Cell Phones & Service

kuhla

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read a couple of the early reviews for the 5x/6p. The front facing speakers on both are kind of being described as low-ish quality. Not one person has noted any difference in picture quality between the 5x vs 6p in regards to EIS only being on the 6p. At the moment, I'm still a bit on the fence.

The fact that the front facing speakers aren't very good doesn't surprise me. I'd prefer something higher quality but I'd be more interested to see what the onboard DAC does, and if the audio quality for headphones was decent.

The EIS on the 6P should only be noticeable at 1080p and 720p resolutions. Because the 6P uses a smaller sensor (in Megapixels) it's EIS is going to be much less noticable than something like the Z5. Seeing examples of the Z5's EIS is mindblowing, but that's because of the massive amounts of overshoot it has to work with.

Honestly I don't expect to take much video with my cell phone, but I'd be interested in taking more photos than I currently do. And on that front I think the 5X and the 6P would achieve pretty similar results.

The only thing I'm really interested in seeing from the reviews is battery life. As long as the battery life isn't complete garbage I'll probably pick up a 5X and project Fi shortly.

The fact that the front facing speakers aren't very good doesn't surprise me.

I guess I was expecting a bit more. Boomsound spoiled me. If the 5x and 6p both do not have front-facing audio then there is not much point in making that a real advantage of the 6p.

The EIS on the 6P should only be noticeable at 1080p and 720p resolutions. Because the 6P uses a smaller sensor (in Megapixels) it's EIS is going to be much less noticable than something like the Z5. Seeing examples of the Z5's EIS is mindblowing, but that's because of the massive amounts of overshoot it has to work with.

Honestly I don't expect to take much video with my cell phone, but I'd be interested in taking more photos than I currently do. And on that front I think the 5X and the 6P would achieve pretty similar results.

I thought we had been over this: The 5x and 6p have 100% identical rear camera sensors. The reason the 6p can do EIS and higher framerate video is because of the stronger SoC.

Reviews from the iVerge:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/20/9571535/nexus-6p-review

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/20/9570815/google-nexus-5x-review

Sounds like the battery life is good on both devices, maybe slightly better on the 5X because of the smaller resolution. I'll give it a few days to read a few more reviews and then I'll just push for a 5X and project Fi.

My bet is that you could probably pull off the 240fps recording on the 5X, but it wouldn't be stable. I would assume that the phone would struggle with it, and might drop frames or even freeze up if you tried to capture a longer video.

I'm also hearing of an interesting DRM feature that activates when the bootloader is unlocked on the 6P.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/3phaw6/nexus_6p_has_a_hardware_fuse_that_blows/

Supposedly there's a small hardware fuse that shorts out permanently when the bootloader is unlocked. People are wondering if this is from Huawei or Google (although it might actually be built in to Qualcomm's SoC) and what features this may cause issues for. Right now people are focusing on Android pay, but it might also throw issues for Huawei's proprietary burst photo mode on the 6P as well. I assume this will be framed as "security" so that someone nefarious who steals your phone can't unlock the bootloader and gain access to your financial info stored on android pay. Although some of the arguments on Reddit point out that Google Wallet worked flawlessly on unlocked phones, and that Google seems to be locking down Android pay in a far more rigorous manner.

Supposedly there's a small hardware fuse that shorts out permanently when the bootloader is unlocked.

I can report I've had to deal with the above "e-fuse" issue on my Samsung sets of phones for a while now. In the Note 2, it was simply a software fuse. In the Note 4 which uses a Qualcomm chip, I suspect is a similar e-fuse.

I actually have avoided rooting in my Note 5 because they've gotten good enough that I find the need to tinker as much anymore. Very few need for root applications (generally it was Titanium Backup but now I have alternatives) and I want to avoid breaking another eFuse.

The real issues with this fuse - QFuse (for qualcomm I assume) is that Samsung set a bad precedent by not covering phones under warranty that had tripped the fuse. I think that's a dick move, but then again anti-consumer practices are pretty common in the entire tech sector.

Some people are worried about Google doing the same thing as Samsung.

