kuhla

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Starting to eyeball that tax return wondering if I should start investing in a home gym at the house since this shut down is likely to extend more than just two more weeks.

1. https://www.fringesport.com (because Rogue is cool but Rogue is $$$$)
  2. https://www.titan.fitness (because Rogue is cool but Rogue is $$$$)
  3. https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=bumper plate&sort=rel

Even if I decided to pull the trigger a lot of stuff is out of stock 🙁

On 3/27/2020 at 9:24 AM, kuhla said:

Starting to eyeball that tax return wondering if I should start investing in a home gym at the house since this shut down is likely to extend more than just two more weeks.

1. https://www.fringesport.com (because Rogue is cool but Rogue is $$$$)
  2. https://www.titan.fitness (because Rogue is cool but Rogue is $$$$)
  3. https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=bumper plate&sort=rel

Even if I decided to pull the trigger a lot of stuff is out of stock 🙁

It is frustrating. I would be investing in a home gym right now IF STUFF WAS IN STOCK. The only things left right now in stock are the very expensive items (3x the cost). By the time stuff will probably start coming back into regular stock, I would be worried that the end of the lockdown is right around the corner.

• 4 weeks later...

1 hour ago, T1no said:

im gonna buy some vitamins and suplements today. can you share me some tldr. i know andreus shared some vitamins links while ago but i dont remember. is it labdoor.com ?

There are a lot of shitty-made-in-some-dudes-garage supplement companies out there (it's 100% legal) so I usually use http://www.labdoor.com to check on brands to see if they are worth some "trust" or not and not some heavy metal chinese flour in a capsule.

Most of what I take right now comes from Life Extension and NOW Foods. When I buy supplements on Amazon I only do "shipped and sold by Amazon" items. I just don't have enough trust in 3rd party resellers in the Amazon marketplace when it comes to stuff like that. When that is not possible I buy stuff in-store.

• 1 month later...

No one else may care about this but there is some big drama in the fitness world.

Crossfit is dying.

The CEO, who has already been a problem for a while now, has publicly said some incredibly stupid things over the last few days. There are plenty of articles and videos that give more of the specific details.

So what is happening now:

1. 900+ gyms have de-affiliated so they will no longer be paying for the permission to use the brand name (so they will have to change names).
  2. Many trainers (in many cases working in the gyms above) will not be renewing their certifications.
  3. Reebok dropped their sponsorship.
  4. Rogue dropped their sponsorship.
  5. A number of smaller companies have also dropped their sponsorship.
  6. Many of the top famous Crossfit athletes have publicly stated they are leaving the brand.
  7. The current CEO (Greg Glassman) has stated he will leave his position.

So now everyone is wondering what will fill the space left behind. Rogue and Reebok have already announced a partnership and Rogue has been heavily involved in the competition scene so they might replace the Crossfit Games with something.

• 4 months later...

I saw this video many many years ago and was recently reminded of it so I decided to go re-watch it. It has aged really well. The diet plan he lays out is still affordable and really solid in my opinion and in many ways still aligns with what I do. While bodybuilding and bodybuilders are not the goal for many people (myself included) when it comes to obsessing about diet they are some of the most strict so the pros often have interesting ideas and Centopani is one of the more level-headed ones.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2018 at 1:15 PM, kuhla said:

So starting in 2020 all Army soldiers are going to be taking a new physical fitness test.

article - https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/07/09/army-will-require-all-soldiers-take-new-combat-fitness-test-2020.html

Interesting.

PDF link - https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/ARN30714-FM_7-22-000-WEB-1.pdf

The Army has now published a long document (200+ pages) that outlines their updated fitness guidelines and it's basically a giant "catching up with the times". Basically updates just about everything to bring it inline with a lot of what modern athletes are already doing. Squats, deadlifts, bench press and other free weight movements are considered core exercises, sleep is described as an essential tool recovery, they discuss periodization (the idea of exercise phases that stretch over a period of time), long section on nutrition, etc. I have not read it all but what I have seen looks like good stuff and I hope they can fully implement it without pushback from old-timers.

• 5 months later...

article - https://www.politico.eu/article/no-more-babies-expert-warns-that-hormone-altering-chemicals-threaten-human-procreation/

Four years ago, she calculated that the sperm count of the average man in Western countries had fallen by 59 percent from 1973 to 2011— making international headlines of a looming “spermageddon.”

Now Swan, an epidemiologist at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York, paints an even grimmer picture in her book "Count Down," which was published in February. 

