Here is what I want....

I want....

• A shooter.
  • Multiplayer. Does not need to have any singleplayer component.
  • Aesthetically based in now or very near future. No post apocalypse. No far future.
  • At least 32 players although 64 preferable. More than that I don't care. Too chaotic.
  • Tick rate like 60 minimum. Anything less is just going to cause too many weird situations.
  • I don't care if there is a cash shop but limit it to purely aesthetic items only.
  • Air and ground vehicles. They don't have to be combat vehicles.
  • "Classes" of some sort with unique abilities that forces people to dedicate themselves to a role.
  • Maps should have the size and scale to include a mixture of terrain.
  • Optional squad system. Want to be a coordinated team? Great. Want to just go solo? great.
  • Game modes should reward playing the objective (whatever that is) or assisting the team/squad. K/D is always rewarded in its own way even if it is just bragging rights.
  • Combat and movement mechanics should not get so hung up on "realism" at the expense of fun and fast/fluid combat.
  • Do not make death a terrible punishment. It should not be a complicated or needlessly slow process to respawn and get back into the action.
  • A lot of games have this now but I have pretty much come to expect a smart-ping system and auto-vaulting system.

A point I forgot to add....

• Even if it goes against the setting or aesthetic of the game, there should NOT be any combat mechanics that are low-skill AND low-risk AND high-reward AND does not have a very straightforward counter.
    • Examples of what to avoid:
      • suicide UCAV
      • personal mortor
      • claymore
  • 1 month later...

So

what if.....

1. You had a battle royale type structure where you are deployed to a map and have a solo/team winner to keep PvP as priority and competitive angle
  2. You had neutral NPCs which only engage if you aggro providing for a little bit of PvE optional opportunity
  3. There was some kind of resource collection or side activity that was also part of the game so even if you are eliminated half way through the match it can still count towards something (currency for skins?)

You mean crucible

Honestly, I'm just not that enamored with battle royale systems.  It's a numbers game - if I play a team based game, even if I'm absolutely crap, I'll win ~50%.  A battle royale with 20+ teams only has 1 winner, and while you can certainly still have fun without winning it creates such a lopsided win/loss ratio that it does suck some of the enjoyment out of the game. 

Also, I've only really seen PvPvE sort of work in MMO type games.  Having a designated area which both factions have access to, or even a structured competitive section where two parties can compete on score and direct PvP.  Aion did that pretty well, but it wasn't a perfect system.  In a shooter style environment, the closest is gambit and unfortunately that has it's own set of problems. 

19 hours ago, Malaphax said:

It's a numbers game - if I play a team based game, even if I'm absolutely crap, I'll win ~50%. 

Wins are nice but if I just get completely carried I don't feel like I earned it.

19 hours ago, Malaphax said:

In a shooter style environment, the closest is gambit and unfortunately that has it's own set of problems. 

Gambit has lots of problems but for this comparison it is especially with the PvP component where it's a 1v4, with wall hacks, an overshield and usually a heavy weapon with some gimmick.

20 hours ago, Malaphax said:

You mean crucible?

Crucible is a shooter in the same way Overwatch is a shooter. It barely qualifies.

On 3/19/2021 at 2:48 PM, kuhla said:

So

what if.....

1. You had a battle royale type structure where you are deployed to a map and have a solo/team winner to keep PvP as priority and competitive angle
  2. You had neutral NPCs which only engage if you aggro providing for a little bit of PvE optional opportunity
  3. There was some kind of resource collection or side activity that was also part of the game so even if you are eliminated half way through the match it can still count towards something (currency for skins?)

Another idea kind of from Insurgency

• Add "supply points" for the initial drop. Very limited. You can spend them on gear but a weapon would be expensive so you could select some handgun and 2-3 additional magazines (safe option) or an SMG/rifle but that would use up all your points without any additional magazines (risky option). This would avoid the Apex problem of landing without any weapon at all and would still incentivize you to gather other gear and ammo. Also if you have that one gun you really like then you can have it on drop but you may only have one magazine so you will have to make your shots count.