The xenophobia is well done, and while it's not universal there's large swaths of Starfleet, Vulcans and Klingons that all have such massive distrust built up over time that they have a hard time empathizing (almost said humanizing, lol) with one another.  Where it falls a bit flat is Kirk having such a huge about face, and Spock almost giving up on diplomacy.  I get that they're trying to leave it on a high note, but I feel like Kirk should have moved towards a grudging respect for the Klingon's desire towards peace/armistice rather than showing him totally onboard. 
I'm glad this is before they had fleshed out section 31, because if this movie was done today they would try to shoehorn that in. 

Sidenote about Blood of Zeus, I was trying to place the voice for the major villain, and after a bit I realized it's done by the actor who played Adam Jensen in Deus Ex.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Queen's Gambit - It's a romanticized fiction about a woman playing chess at the professional level in the mid-sixties.  It's well acted, and well written, the pace of the miniseries is quick enough that it doesn't overstay it's welcome.  It's also done wonders for people's interest in chess, similar to lord of the rings legolas and hunger games katniss everdeen did for archery when those films released.  They don't go particularly deep with the themes of mental health and addiction struggles, but they do play with the idea of madness and genius being two sides of the same coin.  There's also an entire subplot about the russians and the cold war, but it's framed much more in a personal rivalry than anything grandiose or overly patriotic.  The miniseries is definitely worth a watch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...