Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2020

kuhla

In that case, then yeah minimal cost works for you. In terms of feature set and capability with compactness, the Canon TR8520/8620 is pretty good but feels like a huge step down compared to what I had prior (MX 860, 892, 922) in losing the duplex ADF. Very important for digitizing a ton of my paperwork (you have a lot as a home owner).

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/tr-series-inkjet/pixma-tr8620

5 hours ago, kuhla said:

If you are using Windows 10, keep it up to date on patches, and fully enable Windows Defender's features then it can go toe-to-toe with most commercial endpoint protection products these days.

Thanks for the verification, I guess I'll skip NOD32 these these.
On a side note, I ended up ordering the G9 directly from Samsung, looks like my sister's government discount kicked in, but unfortunately cashback doesn't apply:

image.png

image.png

1 hour ago, Jedi2155 said:

Thanks for the verification, I guess I'll skip NOD32 these these.

Please please please do not take any endpoint protection product as an excuse not to have a robust backup methodology for data that you care deeply about. I have directly worked with multiple enterprise grade solutions and even those are not 100% effective.

3 hours ago, kuhla said:

Please please please do not take any endpoint protection product as an excuse not to have a robust backup methodology for data that you care deeply about. I have directly worked with multiple enterprise grade solutions and even those are not 100% effective.

I have no idea what an end point protection product is.....

8 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

I have no idea what an end point protection product is.....

Old school term would be "antivirus product". The reason that term was sort of deprecated in the security industry is because it's just not accurate anymore; too many people associate that with the download-file-hash-lists-and-scan-files routine. Almost any modern security program you would load on a workstation/server has a lot more heuristic-style features now for file behavior, often also monitors actions in memory, script engines and possibly networking too. EDIT: Not to mention cloud everything cloud all the things cloud this cloud that

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

SHIIIIIII, for some reason I realized my DS1520+ order never went through.....fuuu it was on sale for $630 and apparently the order  never went through  and I didn't notice.

So like you had it in your cart and didn't complete checkout?

2 minutes ago, Jedi2155 said:

Yeah, I was almost sure it had completed check out but apparently I never followed up.

Is $699.99 the normal price? That is what I am seeing most places: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1584539-REG/synology_diskstation_ds1520_5_bay_nas.html

If you want to keep costs down, the DS920+ seems to have the same CPU, so it should not affect your ability to run lots of extras on it, but just one disk less however it's $150 cheaper: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1570609-REG/synology_diskstation_ds920_4_bay_nas.html

I was doing a ton of reading on the DS920+ but its $550 now and dropped to $440 on BF which means the discount was larger on a sale. vs. a $70 discount on the DS1520+. I might just wait to see maybe there's another sale on either units hopefully on Christmas rather than paying full price. We'll see how it goes. I have a lot of things on my plate so its not the highest priority.