Tactically Inept

computer is dying what do?

ren

WHAT DO?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. fix desktop or build new computer

• fix desktop + save money for ps3
    • rebuild new desktop

my computer has been giving me problems and there are a few components that i know i need to replace / are broken.

its not enough that i need to rebuild but it is pretty dated.

not sure what would be the better choice.

i will fix it up either way, but if i just fix it and don't completely rebuild i might use the money i save for a ps3

if not i will just do a complete rebuild.

There are no new/upcoming video games for pc coming for the rest of this year and not even really into Q2 next year. So "upgrading" doesn't make a huge amount of sense for the near future.

The PS3 does however have a good set of available titles not to mention your beloved super street fighter 4.

All of that being said I would recommend getting an exact list of what needs "replacing" and what you would plan on "rebuilding" and tally up the total costs of those to get some semblance of which is more expensive.

Doing a totally new build right now I think would be a bad idea because new stuff (GPUs) have just come out so prices need to settle on those and new stuff is coming soong (CPUs) which should shake things up a bit. Anything you buy now will not be a good long term investment.

The PS3 is not changing anytime soon. If you think you can properly fix the computer problems then I would go with that.

Your restarts/bluescreens could be the ram, but it sounded like either your cpu or gpu was giving you trouble. It doesn't sounds like too much in terms of spending, although if you go crazy on a case it might be. If you only have to replace what you've mentioned you should still be able to buy a ps3 and some games.

the case has been broken for a long long time

my bsods are due to heat issues, fixing the case would solve this

problems with the case - the 200mm fan is broken, and its a proprietary fan so i need a replacement straight from cooler master or replace the case

the power button/reset buttons are touch sensitive and broke literally in the first week. again i need a replacement straight from CM or replace the case

i don't have spare cases laying around of this quality, and i very much do like the cosmos s despite aforementioned defects.

i have plenty of spare fans i just need to install them, after i replace the case.

i dont remember what sink im using but i'd probably buy a new one if i wanted to rebuild a new computer.

Cooler master fans are here:

http://www.svc.com/200mmfans.html

I have a Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Edition...brand new, but that wouldn't solve your issues. Although current case would, but I was going to sell it to a coworker for around 50-60 bucks already, although he can always wait for the next one as I still attend those focus groups.

i was just high or something, i thought you linked to the nzxt fan

i also just noticed my cpu fan died and i have no idea when

and my last stick of the original batch of crucial memory just died

and holy shit 30 dollars for a fan? what the hell?

is there any way to get cooler master to ship me a replacement for cheaper

how long is warranty on cosmos s