There are a myriad of flaws for the A9. Not the least of which is that their trying to compete in the mid range, and they can't even properly hold up against the 5X.

The speakers were downgraded, SoC is worse, camera is much worse, no usb 3.0, HTC skin, updates will be worse; but don't worry it has expandable storage and a metal body that isn't gigantic.

There was a brief moment when a bunch of people thought this phone might be good, but everything that comes out about it has been super mediocre. This isn't going to save HTC, and with the way that company is going I wouldn't touch their devices with a 10 foot pole.

Sadly it looks like HTC is dead. Sony is trying their hardest to kill their own mobile division. Lenovo is trying to kill off Motorola. It's looking pretty sad for the OEM market right now.

what do you have in mind ?

Same list mainly as before.

There are reasons to be interested in the Moto X Pure, Sony Z5c, LG 5x, Huawei 6p. Every single one of those options has its own compromises. According to reviews, none of those have decent forward facing speakers that can be compared to what I have on my HTC One M7. I still want forward facing speaker. I assume the DAC is poor on all of them. Those all have or will get Marshmellow.

Camera, size, carrier compatibility, price, warranty, etc.

The 5x is the easiest option.

I see the usual new nexus devices (it's not listing old ones... hmmm) about 50 Sony Xperia Z3 and Z5 variants (hey look an M5 and C4), 2 Huawei phones that no one owns, an unreleased HTC device, and a handful of motorolas. That list looks like crap.

Although I'm mildly impressed that Sony pushed out an update that quickly. Too bad I can't buy their phones here in the US.

Although I'm mildly impressed that Sony pushed out an update that quickly.

For almost all the devices on that list it's "marshmallow officially promised" but not out yet. The only thing on that list with marshmallow and available today is the Nexus devices.

Yea, I don't think it's entirely fair to go after it for the speakers. I've seen them tested against the Moto X Pure edition and while they were noticeably worse, the Moto X Pure wasn't great (especially near max volume). I think HTC had their boomsound speakers down perfectly. I wouldn't be surprised if my HTC One m7 was still better than most other phones in that area.

As much as I'd like to consume more media on my phone than currently, I do feel like the number of times I would be using the speakers isn't enough to make it a priority.

The camera on the other hand is weird. I've seen some people say it performs well in low light and others bash its low light performance. Either way I do think the lack of OIS hurts, but not enough to stop it from being pretty damn good.

I personally hate the phablet trend, I'm just now coming around to the idea of a 5" or 5.2" phone as "standard" sized and I could see myself living with that, but I'm not a fan of anything bigger.

I'm not sure what's up with your order TIno, I know they started shipping some of the 6P/5X orders but maybe you got unlucky or were far back in line. If you don't hear anything in the next couple weeks I might try checking with their support though.

I just watched that video and I'm surprised what he said about the speakers. Most other reviewers have not been favorable.

....I'm just now coming around to the idea of a 5" or 5.2" phone as "standard" sized and I could see myself living with that, but I'm not a fan of anything bigger.

The only thing I would like to add to this is the situation I can illustrate with my current work phone compared to the Z5c. The Z5c is almost the exact same dimensions as my work phone but the screen is over ½ inch larger. The 5S is smaller than my HTC One and very portable by anyone's measurement. Here are other examples of this, this Sony phone which is smaller overall dimensions than the HTC One but has a larger 5" screen. A lot of phones are around the same width, and the differences in thickness is kind of laughable, so I personally have started categorizing "size" based on height measurements alone. Finding things under 140mm in the current market is pretty much nonexistant unless you just want to talk about the Z5c.

Most stuff is going to be right around the 145mm mark for height. Everyone seems to have that pegged as the new standard. What you're asking for is a compact phone, which no one has released, except Sony.

Look at some other major releases. The Sony Z5 is 146mm, the 5X is 147mm and the S6 is 143.4mm. When you consider that the S6 is arguably one of the "smaller" flagships of this generation you have to come to terms with what that leaves you. The bright side is that most of the phones now have a good ratio of screen:body. Almost everything is right around the 70% mark now, with the exception of iphones which sit around 60-65%.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7534&idPhone2=7556&idPhone3=6849