Games and Gaming News

Malaphax

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Star Wars: Battlefront beta coming in October. At least 3 modes: 40 player walker assault on Hoth, 2 player co-op vs ai survival mission, and a third undetailed mode - Drop Zone.

They also talk about some stuff like a companion app and a collectible card game or some crap that I have no current interest in.

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/star-wars-battlefront-beta-announce

I fully expect them to have 1 weekend with the beta open to all that pre-order and a second weekend that's completely open. I believe that's what the last 2 battlefield games have done.

Star Wars: Battlefront beta coming in October. At least 3 modes: 40 player walker assault on Hoth, 2 player co-op vs ai survival mission, and a third undetailed mode - Drop Zone.

They also talk about some stuff like a companion app and a collectible card game or some crap that I have no current interest in.

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/star-wars-battlefront-beta-announce

I fully expect them to have 1 weekend with the beta open to all that pre-order and a second weekend that's completely open. I believe that's what the last 2 battlefield games have done.

source - https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/3j86i2/happy_to_confirm_our_star_wars_battlefront_beta/cun65y6?context=3

Star Wars Battlefront will not offer a server browser, but will utilize a new skill based matchmaking system.

Lame.

In reply to Kuhla:

I have no idea how they plan on handling this, I've heard rumors on both sides that battlefront was or was not going to use battlelog. Until I see a complete lack of server browser I can't really take it seriously.

Also if we want to get technical, Titanfall went with a lack of server browser. Personally I think it cheapened the experience, but I will admit it was at least somewhat competent at handling matchmaking.

I'm sad that no one has the balls to build a true 3d space RTS. I guess the homeworld series stands alone.

EDIT: The Battletech game from harebrained studios is going up on kickstarter at the end of September. It will be turn based set in 3025 (no clans) and one of their stretch goals is to add multiplayer support on the Arena Planet - Solaris VII

EDIT: The Battletech game from harebrained studios is going up on kickstarter at the end of September. It will be turn based set in 3025 (no clans) and one of their stretch goals is to add multiplayer support on the Arena Planet - Solaris VII

I'm actually OK with it being pre-invasion. It's not like they have a shortage of conflicts to choose from or that the catalog of mechs is somehow too small. There will be less variety of weapons but they will be more distinct.

I'm sure there will be more info posted when the kickstarter goes live but here's an interview where they heavily discuss some of their plans.

Highlights include:

4 man lances make up your mercenary company.

How well you perform on missions determines your rewards and what other houses might offer you for future contracts.

Mechs are fully customizable, and pilots have skill trees which can affect how they play.

There's an overworld which involves travel expenses, repair expenses, and which houses you work for.

In general it sounds pretty interesting. I'm planning on sending them some cash because I'm a huge fanboy of the Battletech universe and because their other games have been pretty cool. I also think that their sticking to turn based will allow them to utilize more of the tabletop style rules than worrying about some of the weird stuff that happens when you try and transition the game to real time.

I heard about this the other day. I'm equally exited and scared for them, I have no idea what their business model is but my guess is that this project won't be sustainable for quite some time.

It's amusing to think that we have the North American League of Legends Studio in Santa Monica, Blizzcon at the Anaheim convention center, E3 at the LA convention Center and now an esports arena in Santa Ana.

source - http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/15/halo-5-frame-rate-resolution/

The developers at 343 Industries won't sacrifice Halo 5's aim for a buttery smooth 60 frames per second by adding local co-op (for now), and it turns out that the team isn't married to 1080p resolution if it means a lower frame rate, either. The game's creative lead Josh Holmes writes on Xbox Wire that maintaining that benchmark is the result of tech that allows the game to adjust the resolution on the fly.

[more at source]

They mention other games that have done this but it doesn't sound pretty.

I've heard of games that use different resolutions for single vs multiplayer on consoles, I haven't heard of adaptive resolution adjustments. That seems like a nightmare.

I also have absolutely no faith in 343 as a developer, nor in any other developer that mentions aiming for 60fps on consoles, the follow-through rate is a joke.

For reference the Master Chief collectors edition was developed and released by 343 and I heard it was absolute crap, the matchmaking didn't work worth a damn and the gameplay itself was in a broken state for multiple months. That's not a developer I would have any trust in, let alone trust to implement dynamic resolution changes or making sure the game runs at 60fps.