• 5 months later...
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 months later...

So this has started back up in full swing.

Episode 1 was crap, it rightfully deserved a ton of the criticism that it received. The entire Dornish plotline has been a travesty, Dany's storyline continues to be a gigantic snoozefest punctuated by manufactured drama. Briene's timing was about as cliche as possible, but wait! there's more! They pull the same old tired trope of powerful women being old hags seeking to make themselves beautiful. The levels of Disney shit in episode 1 were absolutely disgusting.

Then Episode 2 comes along and restores all faith in the show. The acting was on point, the story moved fast, Euron was introduced and gave a semi-famous speech before tossing Balon off the bridge. Robert Strong being a goddamn frankenstein monster is fantastic. Cersei getting back into her lioness role with Tommen. Jaime realizing just how bad everything has gotten in King's landing. The awesome flashback sequence that Bran witnesses and they even hint that he won't stay in the Tree forever. To top it all off they managed to not draw out Jon's resurrection and we'll start seeing some serious plot movement this season.

Damn, I'm flat out excited with what they managed to pull off last night. I guess they just needed to completely ignore Dany and Dorne and we get the best episode in a long time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was pretty happy with how the last episode of the season went overall. I feel like "episode 10" in previous seasons has been mostly wrap-up after the big events that always happen in "episode 9". Not this time. Episode 10 was possibly the strongest of the season to me. A lot of the steps they took to move the story along so that we can put an end in sight make sense.

I felt like this was a good episode mostly because of the forward momentum it had. This entire season has been moving the plot at lightning speed and episode 10 felt like the culmination of that. I do feel like it was a much brighter episode that I would have liked, it seemed to end too cleanly leaving me feeling a bit too satisfied at the moment.

Also, the books and series have obviously diverged quite a bit from one another, but until last night there were still a few characters and timelines in the books that were ahead of the show. Last night they closed just about all of those with the slight exception of Sam who is still just a tiny bit behind where the books left him. Otherwise everything seems to be pushing forwards and well past the book material.

I keep hearing conflicting reports on where they plan to go with the series at this point, but the last I've heard was next season will be 7 episodes instead of 10. I'm not sure if the length of the episodes will remain near the 1 hour mark or if they'll break past that and start going for longer episodes. I also don't quite know if they've confirmed whether season 7 will be the last season or if there will be a season 8, or a movie or something else to end it. I'm genuinely curious if they push for a movie to end the series, I feel like if the movie flows in a similar vein to episodes 9 and 10 of this season they could make it work.

I also agree with most people that the director for episodes 9 and 10 did a fantastic job, he also directed episode 8 (hardhome) from season 5 as well. I hope this guy gets some serious credit and people give him some other awesome projects to work on.

I definitely feel that this season has catered very much to fan desires and questions. The whole season felt much more "hollywood" than R.R. Martin who tends f**k us and leave us out to dry. I predicted far too much in this season than I would like in this season because they used many typical hollywood style show pieces. Overall I feel that they've advanced the entire story a lot and it was all very enjoyable but at the cost of less originality that GoT was so well known for. That is my biggest disappoint. 8/10 (relative to other seasons).

I think many of the bookreaders feel very similarly to you Richard. I also think this is a byproduct of not having the books to work off of. The showrunners no longer have 900+ pages of source material to mine and look to for character perspectives. They have the very broad strokes of the characters, roughly where they "need to go" and how many of them end up. I think a product of this will be two almost entirely different third acts between the show and the books, while the end result for the vast majority of the major characters will be the same.

I also think that at this point many of the characters have too much plot armor to be killed off, except maybe as some penultimate noble sacrifice or something. We didn't see a single major death

I should clarify I rule major characters as point of view characters in the books, Marjory and Tommen don't count

this season, and even Jon's death from last season felt very hollow.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Yea, they found a good spot last night, where you had some slower sections with Jon & Kelly C or Sansa but some of the bigger battles were limited to a couple of intro shots, one action shot of Greyworm wrecking shop and people stacking bodies.  In terms of progress it moved rather quick in only a handful of short scenes but still grounded itself with some solid dialogue like you mentioned.  I'd like to see them stick to 1 or 2 major battle sequences a season, I think we may end up with 3 major ones this season though. 

Tonight's episode I think was what I hoped it would be; a lot like last week's with a good pace, some action, some pauses for dialog or a somber scene, then we are back to moving along.

Spoiler

"I think she has a good heart."

"A good heart? I've noticed you staring at her good heart."

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Spoiler

I found last night's episode to be basically a massive fan service episode. Lots of comedy. Loose ends being tied up. Friends being reunited. Relationships being confirmed. Almost all major and secondary characters represented. 

....but why?

SOME PEOPLE GOING TO DIE NEXT EPISODE

Spoiler

The writing quality of the show took a noticeable downturn after they ran out of book material.  The show has had to simplify certain plot-lines, and even with that simplification the cast is goddamn huge.  So as the final season has basically put all the characters in the same spot before a major battle of course they're going to try and wrap up as many threads as quickly as possible, I mean they even had a cameo for Ghost.  If George R.R. Martin actually manages to finish the book series before he dies, I expect these various sideplots and characters will be resolved over a longer period of time rather than this ham-handed "last night on earth" the show did. 

But even though episode 2 lacked any subtlety, I still liked the episode and the fan service.  I also expect a fair number of characters to end up dying next episode.  The director for next episode is the same one that directed both "Hardhome" and "The Battle of the Bastards" so I'm looking forward to it. 

Regarding S03 E08

Spoiler

Personally I enjoyed the episode for the most part. Most of the things I did not particularly like I think have pretty reasonable explanations.

I did expect more major characters to die. Plot armor was pretty thick however now that they are mostly clumped up in one location it's much easier to just keep a character on. Some of these characters had a lot of time invested in their individual story. There are still a few opportunities to kill some off.

I would not have minded seeing a bit more traditional military tactics. I don't think it would have made much difference considering the opponent but it would have felt a bit better than, for example, rushing in to the horde on horseback.