Tactically Inept

Have you been pwned?

Jedi2155

https://haveibeenpwned.com/PwnedWebsites

Luckily my company work policy forces me to have a new password every 90 days, and I cannot reuse the past 21 passwords. This forced me into a habit of creating new passwords regularly and tracking which accounts I've forgotten to update. I recommend everyone do the same and check to see if any of your old services/social media has been hacked.

Funny enough jedi2155 was only pwned on Battlefield Heroes....I thought I did pretty well in that game.

A work relevant topic yay.

....check to see if any of your old services/social media has been hacked.

This isn't exactly correct. The criteria for something being listed on that site is that a public dump has been made of at least the email addresses of the users. In some cases, passwords were not leaked, so the account could not be logged in to but there was still a database of names, emails, etc. It's more about information privacy than anything, knowing if your information is "out there". There is also no guarantee that the leaked information has even been used by anyone. Sometimes the groups post dumps just as proof of success.

Of course, password policies and management of multiple complex passwords is an important point to always be vigilant about. Here is a short, 3 page PDF document from the SANS institute with some good policies: https://www.sans.org/security-resources/policies/general/pdf/password-construction-guidelines

For your highest security accounts, you really want to shoot for >15 characters and have them be unique to each website/system.

A couple of the more recent hacks that were announced such as LinkedIn said that their user/pw database in 2012 was hacked and it was just announced now....

The passwords were SHA1 hashed but unsalted. A couple of people in EVE has been complaining their online game accounts have been hacked to steal their assets and they even turned on their two factor authentication to lock the original user out.