Tactically Inept

Browsers

Malaphax

I was dithering about on the internet this evening and I came across some interesting stuff about browsers. Now I realize that chrome reports some user data (google overlords and what not) and while I've been messing around with my chrome experiment, I have had some issues as well as some improvements. To sum it up briefly, chrome has the benefits of treating each tab as seperate (to prevent crashing the whole thing) and is a bit faster. But on the other hand certain addons do not work and I've noticed even with noscript and adblock I still get ads (mostly on streams) and certain web pages look pretty nasty, firefox adblock seems to close gaps where ads normally are, chrome does not always do a good job of this.

So I get linked to about 50 thousand things and I've not really had too much time to check all of this out but I will probably look into at least some of this.

First up is the firefox stuff:

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/aurora/

http://nightly.mozilla.org/

What little I can tell are that aurora seems to be developer and html5 updates. Nightly seems to be an enhanced version that I assume updates nightly.

There's a chrome variant which does not provide user data to the google overlords:

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_i...ome_vs_iron.php

This is mostly for the tinfoil hats and happens to run with a built in adblock as well as a few UI tweaks etc...

Finally this is another version of firefox for 64bit systems:

http://waterfoxproject.org/faq/

Which seems mostly like another set of upgrades for firefox, obviously the 64bit will help out on higher end systems but I do wonder if that might affect general performance and result in more system resources being used. Probably not a big deal for any of us, but certainly not very viable for a laptop/mobile device.

I might try messing around with a few of these browsers in the coming weeks. I'll probably start small with the aurora/nightly versions of firefox and maybe branch out to a few more fun ones a bit later. I'll also probably write a bit more about my chrome experiences within the week. I will almost certainly be testing some other browsers and if I do end up going back, I'll probably try out the iron chrome variant. I've been running into a constant stream of small niggling issues that just seem to make the experience far more work, versus the effortless browsing I've been used to for the past years.

Finally this is another version of firefox for 64bit systems:

http://waterfoxproject.org/faq/

Which seems mostly like another set of upgrades for firefox, obviously the 64bit will help out on higher end systems but I do wonder if that might affect general performance and result in more system resources being used. Probably not a big deal for any of us, but certainly not very viable for a laptop/mobile device.

On the contrary

Why should I use a 64-Bit version of Firefox?

For some people with older systems, the 64-Bit version loads quicker and is much more responsive than the 32-Bit build. For people with newer systems, it allows them to use the full potential of their systems.

I could go in depth as to why this is, but it makes sense to me.

A small set of updates. I tried out nightly, which has a 64bit version. I got so many crashes in a just 2 sittings I had to switch. It crashed if you left the browser alone for 5 minutes, it crashed on flash videos, it crashed on damn well everything. I might go back to it again at some point, because this is not the norm. I've read that most people have almost no issues with it and it's rather stable.

Swapped to aurora for the past week or so. It's been running fine, no issues, no crashes. The browser is very similar to firefox, but there are still a few differences. Clicking on a link to a picture now displays it on a dark gray background as opposed to a bright white page, it's also centered instead of top left. I'm sure there's more going on under the surface, but I haven't seen too much else in terms of noticeable difference. It seems about the same speed as firefox was before, and every addon that I use has worked out fine. I did however try one addon that did not seem to work, I may try and get that one to work again within the week.

When I get a chance, I'll try nightly again, and if I still get serious issues, I'll try out that chrome variant to see if it works well with ad blocking.

I may also try out aurora as my mobile browser. Although I do have to admit the opera browser has served me well especially because their "speed dial" page is just so damn useful.

• 2 weeks later...