Tactically Inept

DDR2 prices @ 4GB as either 4*1GB or 2*2GB

kuhla

I had looked at these prices before but after Richard mentioned it today, I decided to check up on the cost of 4GB of DDR2 again (either as 4*1GB or 2*2GB).

LINK --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....lue=525%3A28354

The above link filters for: Cas Latency[2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ], Type[240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM ], Capacity[4GB (2 x 2GB), 4GB(4 x 1GB) ], Speed[DDR2 800-1300], Product Type [OEM] [Retail]

The lowest one available is G.SKILL 4*1GB DDR2-800 for $139.99 :o They are model # F2-6400CL5Q-4GBNQ which I don't think uses Micron D9 chips (great overclocking chips) but I may be wrong. Either way thats really cheap imho for 4GB of DDR800.

I don't think 4x1 GB sticks @ $140 is a great price mainly due to the fact that you can commonly get corsair and others for $55 for 2 GB so $110 for both although thats with rebate.

Although despite what I say, these are all great prices, its just not best prices. They're great if you need things in a hurry and don't want to do any additional research. Thats all I'm trying to say.

Hmm.....

Ok, so first I looked at individual 1GB sticks which would have to be $35 or cheaper to match the $140 deal. I found 8 sticks with the same-or-better specs in that price range. The cheapest was Transcend's 1GB stick at $29, making 4GB = $116.

Link to search --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....alue=525%3A7867

Second, I looked at 2GB sticks and 2*1GB sets which would have to be $70 or cheaper to match the $140 deal. I found 10 sets with the same-or-better specs in that price range. The cheapest was GeIL's 2*1GB at $48 after rebat, making it = $96 for 4GB.

Link to search --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....alue=525%3A7867

So yea, I guess you can get 4GB for less than I posted/thought, but still.... I would feel wierd running lots of unmatched sticks.... oh well, it's not like I'm updating my system anytime real soon so it doesn't really matter to me. Hell, by the time I upgrade hopefully DDR3 prices will have dropped a bit.

should i get this or 2x2gig?

Realistically it doesn't matter if you go 2*2GB or 4*1GB. For your needs, just go with whatever is cheapest. If you go with a micro-ATX board in the future though (like nigels), you may be limited to 2 DIMM slots which would mean you would have to go 2*2GB.

2x2 GB would only realy be necessary if you want 6 or 8 GB. Which probably won't be realize untiil the end of the lifetime of the board IMO.

Typically it seems we double the required amount of ram every 18-30 months. So unless you're going to be running the same board for MORE than the next 2 years, go with the cheaper set, and probably faster. There aren't many high performance 2x2 GB sets right now for cheap (if any).

I don't believe in the matched sticks hype. And neither does Maximum PC. They tested it years ago (when companies first started selling matched sticks) and for the most part, it wasn't a big deal. I'd just make sure i'll get the same brand/model sticks (and preferably batch which is usually accomplished by buying it at the same time).

Tino's definitely not afraid of unmatched sticks as he use to run 2.5 GB (2x1 and 1x512) so I don't think thats an issue.