Tactically Inept

Hosting Upgrade

Jedi2155

Just got the following E-mail to 1&1:

We are pleased to inform you that 1&1 is performing a comprehensive upgrade of its Linux hosting platform as a continuous effort to provide you, our valued customers, with a robust hosting infrastructure. To offer you even more superior security and performance, we will be upgrading to Debian/Linux 4.0 (code name Etch), a highly stable version of Linux.

What's more, the platform upgrade, which is handled by our seasoned in-house developers, ensures that your applications continue to run trouble-free, while achieving high performance. You benefit from our proven and practical approach.

Please be aware that the migration of your hosting platform of the contract(s) listed below to the new environment will be performed early March 07, 2008 between 12 am EST and 6 am EST. At some point during this period, your website / server will be temporarily unavailable for approx. 15 minutes. This migration has been planned to take place around midnight in order to avoid undermining your site's services.

The following package(s) will be affected by this upgrade:

Contract ID: ********

Enhancements with the Upgrade

Following the platform upgrade, newer versions of supported scripting and programming languages will be made available ? Perl, Python and Ruby. Your old scripts will continue to run properly as they are downward and upward compatible. However, you will be able to use the new functionalities available in the latest versions of the programming and scripting languages. Click on the scripting languages for more information about the new functionalities.

* Perl Version 5.8.8

* Python Version 2.4.4

* Python Version 2.5

* Ruby Version 1.8.5

Python is available in both versions 2.4.4 and 2.5 because Debian requires some features of Python 2.4. If you have the web development scripts PHP4 or PHP5, these scripts will continue to function without any tweaking or configuration required after the upgrade. Furthermore, MySQL Database 4 and 5 will also continue to run, needing no actions on your part.

Sincerely,

Your 1&1 Internet Team

1and1.com

Well, the contract ends...I don't know when. But I say someone else handles it. I'm done with this admin buisness, someone else makes the rules. Just make sure its around $85/year for a 20-25 slot as current prices are 25 slot is $84/year

*edit*

looks like Oct. 12th

Oct 12, 2007 All Paid ($83.99) Ventrilo - 20 Slots Completed

Oct 12, 2006 All Paid ($72.00) Ventrilo - 20 Slots Completed

I'm keeping the web-hosting as I need it for my own purposes. I don't see why you need complete control for web hosting...mainly because you have access to everything already.

I don't want to lose my domain and files mainly due to the fact that I have pics linked all over web.

• 4 months later...

Hey guys.... i have a vent me, my brother and his friends use. its a 45 slot. and it never has more than 10 guys in it.

la1.ugt-servers.com

if you want i will make you all user names. and give one of you admin.

• 8 months later...

So our forum was down for a while yesterday and I discovered the reason was due to a overloaded database (150 MB out of 100 MB allocated).

118 MB of was due to search spider logs.....so now our forum is back to a tidy 25 MB/100 (19 MB is pure post data).

haha... that's awesome....

• 1 year later...
Guest adamikuno

I have a question and am pretty much a noob when it comes to this stuff. If I have an already existing domain name, is it possible to have it hosted by you guys? The current domain is hosted by someone else but I am looking to move it.

I currently use your hosting for a different domain, but I had you guys register it for me last year. I am just a little curious how to use your hosting for this other domain.

My next question would probably be, since I already have the Pro hosting plan, could I just add the domain Im looking to move onto it? Or do I have to sign up for another hosting plan?

Thanks.

First off I'd be willing to bet it is a bot. No one other than us and bots have been posting in this thread. He also mentions this "I had you guys register it for me last year" which would be news to me . Secondly I'm not ok with hosting some random person's stuff on our server.

• 5 months later...

Hosting bill is out....we're also currently paying $7 a month for a lot of features we do not use. We could pay $3/month and still not have any change in service except lose 1 domain. Also new databases are 1 GB in size and php5 versus our current one is php4 @ 100 MB. Although we hit database issues in the past, it was due mostly to bots and spammers playing havoc with the logs. We currently sitting tidy at a mere 34 MB of usage so that will not likely jump up anytime soon. If anyone else has time to deal with this, I don't really want to waste my time managing the forum.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So our Dec. bill will be coming soon, and I just wanted to make clear that I do not want to keep paying for shitty service. That will be the last bill I pay for them, and at that point I am planning on canceling 1and1. I want to make it a deadline to have the forum swapped over by the end of the year, otherwise, I'm just going to have create a whole new forum which should not take more than a few hours of my time.

If you guys disagree with this, you are welcome to take full control of hosting.

So our Dec. bill will be coming soon, and I just wanted to make clear that I do not want to keep paying for shitty service. That will be the last bill I pay for them, and at that point I am planning on canceling 1and1. I want to make it a deadline to have the forum swapped over by the end of the year, otherwise, I'm just going to have create a whole new forum which should not take more than a few hours of my time.

If you guys disagree with this, you are welcome to take full control of hosting.

When exactly does the bill come in? Don't pay it. Let the hosting expire. I technically have hosting right now, paid, ready to go. If we just need a place to crash temporarily until I have more time then that's fine, I can set that up fine. I have at most 2 more weeks of school then I have zero obligations to stop me from working full time on getting the conversion done.

What do you mean don't pay it? I don't think that's an option as

#1 Its auto pay and I cannot remove my CC info without replacing it with another one.

#2 Even if I could, I don't want to risk anything bad items on my records (whether it affects my credit score or not I'm afraid it might get recorded somewhere).

For additional information:

Our last December bill occured on 12/16/2011 so I expect the new one to up within a week. There are options for moving our domain names to a new provider, so we should do that now before its the end of contract, because otherwise we may lose our domain names.

I'm sure there's a way to cancel service, even with vent/mumble hosting it's auto pay but you can cancel and as soon as your plan runs out you just lose hosting with them. I imagine it works the same way. However since it's going to transition on the 16th it might have been pertinent to let kuhla know of that a little bit ahead of time.

If you guys need any help I'm a bit more free now on break and I'm happy to help out in any ways I can.

There is plenty of ways on the system to cancel service on that date the contract ends. The thing is, our contract ends on that date, so unless we argue otherwise, we'll be paying for another 6 months (Although I'm sure we'll can get prorated if we cancel after that), its just more convenient if we don't.

I don't know what you mean about letting kuhla know a little bit ahead of time. He should know that its been billed in 6 month cycles, and I am already giving him a week to remind him that it is coming.

I should probably have worded it better: Cancel hosting with 1&1. Let it run out/quit when it tries to rollover.

I already have a request for domain transfer with new hosting. They just need a call to 1&1 to release the domain from its current owner (1&1). I didn't take care of it because I just didn't get around to it but it's ready to go as soon as it is released.

I'll do another database backup of current hosting in the next day or so.

This afternoon I will try to:

(1) Grab a sql backup. Anything posted after that point won't get transferred.

(2) Get the domain transferred and put up a temporary redirect/error page up.

This weekend I will try to: Set up a temp forum, probably just one section, and anonymous posting. I don't want to worry about accounts/activation, etc.

Later this month (next week is finals week so after that I start): I will make the actual transfer.