Following current projections, sperm counts of the median man are set to reach zero in 2045, Swan and co-author Stacey Colino, a health and science journalist, write in the book. That means half of all men would have zero viable sperm and the rest would have very close to zero.

A brighter future ahead (/s).

Plenty more pieces of information in the article but that is the one quoted above is the bomb and no it cannot all be blamed on lifestyle choices (although that matters too).

6 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

I'm sure obiesity has a huge impact on that....

The epidemiologist in the article I linked is focusing on chemicals (i.e. plastics) that are disrupting hormones as a major issue but that is mentioned in that article and it has been studied separately and confirmed many times before (example).

Going on that tangent for a moment, even beyond just the fertility angle, there is more and more mounting evidence that epigenetics (what are they) are possibly very influential. With the information currently available, it would seem to encourage for couples trying to have kids to try and be as healthy as possible (physically and mentally) because it could influence the gene expression in their kid(s).

I feel that there's a general pushback against chemicals some of which is deserved and some of which is going overboard. I am against chemicals as much as reasonable but I think there are many zealous folks in the research and nutrition community who go overboard on the anti-chemical approach. Chemicals have their purpose and as long as the risks, and associated due diligence/use is applied I think they are a net good. 

I'm not a believer of EVERYTHING MUST be natural because if that was the case we'd be living back in the stone age and dying at 30/40. There are benefits and there are detractions.

The no more babies thing is a scare mongering tactic to blame things like plastic chemicals which IMO is unfair and creates hysteria that leads to things like an anti-vax movement.

I have witnessed it personally and it is unfortunate that the incredibly generic label "chemicals" is another magical catch-all term used by the anti-science groups (which includes the anti-vax people) against anything they do not like.

I am the last person that needs to be convinced that there are plenty of anti-science and anecdotal-results-only people in the health/fitness/nutrition community.

Because of how integral plastics and chemicals are in our modern lives I do not think any reasonable person is advocating for their entire removal or even a significant reduction (if such a think is even possible anymore?)

That being said, dismissing it wholesale or just blanket minimizing it all as "net good" is a mistake and I feel even starts to be anti-science in its own way. Just focusing on health (because the environmental side is a whole topic all on its own), there is more than a little published research highlighting some real concerns with chemicals (which usually seems to mean plastic byproducts).

I am not really familiar with the author of the book described in that news article, although I did see she has some real credentials and seems to have co-authored published articles on the topic, but some of the suggestions made (below) are not exactly radical.

article again - https://www.politico.eu/article/no-more-babies-expert-warns-that-hormone-altering-chemicals-threaten-human-procreation/

Swan recommends purging harmful chemicals from our homes by ditching processed food, choosing personal care products that are phthalate-free and swapping plastic food storage containers for glass ones. 

But ultimately “it’s not something that we can shop our way out of,” said Swan, adding that we need to have “different chemicals in the products that we buy and that’s a job of the government and the chemicals industry.”

“There's just much, much better regulation in the EU,” Swan said of the EU’s REACH regulatory system that puts the burden on industry to prove that chemicals are not harmful to human health and the environment before they can be put on the market. “In the U.S. we still are in the dark ages of putting chemicals out exposing people and seeing if they cause harm.”

• 1 month later...

"Joint association between accelerometry-measured daily combination of time spent in physical activity, sedentary behaviour and sleep and all-cause mortality: a pooled analysis of six prospective cohorts using compositional analysis"

study - https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2021/05/09/bjsports-2020-102345

There was a media article to go with this but I'm not going to link it because I feel like it was a bit misleading so I went and read some of the study myself.

TLDR: Physical inactivity is bad for your health in many ways. A lot of people are not regularly physically active. A lot of people spend a lot of time sitting ("sedentary behaviour (SB)"). There have been general guidelines that 30 minutes of light physical activity every day is the minimum for most people. However for people who are sitting/sedentary a lot (10+ hours per day) this is not enough and they will have to either increase the amount of time spent doing light physical activity and/or they have to increase the intensity.

Not exactly shocking results. Another study on top of the mountain of evidence about exercise and health stretching back many years. Everyone needs to be exercising regularly. If you are not exercising regularly you are taking risks with your health. Exercise does not mean going to the gym (but it's not a bad idea). Exercise does not require push ups (but it's not a bad idea). It is a lot more flexible than most people realize but you will probably have to breath a little harder and sometimes get a little sweaty.

• 1 month later...

"No Time to Lift? Designing Time-Efficient Training Programs for Strength and Hypertrophy: A Narrative Review"

study link - https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40279-021-01490-1

Lack of time is among the more commonly reported barriers for abstention from exercise programs. The aim of this review was to determine how strength training can be most effectively carried out in a time-efficient manner by critically evaluating research....

