Cell Phones & Service

kuhla

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I looked into this last night as well. It's only tmobile. Technically the femtocells at sprint do it, but it's not true wifi calling. Only tmobile is capable of that. Unfortunately if you wanted that feature you have only 1 carrier to chose from. While tmobile is certainly not a bad carrier, you have to decide if that's worth it. With your current situation it might be a decent reason to go for tmobile though, especially since you get no reception where you work. However I might suggest looking into what carriers get reception in your work, because if someone like sprint does, the femtocell option might be reasonable as well. Although you'd have to do some more bullshitting with sprint customer service to get a airwave and have them not charge you extra per month for it.

i know sprint does it but you need a device @ home so you can call using your wifi connection

That is femtocell. I'm not talking about femtocell.

I looked into this last night as well. It's only tmobile. Technically the femtocells at sprint do it, but it's not true wifi calling. Only tmobile is capable of that. Unfortunately if you wanted that feature you have only 1 carrier to chose from. While tmobile is certainly not a bad carrier, you have to decide if that's worth it. With your current situation it might be a decent reason to go for tmobile though, especially since you get no reception where you work. However I might suggest looking into what carriers get reception in your work, because if someone like sprint does, the femtocell option might be reasonable as well. Although you'd have to do some more bullshitting with sprint customer service to get a airwave and have them not charge you extra per month for it.

Half my shifts are in a basement lab. Nobody gets reception there. The other half of my shifts get really spotty reception. I've talked to my coworkers that have different cell providers to verify this already.

Well you have to figure out if it's worth it to swap then. You will be going to school for a while longer certainly, if it's worth it to have reception in school and the areas you work then it might be ok to go for a 2 year plan with tmobile. Not to mention reception at your house, although to be fair, your internet has issues as well (when are you switching to cable). It certainly might make sense for you and your mom. But if AT&T takes over tmobile then that system will almost certainly die. But considering that won't happen for probably a year or more, you'd be safe enough.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

soo lately ive been going crazy with my phone bandwidth usage.

ive use

5,117,266KB / Unlimited

3,360KB / Unlimited (roaming)

mostly netflix and podcast.

and i think they throttle my speed because i cant stream any more since yesterday LOL. this is crap, im gonna try again tomorrow and see what happen.

soo lately ive been going crazy with my phone bandwidth usage.

ive use

5,117,266KB / Unlimited

3,360KB / Unlimited (roaming)

mostly netflix and podcast.

and i think they throttle my speed because i cant stream any more since yesterday LOL. this is crap, im gonna try again tomorrow and see what happen.

Posted Image

wtf.... how much stuff are you watching I can't even comprehend....

T-Mobile changed their plans a bit. Reduced prices a little.

Posted Image

$90 a month? The base talk plan cost $10 less than before (which used to bring it to $100 a month). Sounds good to me. I'm going to push my mom on this one.

T-Mobile changed their plans a bit. Reduced prices a little.

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/862/unledztt.jpg

$90 a month? The base talk plan cost $10 less than before (which used to bring it to $100 a month). Sounds good to me. I'm going to push my mom on this one.

EVERYTHING went back up in price?! What the fuck. Seriously. The family plan is back up to $100 a month and the phone went back up to $100.

http://phandroid.com/2011/05/27/amazon-tak...be-free-monday/

jump on the deal

most likely a bunch from tmobile and sprint maybe ?

I'm looking everywhere for this deal and can't find it.

EDIT: Checked a few sources and....

Update: It looks like we may have been swindled. Memorial Day has come, and we can’t seem to find the deals anywhere. We generally fact check each post to an excruciating degree — somehow, this one managed to slip through the cracks. Our apologies to anyone who was mislead.

source - http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/09/virgin-...brings-froyo-t/

Motorola Triumph coming to Virgin Mobile USA

KEY FEATURES:

? 5MP back-facing camera and VGA front-facing camera

? HD video capture and playback in 720p, both on device or over HDMI

? Massive 4.1" display (800x480 WVGA) and ultra-thin at .0.4"

? 1400 mAh battery

? 512MB RAM with 2GB ROM and SD card slot for extended

? Froyo (Android 2.2) with Flash support for enhanced browsing

(download from Android Market)

? Soft touch design for comfort in hand

SPECIFICATIONS:

? Software Platform: Android - Froyo

? Messaging/web/apps: MMS, SMS, email

? Camera: 5MP AF with flash, VGA front facing

? Video: 30 fps @ 720 p decode

30 fps @ 720 p 14 Mbps encode

? Connectivity: microUSB, 3.5mm , HDMI port

? Browser: Android Webkit Browser

? Bluetooth: BT V2.1 + EDR

? Memory: 512MB RAM/ 2GB ROM, uSD Slot

? Location Services: aGPS

? Form Factor: Tablet

? Experience Category: Media Centric

? Baseband: Qualcomm MSM8655

? Weight: 143g

? Dimensions: 4.8" x 2.5" x 0.4"Display: 4.1" 800 x 480 WVGA

? Battery: 1400 mAh

? Bands/Modes: CDMA 1900 MHz EVDO RevA, 802.11 b/g/n

I would prefer to avoid Motorola but that phone meets my minimum requirements and it's coming to Virgin Mobile USA which means super affordable monthly plan. Unless something else crazy happens I can see this happening.

I know my mom wants unlimited data but I'm wondering if even if she streams video for a few minutes each day if she could hit 2GB in a month so I took that into account. Tino used 5GB in a month with some VERY heavy usage. If you think that's inaccurate (my mom 2 GB a month some limited daily video streaming of only a few minutes) please let me know about your own data usage habits. AT&T and T-Mobile ramp up the price fast after 2GB and they don't offer unlimited anyways. Left to right you should be able to figure out the pic below. The phones I picked are just placeholders. Mainly just trying to compare monthly costs.

Posted Image

looloolol 5 gb was extreme!!!!!!!!!!!

i think she would be ok with 250mb

im looking @ my useage for this month

i clock in @ 2.5 gig cause netflix is unusable @ 2.3 gingerbread but i ussually clock in @ 4-5 LOL

my mom clock in @ 50kb (blackberry)

my brother just shy above half a gig.

you should just let her fly with 250 and monitor her usage and if its unnecessary raise it to 2gb. (att)