Tactically Inept

Indonesia (sea) Trip 2019

T1no

My goal obviously its for Kelvin wedding.

Location Jakarta, west Java

May 4th

disclaimer: Im not inviting you guys to the wedding because its not my wedding :P

just lay-in down some ideas and maybe get some opportunities to invite any of you guys who wants to come down to south east Asia region for adventures.

Jakarta: metropolitan Eat sleep play, and stuck in traffic (recommend 2-3 days)

Bali: its a tourist island (5-7 days)

Lombok: its a tourist island (never been but its booming)

Singapore: Same like Jakarta but much more in order (recommend 2-4 days)

Japan: this is what we are considering if Bali doesn't happen. since we did visit Bali this year (might be on the expensive side but its NIPPON) (recommend 5-7 days)

i think last time i talk to you guys might be interested for Bali *bagus*, just putting this out that way i can plan around kelvin wedding and i think the sooner we book ticket the better. obviously this is 5-6 months away.

17 minutes ago, T1no said:

[...]
disclaimer: Im not inviting you guys to the wedding because its not my wedding :P
[...]

Hey man, your mom and brother invited all the white people to come and experience Indo.  I'm only half serious, I would never want to impose on your family. 

I'd be willing to either completely skip Jakarta, or keep it super short, it's not very appealing to me.  I'm definitely interested in Bali or trying out Lombok.  I'd be a little concerned trying to fit everything in and going to Singapore or Japan on top of it. 
Selfishly, I'd like to do some scuba over there, but I know that might not work with everyone's schedule. 
Briefly looking at flights is... interesting.  There are some cheap flights there but you're also looking a somewhere between 22 and 30 hours of travel either into China or Taiwan as a layover.  If you want 7 days of vacation you need to plan for 2 full travel days on top of that. 

yeah its one or the other. Bali or Japan. both, it gets expensive.

i usually fly EVA Air because i go to Jakarta. i know EVA Air have straight flight to Bali (Denpasar)

LAX > TPE > DPS

i usually do LAX > TPT > CGK and i buy tickets in Jakarta to fly to Bali.

scuba wise, no not selfish at all i actually want y'all to do it.  no guarantee if its going to be good or not, gotta do your own research where to do it.

i avoid all the china eastern and china airlines flights. done that once and it was meh.

ANA

Singapore Airlines

Cathay Pacific

Eva Airlines

JAL

Philippines Airlines i believe this is new service to Jakarta CGK.

i checked, for May cost around 700-1100 depending on flights.

Obviously you and Kat will be attending your brother's wedding so it's best if you guys decide where you want to go afterwards (if anywhere).  I'm certainly interested in tagging along, but I'd probably want to limit the trip to ~10 days. 
Also depending on how everything works out it might be you attending your brother's wedding and hanging out with family for a few days, and then I catch up to you guys later. 

As far as Scuba, I checked and Bali has good Scuba options, even Lombok has a few options, but they looked a little more involved (going to a smaller island or something). 

As far as airlines are concerned, it's going to suck no matter what I choose.  I don't fit in a standard economy seat, and this would be the longest flight I've ever taken (Europe is ~11 hours). 
The flight costs didn't look super expensive, but I'd also need to get an estimate for hotel and food costs. 
I'm not the guy that needs every day planned out in advance, but I'd probably want a rough idea of what we'd be doing or at least where we'd be sleeping every night. 

I've flown business class once to the UK.  This was a long time ago, but it was the upper level of a 747, all the seats were big leather lazyboy style chairs, and we had a flight attendant who specifically handled our area.  It was very nice, and also very expensive. 

I've paid extra to get extra leg room, like on my last set of flights to Turks & Caicos, most of the time that meant I was in the emergency exit row.  It all depends on cost, on a long flight like this it might be more worth it for me to upgrade. 

I've heard economy deluxe / premium economy isn't really standardized, so you also need to be careful and look up what it means on which airline you fly with. 

• 1 month later...

ok this is what ive got so far

wedding is may 4

rehearsal is may 3

kelvin request for us to arrived preferably before the 2nd

on the email convo he said if you guys want to visit Jakarta you are more than welcome to come to his wedding.

he got few of his friends comes from all over the place and the wedding party is placed @  Ascott Sudirman apartment hotels.

if you are decided to visit Jakarta you can stay @ that hotel. ive checked they are about $100 bucks a night. not exactly the cheapest cause its fancy i think

https://www.the-ascott.com/en/indonesia/jakarta/ascott-sudirman-jakarta/index.html

or alternatively, this is my parents apartment Somerset Berlian

they have hotel room also https://www.somerset.com/en/indonesia/jakarta/somerset-berlian-jakarta/index.html

I will most likely stayed @ my parents place. the rates are about ~70 bucks depending how big the unit

as far as things to do in Jakarta

Food, Mall, Bar , hipster shit, big mosque, and trafuck allova the place. museum...etc....and more FOOD

Jakarta - Bali round trip goes from 80-270 bucks depending on the carrier. buying in Indo potentially be cheaper

Kelvin will be heading out to Bali on the 6th. he also have friends come to Bali. some come earlier and some come later. unfortunately he said hes prob only going to be there for ~3 days and back to work after lol

ideally i would be there around the same time frame. and im essentially aiming the week after his wedding which is May 5-11.

