Jedi2155

i bought a new hard drive

should i replace my

primary 160gb drive- net gain 1340 GB

secondary 300gb drive - net gain 1200 GB

secondary "broken" 500gb drive - net gain 1000 GB

primary would give most space

secondary 300 would give most space without hassle of reformatting

secondary 500 has speed issues (very slow), so it would improve performance. but would give the least space

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ren you fail at reading topic titles.

haha. good move.

If you don't need the space immediately (or won't use it up very fast), I would replace the 500 and try to warranty replace the 500. If you do..then swap the primary.

+1 on that. I don't like the idea of "broken" drives in my system. Replace it.

its not broken, its just slow.

i dont need the space immediately as i would still be gaining 1.2tbs of net space even if i replace the 300gb

there is no way i can warranty replace it.

after some thought i'm definitely not swapping the primary as i WILL be filling up this drive, and when i change os's on my system i would have to find some way to offload 1.3 tbs of data before i do a reformat? <-- this is not possible for me btw.

before you suggest it, i don't like partitioning my drives so im not doing that.

so right now its between 200gb space vs performance increase on a storage drive (when i say slow i mean ~20MB/s read/writes)

im leaning towards the extra space as most of the stuff on that drive can probably stay put for a couple years without me needing to move it (so it would just be reads that would be slow)

well its alot faster on hdtune than what I usually get in real world usage but I guess it wasn't as slow as I thought it was.. still out of these 2 drives which would you replace? I'm mainly asking richard since I already got kuhla's opinon

Posted Image

Posted Image

Look at the time groupings of that seagate...so just small... and tight.

But anyways, I'm guessing you just formatted the Seagate, but I would remove the Seagate.

Although why is your access times so high? They look like almost like 5400 rpm drives O.o, or going through a raid controller.

Look at the time groupings of that seagate...so just small... and tight.

But anyways, I'm guessing you just formatted the Seagate, but I would remove the Seagate.

Although why is your access times so high? They look like almost like 5400 rpm drives O.o, or going through a raid controller.

your post didn't make sense to me

• 3 weeks later...

So i will soon have 4 hdd's. My 250gb samsung, 500gb samsung. And 2*1.5tb seagates

Currently I have my 250gb as my primary drive, and my 500gb is backups/anime/iso's in an external.

Now I'm wondering if I should keep the 500gb as an external for some backups, and let the 1.5's be my mainstay for data...

OR I could go absolutely crazy and keep the 1.5's in raid 1, so that my data is 100% backed up. Currently my 500gb is getting full, so I would still have 1tb of space to work with even if I had the drives in raid 1

I don't plan on wasting space just because I have it, I don't really need the full 3tb's. So i'm thinking at least for now of keeping the seagate drives in raid 1.

I assume raid 1 is not hard to do and my mobo supports it. Worst case scenario if for some reason I do start to run out of space, I can just un-raid the drives and use them both individually.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

After trying to troubleshoot a relative's laptop and plugging his laptop drive into my main system....my Raptor died. Reallocated Sector failure...I hate my nVidia chipset in how it won't allow me to check SMART data due to the way the drivers work.

I was just trying to deal with this very possiblity just last week as I wasn't sure as to the health of my drives but here it is voila, died, and didn't get a chance to backup my OS drive (luckily I have a lot of the data just older copies backed up but still lost enough to annoy me significantly).

I might have a workable system image I made back on the 24th and hopefully the only reason it failed would be that my drive was borked....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So I noticed a whining noise coming from my case a 2-3 times recently but didn't think much of it, fan or something. It happened again today and I wanted to know what it was so I took side panel off and it is definitely the hard drive. The last time I heard a sound like that coming from a hard drive it died not long later. This drive is pretty old. I may look into buying a new hard drive soon for fear of losing what I've got on here right now.

Turned on my computer about 15 minutes ago, went on youtube, started watching a clip and about half way through there was a large thump (both a shake to my desk and a noise from the case) and everything stopped responding. Hard drive is 100% dead. It won't even spin up. I'm currently posting from mom's laptop. My windows 7 key and image is on there so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that right now. I'm going to see about what other driver I can use right now and possibly start installing Vista again tonight. I'll also probably be buying a new hard drive in the next day or two. Might be a western digital 1tb.

EDIT: So I literally just walked back into my room and grabbed an old hard drive on top of my desk, replaced the other drive and now I'm downloading 10 million updates. This image is OLD. I've got anime on here I forgot I ever downloaded. Wierd. Still need to figure out what I'm going to do about all my lost data. Hmmm.

EDIT 2: To give you an idea how old, I've got the image on my desktop from Age of Conan the resource gathering in Lachish Plains.

So some progress:

* Multiplayer games currently available are TF2. That's it. I may play some of that tonight. Aion is downloading but that will take a long time. There are a small handful of single player games on here too so I may look into those.

* I see that the microsoft academic thing saves all your keys online so I was able to get my Win7 key again. I may try to get the cd image from one of you guys though instead of trying to re-download that.

* Tomorrow I will most likely place an order for a WD1001FALS 1TB drive. If I knew that the WD1001FAsS (2*500GB platters -vs- current 3*334GB platters) were coming out soon then I'd wait for it but there is no release date for them. Samsung F3 is both out of stock and price difference is only $15 .... and my illogical peace of mind is worth at least that much. I'm a western digital fan, this is truth.

I'm not totally happy with my options right now for hard drives but I don't really want to wait either.

(1) The "advanced format" drives should start appearing soon, first in lower performing models but should make their way up with some time.

(2) Western Digital top end drives are due for a refresh soon.

If I had even a rough estimate on when those two events would happen, I could decide if I want to wait or not. I want to move to Win7 as soon as I can.

I may try to talk my family into assisting in the funding of a backup drive for all our photos and some of my data. It would be disconnected most of the time, stored in a box. The Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EADS 1.5TB seems like a cheap drive that would serve that function well.

I'm still looking at a Western Digital Caviar Black (WD1001FALS) 1TB as a new primary drive for my PC. I can get it for $97.80 (assuming before tax), shipped from NextWarehouse.com with Bing cashback. I don't see an option for newegg.

EDIT: I've also mulled over the idea of two drives. A storage drive and a primary drive. The logic I'm following is that two drives means twice the chance for mechanical failure but the primary drive would be getting significantly more usage than the storage drive so I would assume the storage drive would last much longer. I dunno. It's more $$$ but I'm not sure it would mean less chance of data loss.

IMO: Buy a cheap lower end storage drive like the EADS right now and use that as a primary. Later on when the new WD's are released, buy that and use that as a primary HOWEVER partition it so that you have a small OS section where you can do a complete Image of from time to time onto the older EADS storage drive.