Does not address conditioning or cardiovascular health but always see to see some guidance in an official format from researchers.

• 1 month later...

source - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34385400/

source 2 - https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/924766

Daily energy expenditure through the human life course

Abstract

Total daily energy expenditure ("total expenditure") reflects daily energy needs and is a critical variable in human health and physiology, but its trajectory over the life course is poorly studied. We analyzed a large, diverse database of total expenditure measured by the doubly labeled water method for males and females aged 8 days to 95 years. Total expenditure increased with fat-free mass in a power-law manner, with four distinct life stages. Fat-free mass-adjusted expenditure accelerates rapidly in neonates to ~50% above adult values at ~1 year; declines slowly to adult levels by ~20 years; remains stable in adulthood (20 to 60 years), even during pregnancy; then declines in older adults. These changes shed light on human development and aging and should help shape nutrition and health strategies across the life span.

Huge age range. Huge number of participants (6000+). "Oh when you hit 30-35-40-my age your metabolism just slows way down and the fat just starts coming on". Always sounds suspiciously like just an excuse.

Everybody should be exercising regularly. Everybody should be mindful of the quantity and quality of what they are eating. Apparently even pregnant women.

Shitty zoomed pic someone pulled from behind the paywall:

TEE = total energy expenditure

image.png

Compared to the relationship with TEE and fat-free mass and how that changes over age? The differences 20-60 look very small to me and seems to be the conclusion of the researches too (from the abstract, wish I could access the whole paper).

12 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

This has bothered me for a long time in how misleading foods are even health foods. Eating some keto cereal right now and suggested serving size is a 1/3rd of a cup. Are you serious? A 1/3rd of a cup is insanely small. I'm probably eating a LEAST 1 cup in size.

https://www.eatthis.com/sneaky-serving-sizes/

Oh yeah. I think many food companies have been trying to use that trick for quite a long time now. I find it especially bad with drinks.

I'm actively working on changing my diet again to improve my health/fitness goals and trying to get back into the mentality of changing my diet. Found this advice on reddit.

You can also get some “tough love” advice from Coach Dan John’s article Eat Like a Warrior King:

Someone recently asked me about “the secret to nutrition.” Seriously, you don’t know what to do about food? Here’s an idea: eat like an adult.

Stop eating fast food, stop eating kid’s cereal, knock it off with all the sweets and comfort foods, and ease up on the snacking. And don’t act like you don’t know this: eat more vegetables and fruits.

Really, how difficult is this? Stop with the whining. Stop with the excuses. Act like an adult and stop eating like a television commercial. Grow up.

It reminds me of what they tell students at top universities: “Look to your right. Now, look to your left. Every person around you was a straight-A student in high school, class president, and valedictorian. Get over it.”

Every success in your life doesn’t call for several extra rounds of beer, a salutary doughnut, and high fives from everyone. You’re an adult now; you don’t need a cookie every time you do something special.

Great athletes score a touchdown, goal, or point and just keep moving along. It’s your job, so get over it. So, if you want to look good in the future, you have to start looking at food like, well, food and not a reward.

Step one to the kingly approach to eating is to have a long-term focus. We all know that vegetables, lean protein, and fresh water are probably the best choices meal-in and meal-out the rest of your life. If you hover around those choices for the bulk of your meals, you’ll be fine. You know this. Do this.

Seems like pretty good advice generally speaking.

A lot of people with "simple" goals overthink diets/nutrition no matter whether it's for weight loss/gain or just health in general.

I recently had an experience where someone was telling me she had gained 30 lb last year and really wanted to lose it again. She said this to me while popping M&Ms in her mouth. I just nodded. The problem and answer was right in front of her but she did not want to see it.

On 9/2/2021 at 8:44 PM, kuhla said:

Seems like pretty good advice generally speaking.

A lot of people with "simple" goals overthink diets/nutrition no matter whether it's for weight loss/gain or just health in general.

I recently had an experience where someone was telling me she had gained 30 lb last year and really wanted to lose it again. She said this to me while popping M&Ms in her mouth. I just nodded. The problem and answer was right in front of her but she did not want to see it.

Did you mention it to her?

1 hour ago, Jedi2155 said:

Did you mention it to her?

No. I have learned the hard way that most people do not want to have a "real" conversation about health/fitness/diet and would much rather just complain about it. I still feel strongly enough about those issues that I will still make broad statements(*) when the opportunities present but I just have no desire anymore to really engage anyone about their specific issues/goals.

* I generally try to stick to statements that can be backed up with published research.