Bali, i think you guys need to do a little bit of your own research on things that you would like to see and experience.

Christian Video is pretty spot on and there are plenty more hidden spots, hikes, waterfall, bar, club,etc .... its too much for me to list but just google and youtube around.

In terms of hotels thats up to you guys if you want to stay in Actual Hotels or we can get some kind of AIrbnb vilas

plenty to pick from https://www.airbnb.com/s/Bali--Indonesia 

this is owned by my Mom Friend where we stayed last time; they have a 4 bedroom Villa not sure how much is the rate i can ask her.

https://mayalokabali.com/villa-seminyak/4-bedroom-villa-seminyak/

ok thats all i got so far.

i'll talk to you guys on mumble or something to get more details and plan going

• 2 weeks later...

booked my flight to Jakarta 4/25 - 5/12

need to buy ticket from jkt > dps morning flight on the AM 5/6

kelvin is planing to stay in Cangu. its new developed area less crowded than Seminyak but its good. located in north kuta.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

did you guys book hotels or air b and b yet? 

sorry, was waiting for kelvin, but this is where we are staying its an air b and b

Jl. Merta Sari No.149A, Kerobokan Kelod, Kuta Utara, Kabupaten Badung, Bali 80361, Indonesia

i would find somewhere close by so its easy to go around if needed together. i can help finding if you need me to.

I will let malaphax respond but there have been some bookings for some of the diving part of the trip but not the entire trip so I think that info will be useful

yes some communication with you would be helpful to fill in some of the other parts of the trip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This shit is coming up im leaving on the 25th next week.

leaving wed night the 24. arriving JKT on the 26th.

arrived May 9 in the morning.

Few things for Bali

Current rate 1 USD = ~14088 IDR 

biggest IDR denominations is 100 000 IDR soo if you exchange 100 dollars you get at least 10 of those. 

gojek its technically banned in Bali but if you want to ride feel free. 

Taxi. always go for blue bird (blue bird group). check for officials stickers i think on the front of the windshield. if you go from the airport to your hotels ask for meter rate ONLY. or maybe request or look maybe your hotels offers pick up from airport Ngurah Rai international airport.

metered taxi just round up your bill for their tip. if your ride cost 27 500 just give him 30 000

Thank You = Terima Kasih

Good morning = Selamat Pagi

Good afternoon = Selamat Siang

Good evening = Selamat Petang

Good night = Selamat Malam

or just speak english.

walking and crossing just common sense. sidewalk is shit just navigate and dont get run over.

Food: 

try to eat from restaurant and cooked food only.

avoid buying drinks from the sketchy street vendors (dirty ice / polluted water) bring diarrhea pills just in case.

restaurant usually added 5-10% service charge soo no need to tip unless the charge is not included then its optional.

water, they give you bottle of mineral water.

Avoid sketchy bar potential mix drink with methanol is there.

4 hours ago, T1no said:

Thank You = Terima Kasih

Good morning = Selamat Pagi

Good afternoon = Selamat Siang

Good evening = Selamat Petang

Good night = Selamat Malam

These were the notes I made:

nama saya --> nama sai-ya --> my name is

Maaf --> ma-af --> sorry

saya minta maaf --> saya min-ta ma-af --> I am sorry

permisi --> per-me-see --> excuse me

makasih banyak ---> makasee baanyak --> thank you very much

sampai jumpa --> sampai jumpa ---> see you

kamu bisa berbahasa inggris? --> kamu beesa berbahasa inggris? --> can you speak english?

ini berapa harganya --> ee-nee berapa harganya --> how much is it?

54 minutes ago, kuhla said:

These were the notes I made:

nama saya --> nama sai-ya --> my name is

Maaf --> ma-af --> sorry

saya minta maaf --> saya min-ta ma-af --> I am sorry

permisi --> per-me-see --> excuse me

makasih banyak ---> makasee baanyak --> thank you very much

sampai jumpa --> sampai jumpa ---> see you

kamu bisa berbahasa inggris? --> kamu beesa berbahasa inggris? --> can you speak english?

ini berapa harganya --> ee-nee berapa harganya --> how much is it?

verygood

makasih banyak technically short and informal of Terima kasih banyak.

depending your activity during the day but honestly you can go as little as ~ $50 to ballin out of control.

i wouldn't carry more than $100 on your wallet + your card for emergency

restaurants and bar you can pay using your credit card.  bring your travel card if you have one to avoid fees or just pay cash.

at some point we need to talk about ride so i can book car accordingly. 

kelvin have cars for the group but i recommend we or you two rent another one so you dont feel attach to us just incase you wanted to checkout something else or leave early or what not.

just a ballpark

a small 7 seater toyota avanza is around ~ 500 000 IDR its about 36 USD

its a 10 hours rate including driver, gas , some parking. you tell them where to go and they take you. overtime is 10% of the daily charge / hour.